- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 929764, 5 pages
A Comparative Analysis of Cultural Competence in Beginning and Graduating Nursing Students
Department of Nursing, West Texas A&M University, P.O. Box 60969, Canyon, TX 79016, USA
Received 29 March 2013; Accepted 30 April 2013
Academic Editors: P. N. Clarke, A. Green, and B. Mandleco
Copyright © 2013 Helen Reyes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Bernstein, “Minority population tops 100 million,” U.S. Census Bureau News, 2007, http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/010048.html.
- United States Census Bureau, “Census shows America’s diversity,” 2010, http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/2010_census/cb11-cn125.html.
- United States Census Bureau, “US Census Bureau projections show a slower growing, older, more diverse nation a half century from now,” 2013, http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/population/cb12-243.html.
- R. Zoucha, “The keys to culturally sensitive care,” American Journal of Nursing, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 24GG–24II, 2000.
- Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Minority Health, Nursing Statistics, 2009, http://www.minoritynurse.com/minority-nursing-statistics.
- R. I. Gonzalez, M. B. Gooden, and C. P. Porter, “Eliminating racial and ethnic disparities in health care,” American Journal of Nursing, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 56–76, 2000.
- Institute of Medicine, “The future of nursing: leading change, advancing health,” 2010, http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=12956&page=R1.
- Texas Board of Nursing, “Continuing Education Requirements. Texas Administrative Code,” Title 22, Part 11, Chapter 216, Rule 216.3, 2012, http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, “Enhancing diversity in the nursing workforce,” 2011, https://www.aacn.nche.edu/media-relations/fact-sheets/enhancing-diversity.
- A. Finkelman and C. Kenner, Teaching IOM: Implications of the Institute of Medicine Reports for Nursing Education, ANA, Silver Spring, Md, USA, 2007.
- The Joint Commission, Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient- and Family-Centered Care: Roadmap for Hospitals, The Joint Commission, Oakbrook Terrace, Ill, USA, 2010.
- American Nurses Association, “Discrimination and racism in health care,” ANA Nursing World, 1998, http://nursingworld.org/readroom/position/ethics/etdisrac.htm.
- American Nurses Association, “Cultural diversity in nursing practice,” ANA Nursing World, 1991, http://www.nursingworld.org/readroom/position/ethics/etcldv.htm.
- J. Wrubel, T. A. Richards, S. Folkman, and M. C. Acree, “Tacit definitions of informal caregiving,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 175–181, 2001.
- J. Campinha-Bacote, “Cultural competence in nursing curricula: how are we doing 20 years later?” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 243–244, 2006.
- J. Campinha-Bocote, “Delivering patient-centered care in the modst of a cultural conflict: the role of cultural competence,” The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, vol. 16, no. 2, article 5, 2011.
- S. Breier-Mackie, “Cultural competence and patient advocacy: the new challenge for nurses,” Gastroenterology Nursing, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 120–122, 2007.
- E. Calvillo, L. Clark, J. E. Ballantyne, D. Pacquiao, L. D. Purnell, and A. M. Villarruel, “Cultural competency in baccalaureate nursing education,” Journal of Transcultural Nursing, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 137–145, 2009.
- B. Majumdar, G. Browne, J. Roberts, and B. Carpio, “Effects of cultural sensitivity training on health care provider attitudes and patient outcomes,” Journal of Nursing Scholarship, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 161–166, 2004.
- A. Z. Doorenbos, S. M. Schim, R. Benkert, and N. N. Borse, “Psychometric evaluation of the cultural competence assessment instrument among healthcare providers,” Nursing Research, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 324–331, 2005.
- T. M. Lampley, K. E. Little, R. Beck-Little, and X. Yu, “Cultural competence of North Carolina nurses: a journey from novice to expert,” Home Health Care Management and Practice, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 454–461, 2008.
- A. M. W. Brennan and V. T. Cotter, “Student perceptions of cultural competence content in the curriculum,” Journal of Professional Nursing, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 155–160, 2008.
- G. M. Musolino, S. T. Burkhalter, B. Crookston et al., “Understanding and eliminating disparities in health care: development and assessment of cultural competence for interdisciplinary health professionals at The University of Utah-a 3-year investigation,” Journal of Physical Therapy Education, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 25–36, 2010.
- J. Allen, “Improving cross-cultural care and antiracism in nursing education: a literature review,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 314–320, 2010.
- J. S. Reeves and C. Fogg, “Perceptions of graduating nursing students regarding life experiences that promote culturally competent care,” Journal of Transcultural Nursing, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 171–178, 2006.
- J. Leishman, “Perspectives of cultural competence in health care,” Nursing Standard, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 33–38, 2004.
- M. J. Upvall and M. L. Bost, “Developing cultural competence in nursing students through their experiences with a refugee population,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 380–383, 2007.
- P. W. Garrett, H. G. Dickson, L. Young, A. K. Whelan, and R. Forero, “What do non-English-speaking patients value in acute care? Cultural competency from the patient's perspective: a qualitative study,” Ethnicity and Health, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 479–496, 2008.
- A. Wikberg and K. Eriksson, “Intercultural caring—an abductive model,” Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 485–496, 2008.
- M. Leininger and M. R. McFarland, Transcultural Nursing: Concepts, Theories, Research, and Practice, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2002.
- J. Campinha-Bacote, “Many faces: addressing diversity in health care,” Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, vol. 8, no. 1, article 2, 2003.
- Leininger, Transcultural Nursing: Concepts, Theories, and Practices, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- P. L. Chinn and M. K. Kramer, Integrated Knowledge Development in Nursing, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 6th edition, 2004.
- S. M. Schim, A. Doorenbos, R. Benkert, and J. Miller, “Culturally congruent care: putting the puzzle together,” Journal of Transcultural Nursing, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 103–110, 2007.