- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 358538, 6 pages
Oxaliplatin and Bolus-Modulated 5-Fluorouracil as a Second-Line Treatment for Advanced Pancreatic Cancer: Can Bolus Regimens Replace FOLFOX When Considered for Second Line?
1GIT and Gynecological Oncology Unit, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11539, Egypt
2Department of Clinical Oncology, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11539, Egypt
Received 1 November 2012; Accepted 20 December 2012
Academic Editors: G. Ferrandina and P. Karakitsos
Copyright © 2013 A. Azmy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. S. Hochster, D. G. Haller, A. De Gramont et al., “Consensus report of the International Society of Gastrointestinal Oncology on therapeutic progress in advanced pancreatic cancer,” Cancer, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 676–685, 2006.
- D. Cunningham, I. Chau, D. D. Stocken et al., “Phase III randomized comparison of gemcitabine versus gemcitabine plus capecitabine in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 33, pp. 5513–5518, 2009.
- M. A. Tempero, S. Behrman, E. Ben-Josef, et al., “Pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Clinical practice guidelines in oncology,” Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 598–626, 2005, http://www.nccn.org/index.asp.
- U. Pelzer, I. Schwaner, J. Stieler et al., “Best supportive care (BSC) versus oxaliplatin, folinic acid and 5-fluorouracil (OFF) plus BSC in patients for second-line advanced pancreatic cancer: a phase III-study from the German CONKO-study group,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 1676–1681, 2011.
- K. Nakachi, J. Furuse, H. Ishii, E. I. Suzuki, and M. Yoshino, “Prognostic factors in patients with gemcitabine-refractory pancreatic cancer,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 114–120, 2007.
- J. L. Fischel, M. C. Etienne, P. Formento, and G. Milano, “Search for the optimal schedule for the oxaliplatin/5-fluorouracil association modulated or not by folinic acid: preclinical data,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 2529–2535, 1998.
- P. Therasse, S. G. Arbuck, E. A. Eisenhauer, et al., “New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 92, pp. 205–216, 2000.
- T. T. Chen and T. H. Ng, “Optimal flexible designs in phase II clinical trials,” StatMed, vol. 17, no. 20, pp. 2301–2312, 1998.
- H. A. Burris III, M. J. Moore, J. Andersen, et al., “Improvements in survival and clinical benefit with gemcitabine as first-line therapy for patients with advanced pancreas cancer: a randomized trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 15, pp. 2403–2413, 1997.
- “NCCN Clinical practice guidelines in oncology (NCCN GuidelinesTM) pancreatic adenocarcinoma version 2,” 2012, http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp.
- E. Gebbia, E. Maiello, F. Giuliani et al., “Second-line chemotherapy in advanced pancreatic carcinoma: a multicenter survey of the Gruppo Oncologico Italia Meridionale on the activity and safety of the FOLFOX4 regimen in clinical practice,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. vi124–vi127, 2007.
- H. Oettle, U. Pelzer, J. Stieler, et al., “Oxaliplatin/folinic acid/5-fluorouracil [24h] (OFF) plus best supportive care versus best supportive care alone (BSC) in second-line therapy of gemcitabine-refractory advanced pancreatic cancer (CONKO 003),” J Clin Oncol, vol. 23, no. 16S, article 4031, 2005.
- U. Pelzer, C. Hempel, J. Stieler, et al., “Oxaliplatin (OXA) in combination with high dose 5-FU (24 h)/folinic acid (FA) as salvage therapy in patients with gemzar-refractory advanced pancreatic cancer,” Proceedings of American Society of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, article 172, 2002.
- J. - Philip Kuebler, H. Samuel Wieand, J. Michael O’Connell, E. Roy Smith, H. Linda Colangelo, et al., “Oxaliplatin combined with weekly bolus fluorouracil and leucovorin as surgical adjuvant chemotherapy for stage II and III colon cancer: results from NSABP C-07,” JCO, vol. 25, no. 16, pp. 2199–2204, 2007.
- V. Gebbia, E. Maiello, F. Giuliani et al., “Second-line chemotherapy in advanced pancreatic carcinoma: a multicenter survey of the Gruppo Oncologico Italia Meridionale on the activity and safety of the FOLFOX4 regimen in clinical practice,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. vi124–vi127, 2007.
- N. Tsavaris, C. Kosmas, H. Skopelitis et al., “Second-line treatment with oxaliplatin, leucovorin and 5-fluorouracil in gemcitabine-pretreated advanced pancreatic cancer: a phase II study,” Investigational New Drugs, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 369–375, 2005.