- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 912728, 4 pages
Fine-Needle Aspiration in the Diagnosis of Thyroid Diseases: An Appraisal in Our Institution
Department of Pathology, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 51664, Iran
Received 13 June 2012; Accepted 2 August 2012
Academic Editors: M. A. Gulcelik, K. K. Khurana, A. Pafiti, and P. Soares
Copyright © 2012 Heydar Ali Esmaili and Hassan Taghipour. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. C. faquin, “Aspiration of the thyroid,” in Atlas of Diagnostic Cytopathology, B. F. Atkinson, Ed., pp. 460–470, Saunders, 2004.
- K. R. Geisin, M. W. Stanley, S. S. Raab, J. F. Silverman, and A. Abati, Modern Cytopathology, Churchill Livingstone, 2004.
- J. L. Jameson, “Disorders of the thyroid gland,” in Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, A. S. Fauci, E. Branunwald, D. L. Kasper et al., Eds., pp. 2224–2247, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 17th edition, 2008.
- M. J. Yeung and J. W. Serpell, “Management of the solitary thyroid nodule,” Oncologist, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 2008.
- G. M. Sclabas, G. A. Staerkel, S. E. Shapiro et al., “Fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid and correlation with histopathology in a contemporary series of 240 patients,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 186, no. 6, pp. 702–710, 2003.
- J. F. Silverman, R. L. West, and E. W. Larkin, “The role of fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the rapid diagnosis and management of thyroid neoplasm,” Cancer, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1164–1170, 1986.
- M. T. Rojeski and H. Gharib, “Nodular thyroid disease. Evaluation and management,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 313, no. 7, pp. 428–436, 1985.
- M. A. Charles and K. S. Heller, “Cytologic determinants of well-differentiated thyroid cancer,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 174, no. 5, pp. 545–547, 1997.
- J. R. Goellner, H. Gharib, C. S. Grant, and D. A. Johnson, “Fine needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid, 1980 to 1986,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 587–590, 1987.
- G. L. La Rosa, A. Belfiore, D. Giuffrida et al., “Evaluation of the fine needle aspiration biopsy in the preoperative selection of cold thyroid nodules,” Cancer, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 2137–2141, 1991.
- H. Gharib and J. R. Goellner, “Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid: an appraisal,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 282–289, 1993.
- R. E. Goldstein, J. L. Netterville, B. Burkey, and J. E. Johnson, “Implications of follicular neoplasms, atypia, and lesions suspicious for malignancy diagnosed by fine-needle aspiration of thyroid nodules,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 235, no. 5, pp. 656–664, 2002.
- L. J. Layfield, A. Reichman, K. Bottles, and A. Giuliano, “Clinical determinants for the management of thyroid nodules by fine-needle aspiration cytology,” Archives of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 118, no. 7, pp. 717–721, 1992.
- Y. Liel, S. Ariad, and M. Barchana, “Long-term follow-up of patients with initially benign thyroid fine-needle aspirations,” Thyroid, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 775–778, 2001.
- E. Marqusee, C. B. Benson, M. C. Frates et al., “Usefulness of ultrasonography in the management of nodular thyroid disease,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 133, no. 9, pp. 696–700, 2000.
- C. Carmeci, R. Brooke Jeffrey, I. R. McDougall, K. W. Nowels, and R. J. Weigel, “Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid masses,” Thyroid, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 283–289, 1998.
- G. Altavilla, M. Pascale, and I. Nenci, “Fine needle aspiration cytology of thyroid gland diseases,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 251–256, 1990.
- R. H. Caplan, P. J. Strutt, W. A. Kisken, and S. M. Wester, “Fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules,” Wisconsin Medical Journal, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 285–288, 1991.
- K. P. Letsas, M. Andrikoula, and A. Tsatsoulis, “Fine needle aspiration biopsy-RT-PCR molecular analysis of thyroid nodules: a useful preoperative diagnostic tool,” Minerva Endocrinologica, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 179–182, 2006.
- C. C. Cheung, B. Carydis, S. Ezzat, Y. C. Bedard, and S. L. Asa, “Analysis of ret/PTC gene rearrangements refines the fine needle aspiration diagnosis of thyroid cancer,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 2187–2190, 2001.
- E. L. Mazzaferri, “Management of a solitary thyroid nodule,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 8, pp. 553–559, 1993.
- H. Y. Chang, J. D. Lin, J. F. Chen et al., “Correlation of fine needle aspiration cytology and frozen section biopsies in the diagnosis of thyroid nodules,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 1005–1009, 1997.
- M. Ikram, J. Hyder, S. Muzaffar, and S. H. Hasan, “Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC) in the management of thyroid pathology—the Aga Khan University hospital experience,” Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 133–135, 1999.
- N. Afroze, N. Kayani, and S. H. Hasan, “Role of fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of palpable thyroid lesions,” Indian Journal of Pathology & Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 241–246, 2002.
- Safirullah, N. Mumtaz, and A. Khan, “Role of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) in the diagnosis of Thyroid swellings,” Journal of Postgraduate Medical Institute, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 196–201, 2004.
- L. Leenhardt, G. Hejblum, B. Franc et al., “Indications and limits of ultrasound-guided cytology in the management of nonpalpable thyroid nodules,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 24–28, 1999.
- J. Yang, V. Schnadig, R. Logrono, and P. G. Wasserman, “Fine-needle aspiration of thyroid nodules: a study of 4703 patients with histologic and clinical correlations,” Cancer, vol. 111, no. 5, pp. 306–315, 2007.
- D. N. Poller, A. K. Ibrahim, M. H. Cummings, J. J. Mikel, D. Boote, and M. Perry, “Fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid,” Cancer, vol. 90, 2000.
- R. Redman, B. J. Yoder, and N. A. Massoll, “Perceptions of diagnostic terminology and cytopathologic reporting of fine-needle aspiration biopsies of thyroid nodules: a survey of clinicians and pathologists,” Thyroid, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1003–1008, 2006.