- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 965280, 8 pages
Effect of Chemical Enhancers in Transdermal Permeation of Alfuzosin Hydrochloride
Department of Pharmaceutics, G. Pulla Reddy College of Pharmacy, Osmania University, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh 500 028, India
Received 30 October 2012; Accepted 20 November 2012
Academic Editors: H. Arima and C. Saturnino
Copyright © 2012 D. Prasanthi and P. K. Lakshmi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. C. Moffat, M. D. Osselton, B. Widdop, and J. Watts, Eds., Clarke's Analysis of Drugs and Poisons, Pharmaceutical Press, London, UK.
- A. C. Williams and B. W. Barry, “Penetration enhancers,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 603–618, 2004.
- P. Karande and S. Mitragotri, “Enhancement of transdermal drug delivery via synergistic action of chemicals,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1788, no. 11, pp. 2362–2373, 2009.
- P. Karande, A. Jain, K. Ergun, V. Kispersky, and S. Mitragotri, “Design principles of chemical penetration enhancers for transdermal drug delivery,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 13, pp. 4688–4693, 2005.
- B. W. Barry, “Breaching the skin's barrier to drugs,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 165–167, 2004.
- B. W. Barry, “Lipid-protein-partitioning theory of skin penetration enhancement,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 237–248, 1991.
- N. Buyuktimkin, S. Buyuktimkin, and J. H. Rytting, “Chemical means of transdermal drug permeation enhancement,” in Transdermal and Topical Drug Delivery Systems, T. K. Ghosh, W. R. Pfister, and S. Yum, Eds., Informa Health Care, 1997.
- A. Arellano, S. Santoyo, C. Martín, and P. Ygartua, “Influence of propylene glycol and isopropyl myristate on the in vitro percutaneous penetration of diclofenac sodium from carbopol gels,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 129–135, 1999.
- J. D. Michael, Dermal Toxicology. Toxicologist's Pocket Handbook, CRC Press, 2000.
- C. Ren, L. Fang, T. Li, M. Wang, L. Zhao, and Z. He, “Effect of permeation enhancers and organic acids on the skin permeation of indapamide,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 350, no. 1-2, pp. 43–47, 2008.
- R. Jantharaprapap and G. Stagni, “Effects of penetration enhancers on in vitro permeability of meloxicam gels,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 343, no. 1-2, pp. 26–33, 2007.
- S. Santoyo and P. Ygartua, “Effect of skin pretreatment with fatty acids on percutaneous absorption and skin retention of piroxicam after its topical application,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 245–250, 2000.
- H. Loth, “Vehicular influence on transdermal drug penetration,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 68, no. 1-3, pp. 1–10, 1991.
- K. Sato, K. Sugibayashi, and Y. Morimoto, “Effect and mode of action of aliphatic esters on the in vitro skin permeation of nicorandil,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 43, no. 1-2, pp. 31–40, 1988.
- S. N. Murthy, A. Sen, and S. W. Hui, “Surfactant-enhanced transdermal delivery by electroporation,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 307–315, 2004.
- P. Mura, M. T. Faucci, G. Bramanti, and P. Corti, “Evaluation of transcutol as a clonazepam transdermal permeation enhancer from hydrophilic gel formulations,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 365–372, 2000.
- H. O. Ammar, M. Ghorab, S. A. El-Nahhas, and R. Kamel, “Design of a transdermal delivery system for aspirin as an antithrombotic drug,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 327, no. 1-2, pp. 81–88, 2006.
- V. S. N. M. Dwibhashyam and J. Vijaya Ratna, “Chemical penetration enhancers—an update,” Indian Drugs, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 5–18, 2010.
- A. N. C. Anigbogu, A. C. Williams, B. W. Barry, and H. G. M. Edwards, “Fourier transform Raman spectroscopy of interactions between the penetration enhancer dimethyl sulfoxide and human stratum corneum,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 265–282, 1995.
- P. J. Lee, R. Langer, and V. P. Shastri, “Role of n-methyl pyrrolidone in the enhancement of aqueous phase transdermal transport,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 912–917, 2005.