- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 675051, 8 pages
Cell Proliferation (KI-67) Expression Is Associated with Poorer Prognosis in Nigerian Compared to British Breast Cancer Women
1Department of Morbid Anatomy and Histopathology, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Sagamu, Nigeria
2Specialist Laboratory, Idi-Araba, Lagos, Nigeria
3Department of Surgery, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Sagamu, Nigeria
4Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Sagamu, Nigeria
5School of Molecular Medical Science, Oncology Unit, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Received 25 February 2013; Accepted 14 March 2013
Academic Editors: Y. Akiyama, Z. S. Guo, and Y. Yamamoto
Copyright © 2013 Ayodeji O. J. Agboola et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Amend, D. Hicks, and C. B. Ambrosone, “Breast cancer in African-American women: differences in tumor biology from European-American women,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 17, pp. 8327–8330, 2006.
- T. G. Ijaduola and E. B. Smith, “Pattern of breast cancer among White-American, African-American, and nonimmigrant West-African women,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 547–551, 1998.
- C. Smigal, A. Jemal, E. Ward et al., “Trends in breast cancer by race and ethnicity: update 2006,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 168–183, 2006.
- F. Bray, P. McCarron, and D. M. Parkin, “The changing global patterns of female breast cancer incidence and mortality,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 229–239, 2004.
- F. Kamangar, G. M. Dores, and W. F. Anderson, “Patterns of cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence across five continents: defining priorities to reduce cancer disparities in different geographic regions of the world,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 14, pp. 2137–2150, 2006.
- A. J. Agboola, A. A. Musa, N. Wanangwa et al., “Molecular characteristics and prognostic features of breast cancer in Nigerian compared with UK women,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 555–569, 2012.
- A. Ghafoor, A. Jemal, E. Ward, V. Cokkinides, R. Smith, and M. Thun, “Trends in breast cancer by race and ethnicity,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 342–355, 2003.
- M. A. Aleskandarany, A. R. Green, E. A. Rakha et al., “Growth fraction as a predictor of response to chemotherapy in node-negative breast cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 126, no. 7, pp. 1761–1769, 2010.
- H. Dai, L. Van't Veer, J. Lamb et al., “A cell proliferation signature is a marker of extremely poor outcome in a subpopulation of breast cancer patients,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 4059–4066, 2005.
- P. L. Porter, M. J. Lund, M. G. Lin et al., “Racial differences in the expression of cell cycle-regulatory proteins in breast carcinoma: study of young African American and white women in Atlanta, Georgia,” Cancer, vol. 100, no. 12, pp. 2533–2542, 2004.
- C. J. Sherr, “G1 phase progression: cycling on cue,” Cell, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 551–555, 1994.
- T. Hunter and J. Pines, “Cyclins and cancer II: cyclin D and CDK inhibitors come of age,” Cell, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 573–582, 1994.
- X. Grana and E. P. Reddy, “Cell cycle control in mammalian cells: role of cyclins, cyclin dependent kinases (CDKs), growth suppressor genes and cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors (CKIs),” Oncogene, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 211–219, 1995.
- Y. Wu, H. Luo, N. Kanaan, and J. Wu, “The proteasome controls the expression of a proliferation-associated nuclear antigen Ki-67,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 596–604, 2000.
- E. Endl and J. Gerdes, “The Ki-67 protein: fascinating forms and an unknown function,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 257, no. 2, pp. 231–237, 2000.
- J. Finek, L. Holubec Jr., O. Topolcan, L. Elgrova, A. Skalova, and L. Pecen, “The importance of prognostic factors in premenopausal women with breast cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 1893–1896, 2007.
- E. De Azambuja, F. Cardoso, G. De Castro et al., “Ki-67 as prognostic marker in early breast cancer: a meta-analysis of published studies involving 12 155 patients,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 1504–1513, 2007.
- C. Ruiz, S. Seibt, K. Al Kuraya et al., “Tissue microarrays for comparing molecular features with proliferation activity in breast cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 118, no. 9, pp. 2190–2194, 2006.
- M. A. Irigoyen, F. V. Garcia, A. C. Iturriagagoitia, B. I. Beroiz, M. S. Martinez, and F. G. Grima, “Molecular subtypes of breast cancer: prognostic implications and clinical and immunohistochemical characteristics,” Anales del Sistema Sanitario de Navarra, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 219–233.
- A. Jemal, L. X. Clegg, E. Ward et al., “Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975–2001, with a special feature regarding survival,” Cancer, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 3–27, 2004.
- G. J. Morris, S. Naidu, A. K. Topham et al., “Differences in breast carcinoma characteristics in newly diagnosed African-American and Caucasian patients: a single-institution compilation compared with the national cancer institute's surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database,” Cancer, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 876–884, 2007.
- J. W. Eloy, H. A. Hill, V. W. Chen et al., “Racial differences in survival from breast cancer: results of the National Cancer Institute Black/White Cancer Survival Study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 272, no. 12, pp. 947–954, 1994.
- R. M. Elledge, G. M. Clark, G. C. Chamness, and C. K. Osborne, “Tumor biologic factors and breast cancer prognosis among white, Hispanic, and black women in the United States,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 705–712, 1994.
- D. M. Abd El-Rehim, G. Ball, S. E. Finder et al., “High-throughput protein expression analysis using tissue microarray technology of a large well-characterised series identifies biologically distinct classes of breast cancer confirming recent cDNA expression analyses,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 340–350, 2005.
