- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 251632, 7 pages
Phase 1 Clinical Trial of Trametes versicolor in Women with Breast Cancer
1Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, Medical School, University of Minnesota, 420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 381, Mayo Building B529, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
2Bastyr University Research Institute, Bastyr University, 14500 Juanita Drive N.E., Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
Received 10 January 2012; Accepted 16 February 2012
Academic Editors: C. Nicco and J. Nylandsted
Copyright © 2012 Carolyn J. Torkelson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. M. Kidd, “The use of mushroom glucans and proteoglycans in cancer treatment,” Alternative Medicine Review, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 4–27, 2000.
- K. K. W. Chu, S. S. S. Ho, and A. H. L. Chow, “Coriolus versicolor: a medicinal mushroom with promising immunotherapeutic values,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 976–984, 2002.
- M. Fisher and L. X. Yang, “Anticancer effects and mechanisms of polysaccharide-K (PSK): implications of cancer immunotherapy,” Anticancer Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1737–1754, 2002.
- B. Z. Zaidman, M. Yassin, J. Mahajna, and S. P. Wasser, “Medicinal mushroom modulators of molecular targets as cancer therapeutics,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 453–468, 2005.
- T. Morimoto, M. Ogawa, K. Orita et al., “Postoperative adjuvant randomised trial comparing chemoendocrine therapy, chemotherapy and immunotherapy for patients with stage II breast cancer: 5-year results from the nishinihon cooperative study group of adjuvant chemoendocrine therapy for vreast cancer (ACETBC) of Japan,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 235–242, 1996.
- M. Toi, T. Hattori, M. Akagi et al., “Randomized adjuvant trial to evaluate the addition of tamoxifen and PSK to chemotherapy in patients with primary breast cancer: 5-year results from the Nishi-Nippon group of the adjuvant chemoendocrine therapy for breast cancer organization,” Cancer, vol. 70, no. 10, pp. 2475–2483, 1992.
- K. Ogoshi, H. Satou, K. Isono, et al., “Immunotherapy for esophageal cancer. A randomized trial in combination with radiotherapy and radiochemotherapy. Cooperative Study Group for Esophageal Cancer in Japan,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 216–222, 1995.
- H. Kobayashi, K. Matsunaga, and Y. Oguchi, “Antimetastatic effects of PSK (Krestin), a protein-bound polysaccharide obtained from basidiomycetes: an overview,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 275–281, 1995.
- L. J. Standish, L. N. Alschuler, A. B. Ready, et al., “Botanical medicine in integrative oncology,” in Integrat ed Oncology, D. I. Abrams and A. T. Weil, Eds., pp. 104–146, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- H. Lu, Y. Yang, E. Gad et al., “Polysaccharide krestin is a novel TLR2 agonist that mediates inhibition of tumor growth via stimulation of CD8 T cells and NK cells,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 67–76, 2011.
- C. J. M. Melief, “Tumor eradication by adoptive transfer of cytotoxic T lymphocytes,” Advances in Cancer Research, vol. 58, pp. 143–175, 1992.
- S. Cunningham-Rundles, D. A. Filippa, and D. W. Braun, “Natural cytotoxicity of peripheral blood lymphocytes and regional lymph node cells in breast cancer in women,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 585–590, 1981.
- H. Yamazaki, Y. Yoshioka, T. Inoue et al., “Changes in natural killer cell activity by external radiotherapy and/or brachytherapy,” Oncology Reports, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 359–363, 2002.
- E. Tichatschek, C. C. Zielinski, C. Muller et al., “Long-term influence of adjuvant therapy on natural killer cell activity in breast cancer,” Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 278–282, 1988.
- B. L. Andersen, W. B. Farrar, D. Golden-Kreutz et al., “Stress and immune responses after surgical treatment for regional breast cancer,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 30–36, 1998.
- L. J. Standish, C. Torkelson, F. A. Hamill et al., “Immune defects in breast cancer patients after radiotherapy,” Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 110–121, 2008.
- S. A. Motzer, J. Tsuji, V. Hertig, S. K. Johnston, and J. Scanlan, “Natural killer cell cytotoxicity: a methods analysis of 51chromium release versus flow cytometry,” Biological Research for Nursing, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 142–152, 2003.
- J. Bryant, R. Day, T. L. Whiteside, and R. B. Herbermann, “Calculation of lytic units for the expression of cell-mediated cytotoxicity,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 146, no. 1, pp. 91–103, 1992.
- L. J. Standish, C. A. Wenner, E. S. Sweet et al., “Trametes versicolor mushroom immune therapy in breast cancer,” Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 122–128, 2008.
- G. Suck and M. B.C. Koh, “Emerging natural killer cell immunotherapies: large-scale ex vivo production of highly potent anticancer effectors,” Hematology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 135–142, 2010.
- S. Cooley and D. S. Weisdorf, “Natural killer cells and tumor control,” Current Opinion in Hematology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 514–521, 2010.
- L. Barkholt, E. Alici, R. Conrad et al., “Safety analysis of ex vivo-expanded NK and NK-like T cells administered to cancer patients: a phase I clinical study,” Immunotherapy, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 753–764, 2009.