- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 239241, 7 pages
Evaluation of Serum Calcium as a Predictor of Biochemical Recurrence following Salvage Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer
1Department of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic Florida, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
2Section of Biostatistics, Mayo Clinic Florida, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
3Department of Urology, Mayo Clinic Florida, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
4Department of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Received 21 February 2013; Accepted 12 March 2013
Academic Editors: J. Bentel, A. E. Bilsland, B. Comin-Anduix, A. E. Pinto, and L.-M. Sun
Copyright © 2013 Jennifer L. Peterson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. R. Pound, A. W. Partin, M. A. Eisenberger, D. W. Chan, J. D. Pearson, and P. C. Walsh, “Natural history of progression after PSA elevation following radical prostatectomy,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 281, no. 17, pp. 1591–1597, 1999.
- S. J. Buskirk, T. M. Pisansky, S. E. Schild et al., “Salvage radiotherapy for isolated prostate specific antigen increase after radical prostatectomy: evaluation of prognostic factors and creation of a prognostic scoring system,” Journal of Urology, vol. 176, no. 3, pp. 985–990, 2006.
- B. J. Trock, M. Han, S. J. Freedland et al., “Prostate cancer-specific survival following salvage radiotherapy vs observation in men with biochemical recurrence after radical prostatectomy,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 23, pp. 2760–2769, 2008.
- A. J. Stephenson, P. T. Scardino, M. W. Kattan et al., “Predicting the outcome of salvage radiation therapy for recurrent prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 15, pp. 2035–2041, 2007.
- A. S. Parker, M. G. Heckman, K. J. Wu et al., “Evaluation of ki-67 staining levels as an independent biomarker of biochemical recurrence after salvage radiation therapy for prostate cancer,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 1364–1370, 2009.
- A. S. Parker, M. G. Heckman, Y. Sheinin et al., “Evaluation of B7-H3 expression as a biomarker of biochemical recurrence after salvage radiation therapy for recurrent prostate cancer,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 1343–1349, 2011.
- M. G. Heckman, A. S. Parker, K. J. Wu et al., “Evaluation of MDM2, p16, and p53 staining levels as biomarkers of biochemical recurrence following salvage radiation therapy for recurrent prostate cancer,” Prostate, vol. 72, no. 16, pp. 1757–1766, 2012.
- H. G. Skinner and G. G. Schwartz, “Serum calcium and incident and fatal prostate cancer in the national health and nutrition examination survey,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 2302–2305, 2008.
- H. G. Skinner and G. G. Schwartz, “A prospective study of total and ionized serum calcium and fatal prostate cancer,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 575–578, 2009.
- C. L. Amling, E. J. Bergstralh, M. L. Blute, J. M. Slezak, and H. Zincke, “Defining prostate specific antigen progression after radical prostatectomy: what is the most appropriate cut point?” Journal of Urology, vol. 165, no. 4, pp. 1146–1151, 2001.
- J. R. Bernard Jr., S. J. Buskirk, M. G. Heckman et al., “Salvage radiotherapy for rising prostate-specific antigen levels after radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer: dose-response analysis,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 735–740, 2010.
- C. K. Ritchie, K. G. Thomas, L. R. Andrews, D. J. Tindall, and L. A. Fitzpatrick, “Effects of the calciotrophic peptides calcitonin and parathyroid hormone on prostate cancer growth and chemotaxis,” Prostate, vol. 30, pp. 183–187, 1997.
- J. L. Sanders, N. Chattopadhyay, O. Kifor, T. Yamaguchi, and E. M. Brown, “Ca2+-sensing receptor expression and PTHrP secretion in PC-3 human prostate cancer cells,” American Journal of Physiology—Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 281, no. 6, pp. E1267–E1274, 2001.
- J. Liao, A. Schneider, N. S. Datta, and L. K. McCauley, “Extracellular calcium as a candidate mediator of prostate cancer skeletal metastasis,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 18, pp. 9065–9073, 2006.
- M. Huncharek, J. Muscat, and B. Kupelnick, “Dairy products, dietary calcium and vitamin D intake as risk factors for prostate cancer: a meta-analysis of 26,769 cases from 45 observational studies,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 421–441, 2008.
- X. Gao, M. P. LaValley, and K. L. Tucker, “Prospective studies of dairy product and calcium intakes and prostate cancer risk: a meta-analysis,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 97, no. 23, pp. 1768–1777, 2005.
- C. Halthur, A. L. V. Johansson, M. Almquist et al., “Serum calcium and the risk of prostate cancer,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1205–1214, 2009.
- M. K. Tollefson, M. T. Gettman, M. L. Blute, E. J. Bergstralh, L. J. Rangel, and R. J. Karnes, “Serum calcium is not predictive of aggressive prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy,” Urology, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 1161–1165, 2011.