- D. M. Abd El-Rehim, S. E. Pinder, C. E. Paish et al., “Expression and co-expression of the members of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) family in invasive breast carcinoma,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 1532–1542, 2004.
- E. A. Rakha, D. A. El-Rehim, C. Paish et al., “Basal phenotype identifies a poor prognostic subgroup of breast cancer of clinical importance,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 42, no. 18, pp. 3149–3156, 2006.
- E. A. Rakha, M. E. El-Sayed, A. R. Green, A. H. S. Lee, J. F. Robertson, and I. O. Ellis, “Prognostic markers in triple-negative breast cancer,” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2007.
- Z. Madjd, S. E. Pinder, C. Paish, I. O. Ellis, J. Carmichael, and L. G. Durrant, “Loss of CD59 expression in breast tumours correlates with poor survival,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 200, no. 5, pp. 633–639, 2003.
- L. M. McShane, D. G. Altman, W. Sauerbrei, S. E. Taube, M. Gion, and G. M. Clark, “Reporting recommendations for tumor marker prognostic studies,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 36, pp. 9067–9072, 2005.
- J. Kononen, L. Bubendorf, A. Kallioniemi et al., “Tissue microarrays for high-throughput molecular profiling of tumor specimens,” Nature Medicine, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 844–847, 1998.
- T. M. Abdel-Fatah, D. G. Powe, J. Agboola et al., “The biological, clinical and prognostic implications of p53 transcriptional pathways in breast cancers,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 220, no. 4, pp. 419–434, 2010.
- E. A. Rakha, D. Abd El Rehim, S. E. Pinder, S. A. Lewis, and I. O. Ellis, “E-cadherin expression in invasive non-lobular carcinoma of the breast and its prognostic significance,” Histopathology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 685–693, 2005.
- A. C. Wolff, M. E. H. Hammond, J. N. Schwartz et al., “American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 118–145, 2007.
- T. García-Caballero, D. Grabau, A. R. Green et al., “Determination of HER2 amplification in primary breast cancer using dual-colour chromogenic in situ hybridization is comparable to fluorescence in situ hybridization: a European multicentre study involving 168 specimens,” Histopathology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 472–480, 2010.
- T. O. Nielsen, F. D. Hsu, K. Jensen et al., “Immunohistochemical and clinical characterization of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 16, pp. 5367–5374, 2004.
- K. Keyomarsi, S. L. Tucker, T. A. Buchholz et al., “Cyclin E and survival in patients with breast cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 20, pp. 1566–1575, 2002.
- N. H. Nielsen, M. Lodén, J. Cajander, S. O. Emdin, and G. Landberg, “G1-S transition defects occur in most breast cancers and predict outcome,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 1999.
- P. L. Porter, K. E. Malone, P. J. Heagerty et al., “Expression of cell-cycle regulators p27(Kip1) and cyclin E, alone and in combination, correlate with survival in young breast cancer patients,” Nature Medicine, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 222–225, 1997.
- H. Ghebeh, A. Tulbah, S. Mohammed et al., “Expression of B7-H1 in breast cancer patients is strongly associated with high proliferative Ki-67-expressing tumor cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 751–758, 2007.
- D. M. Al Tamimi, M. A. Shawarby, A. Ahmed, A. K. Hassan, and A. A. AlOdaini, “Protein expression profile and prevalence pattern of the molecular classes of breast cancer—a Saudi population based study,” BMC Cancer, vol. 10, article 223, 2010.
- D. Huo, F. Ikpatt, A. Khramtsov et al., “Population differences in breast cancer: survey in indigenous african women reveals over-representation of triple-negative breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 27, pp. 4515–4521, 2009.
- V. L. Shavers, L. C. Harlan, and J. L. Stevens, “Racial/ethnic variation in clinical presentation, treatment, and survival among breast cancer patients under age 35,” Cancer, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 134–147, 2003.
- S. E. Weiss, P. I. Tartter, S. Ahmed et al., “Ethnic differences in risk and prognostic factors for breast cancer.,” Cancer, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 268–274, 1995.
- J. A. Niemiec, A. Adamczyk, K. Malecki, K. Majchrzyk, and J. Rys, “Relationships between immunophenotype, Ki-67 index, microvascular density, Ep-CAM/P-cadherin, and MMP-2 expression in early-stage invasive ductal breast cancer,” Applied Immunohistochemistry & Molecular Morphology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 550–560, 2012.
- J. Konsti, M. Lundin, H. Joensuu et al., “Development and evaluation of a virtual microscopy application for automated assessment of Ki-67 expression in breast cancer,” BMC Clinical Pathology, vol. 11, article 3, 2011.
- Y. Endo, T. Toyama, S. Takahashi et al., “High estrogen receptor expression and low Ki67 expression are associated with improved time to progression during first-line endocrine therapy with aromatase inhibitors in breast cancer,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, pp. 1–7, 2011.
- A. Urruticoechea, I. E. Smith, and M. Dowsett, “Proliferation marker Ki-67 in early breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 28, pp. 7212–7220, 2005.
- M. Railo, J. Lundin, C. Haglund, K. Von Smitten, and S. Nordling, “Ki-67, p53, ER receptors, ploidy and S phase as long-term prognostic factors in T1 node-negative breast cancer,” Tumor Biology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 2006.