- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 768647, 8 pages
Does Changeover by an Experienced Open Prostatic Surgeon from Open Retropubic to Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy Mean a Step Forward or Backward?
1Department of Urology, Pediatric Urology and Urologic Oncology, Kliniken Essen-Mitte, Henricistraβe 92, 45136 Essen, Germany
2Institute for Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, University of Duisburg-Essen, Hufelandstraβe 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
3Die Gesundheitsunion, Urology Health Center, Alter Markt 5-7, 42275 Wuppertal, Germany
Received 19 December 2012; Accepted 9 January 2013
Academic Editors: J. Bentel, Z. S. Guo, R. Nahta, D. Peng, and R. V. Sionov
Copyright © 2013 Michael Musch et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “Intuitive Surgical—Investors—Investor FAQ,” http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=122359&p=irol-faq.
- A. Tewari, A. Srivasatava, and M. Menon, “A prospective comparison of radical retropubic and robot-assisted prostatectomy: experience in one institution,” BJU International, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 205–210, 2003.
- T. E. Ahlering, D. Woo, L. Eichel, D. I. Lee, R. Edwards, and D. W. Skarecky, “Robot-assisted versus open radical prostatectomy: a comparison of one surgeon's outcomes,” Urology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 819–822, 2004.
- T. M. Webster, S. D. Herrell, S. S. Chang et al., “Robotic assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy versus retropubic radical prostatectomy: a prospective assessment of postoperative pain,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 174, no. 3, pp. 912–914, 2005.
- S. B. Farnham, T. M. Webster, S. D. Herrell, and J. A. Smith Jr., “Intraoperative blood loss and transfusion requirements for robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy versus radical retropubic prostatectomy,” Urology, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 360–363, 2006.
- B. Nelson, M. Kaufman, G. Broughton et al., “Comparison of length of hospital stay between radical retropubic prostatectomy and robotic assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 177, no. 3, pp. 929–931, 2007.
- J. Miller, A. Smith, E. Kouba, E. Wallen, and R. S. Pruthi, “Prospective evaluation of short-term impact and recovery of health related quality of life in men undergoing robotic assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy versus open radical prostatectomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 3, part 1, pp. 854–859, 2007.
- J. A. Smith Jr., R. C. Chan, S. S. Chang et al., “A comparison of the incidence and location of positive surgical margins in robotic assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy and open retropubic radical prostatectomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 6, pp. 2385–2390, 2007.
- F. R. Schroeck, L. Sun, S. J. Freedland et al., “Comparison of prostate-specific antigen recurrence-free survival in a contemporary cohort of patients undergoing either radical retropubic or robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” BJU International, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 28–32, 2008.
- A. E. Krambeck, D. S. DiMarco, L. J. Rangel et al., “Radical prostatectomy for prostatic adenocarcinoma: a matched comparison of open retropubic and robot-assisted techniques,” BJU International, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 448–453, 2009.
- M. A. White, A. P. De Haan, D. D. Stephens, T. K. Maatman, and T. J. Maatman, “Comparative analysis of surgical margins between radical retropubic prostatectomy and RALP: are patients sacrificed during initiation of robotics program?” Urology, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 567–571, 2009.
- V. Ficarra, G. Novara, S. Fracalanza et al., “A prospective, non-randomized trial comparing robot-assisted laparoscopic and retropubic radical prostatectomy in one european institution,” BJU International, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 534–539, 2009.
- R. C. D'Alonzo, T. J. Gan, J. W. Moul et al., “A retrospective comparison of anesthetic management of robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy versus radical retropubic prostatectomy,” Journal of Clinical Anesthesia, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 322–328, 2009.
- B. Rocco, D. V. Matei, S. Melegari et al., “Robotic vs open prostatectomy in a laparoscopically naive centre: a matched-pair analysis,” BJU International, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 991–995, 2009.
- D. A. Barocas, S. Salem, Y. Kordan et al., “Robotic assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy versus radical retropubic prostatectomy for clinically localized prostate cancer: comparison of short-term biochemical recurrence-free survival,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 183, no. 3, pp. 990–996, 2010.
- S. Carlsson, A. E. Nilsson, M. C. Schumacher et al., “Surgery-related complications in 1253 robot-assisted and 485 open retropubic radical prostatectomies at the Karolinska University Hospital, Sweden,” Urology, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 1092–1097, 2010.
- N. Doumerc, C. Yuen, R. Savdie et al., “Should experienced open prostatic surgeons convert to robotic surgery? the real learning curve for one surgeon over 3 years,” BJU International, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 378–384, 2010.
- Y. Kordan, D. A. Barocas, H. O. Altamar et al., “Comparison of transfusion requirements between open and robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” BJU International, vol. 106, no. 7, pp. 1036–1040, 2010.
