- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 627354, 6 pages
Benefit of BP Measurement in Pediatric ED Patients
1ED/ICU/Telemetry, HealthEast Woodwinds Health Campus, Woodbury, MN 55125, USA
2Emergency Department, HealthEast St. John’s Hospital, Maplewood, MN 55109, USA
Received 26 March 2012; Accepted 2 May 2012
Academic Editors: K. Clark and A. Green
Copyright © 2012 Karen M. Poor and Tamara Bostrack Ducklow. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Moro-Sutherland, “Elevated blood pressure in a crying, fussy child, Medscape Emergency Medicine,” 2008, http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/579982.
- Y. Gilhotra and F. Willis, “Blood pressure measurements on children in the emergency department,” Emergency Medicine Australasia, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 148–154, 2006.
- J. Gravel, L. Opatrny, and S. Gouin, “High rate of missing vital signs data at triage in a paediatric emergency department,” Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 211–215, 2006.
- M. A. Silverman, A. R. Walker, D. D. Nicolaou, and M. J. Bono, “The frequency of blood pressure measurements in children in four EDs,” American Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 784–788, 2000.
- M. E. Kleinman, L. Chameides, S. M. Schexnayder et al., “Part 14: pediatric advanced life support: 2010 American Heart Association guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care,” Circulation, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. S876–S908, 2010.
- M. L. Hansen, P. W. Gunn, and D. C. Kaelber, “Underdiagnosis of hypertension in children and adolescents,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 298, no. 8, pp. 874–879, 2007.
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents, “The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, supplement 2, pp. 555–576, 2004.
- X. Chen and Y. Wang, “Tracking of blood pressure from childhood to adulthood: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 25, pp. 3171–3180, 2008.
- A. Friedman, “Blood pressure screening in children: do we have this right?” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 153, no. 4, pp. 452–453, 2008.
- N. Gilboy, P. Tanabe, D. A. Travers, A. M. Rosenau, and D. R. Eitel, Emergency Severity Index, Version 4: Implementation Handbook, AHRQ Publication No. 05-0046-2, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, Md, USA, 2005.
- J. N. Stewart, D. McGillivray, J. Sussman, and B. Foster, “The value of routine blood pressure measurement in children presenting to the emergency department with nonurgent problems,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 153, no. 4, pp. 478–483, 2008.
- E. O'Brien, R. Asmar, L. Beilin et al., “European Society of hypertension recommendations for conventional, ambulatory and home blood pressure measurement,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 821–848, 2003.
- E. Lurbe, R. Cifkova, J. K. Cruickshank et al., “Management of high blood pressure in children and adolescents: recommendations of the european society of hypertension,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1719–1742, 2009.
- E. Urbina, B. Alpert, J. Flynn et al., “Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in children and adolescents: recommendations for standard assessment: a scientific statement from the american heart association atherosclerosis, hypertension, and obesity in youth committee of the council on cardiovascular disease in the young and the council for high blood pressure research,” Hypertension, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 433–451, 2008.
- A. F. Duncan, C. R. Rosenfeld, J. S. Morgan, N. Ahmad, and R. J. Heyne, “Interrater reliability and effect of state on blood Pressure measurements in infants 1 to 3 years of age,” Pediatrics, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. e590–e594, 2008.
- Z. V. Edmonds, W. R. Mower, L. M. Lovato, and R. Lomeli, “The reliability of vital sign measurements,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 233–237, 2002.
- A. Podoll, M. Grenier, B. Croix, and D. I. Feig, “Inaccuracy in pediatric outpatient blood pressure measurement,” Pediatrics, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. e538–e543, 2007.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Pediatric Emergency Medicine, American College of Emergency Physicians Pediatric Committee, Emergency Nurses Association Pediatric Committee, “Guidelines for care of children in the emergency department,” Pediatrics, vol. 124, pp. 1233–1124, 2009.