- G. B. Di Pierro, P. Baumeister, P. Stucki, J. Beatrice, H. Danuser, and A. Mattei, “A prospective trial comparing consecutive series of open retropubic and robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy in a centre with a limited caseload,” European Urology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2011.
- Q. D. Trinh, J. Sammon, M. Sun et al., “Perioperative outcomes of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy compared with open radical prostatectomy: results from the nationwide inpatient sample,” European Urology, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 679–685, 2012.
- M. Menon, A. Shrivastava, S. Kaul et al., “Vattikuti Institute prostatectomy: contemporary technique and analysis of results,” European Urology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 648–658, 2007.
- V. R. Patel, R. Thaly, and K. Shah, “Robotic radical prostatectomy: outcomes of 500 cases,” BJU International, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 1109–1112, 2007.
- A. Mottrie, P. Van Migem, G. De Naeyer, P. Schatteman, P. Carpentier, and E. Fonteyne, “Robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: oncologic and functional results of 184 cases,” European Urology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 746–751, 2007.
- E. Rodriguez, D. S. Finley, D. Skarecky, and T. E. Ahlering, “Single institution 2-year patient reported validated sexual function outcomes after nerve sparing robot assisted radical prostatectomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 181, no. 1, pp. 259–263, 2009.
- R. F. Coelho, K. J. Palmer, B. Rocco et al., “Early complication rates in a single-surgeon series of 2500 robotic-assisted radical prostatectomies: report applying a standardized grading system,” European Urology, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 945–952, 2010.
- M. Menon, M. Bhandari, N. Gupta et al., “Biochemical recurrence following robot-assisted radical prostatectomy: analysis of 1384 patients with a median 5-year follow-up,” European Urology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 838–846, 2010.
- V. R. Patel, A. Sivaraman, R. F. Coelho et al., “Pentafecta: a new concept for reporting outcomes of robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 702–707, 2011.
- V. R. Patel, R. F. Coelho, B. Rocco et al., “Positive surgical margins after robotic assisted radical prostatectomy: a multi-institutional study,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 186, no. 2, pp. 511–516, 2011.
- S. D. Herrell and J. A. Smith, “Robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy: what is the learning curve?” Urology, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 105–107, 2005.
- V. R. Patel, A. S. Tully, R. Holmes, and J. Lindsay, “Robotic radical prostatectomy in the community setting—the learning curve and beyond: initial 200 cases,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 174, no. 1, pp. 269–272, 2005.
- F. Atug, E. P. Castle, S. K. Srivastav, S. V. Burgess, R. Thomas, and R. Davis, “Positive surgical margins in robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy: impact of learning curve on oncologic outcomes,” European Urology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 866–872, 2006.
- W. Artibani, S. Fracalanza, S. Cavalleri et al., “Learning curve and preliminary experience with da Vinci-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 237–244, 2008.
- F. Rocco, L. Carmignani, P. Acquati et al., “Restoration of Posterior Aspect of Rhabdosphincter Shortens Continence Time After Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 175, no. 6, pp. 2201–2206, 2006.
- P. C. Walsh, H. Lepor, and J. C. Eggleston, “Radical prostatectomy with preservation of sexual function: anatomical and pathological considerations,” Prostate, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 473–485, 1983.
- J. L. Donovan, T. J. Peters, P. Abrams, S. T. Brookes, J. J. M. C. H. De La Rosette, and W. Schäfer, “Scoring the short form ICSmaleSF questionnaire,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 164, no. 6, pp. 1948–1955, 2000.
- R. C. Rosen, J. C. Cappelleri, M. D. Smith, J. Lipsky, and B. M. Peñ, “Development and evaluation of an abridged, 5-item version of the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF-5) as a diagnostic tool for erectile dysfunction,” International Journal of Impotence Research, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 319–326, 1999.
- P. A. Clavien, J. Barkun, M. L. de Oliveira et al., “The clavien-dindo classification of surgical complications: five-year experience,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 250, no. 2, pp. 187–196, 2009.
- H. Dev, N. L. Sharma, S. N. Dawson, D. E. Neal, and N. Shah, “Detailed analysis of operating time learning curves in robotic prostatectomy by a novice surgeon,” BJU International, vol. 109, no. 7, pp. 1074–1080, 2012.
- F. Porpiglia, C. Terrone, R. Tarabuzzi et al., “Transperitoneal versus extraperitoneal laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: experience of a single center,” Urology, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 376–380, 2006.
- P. Swindle, J. A. Eastham, M. Ohori et al., “Do margins matter? The prognostic significance of positive surgical margins in radical prostatectomy specimens,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 174, no. 3, pp. 903–907, 2005.
- S. A. Kaul, J. O. Peabody, N. Shah, D. Neal, and M. Menon, “Establishing a robotic prostatectomy programme: the impact of mentoring using a structured approach,” BJU International, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 1143–1144, 2006.