- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 513580, 5 pages
An Algorithm for the Preclinical Screening of Anticancer Drugs Effective against Brain Tumors
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, SE-141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Received 23 April 2012; Accepted 11 June 2012
Academic Editors: W. Jäger, T. Kumai, and T. B. Vree
Copyright © 2012 Juan Sebastian Yakisich. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Fortin, “The blood-brain barrier: its influence in the treatment of brain tumors metastases,” Current Cancer Drug Targets, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 247–259, 2012.
- J. D. Hainsworth, “Extended-schedule oral etoposide in selected neoplasms and overview of administration and scheduling issues,” Drugs, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 51–56, 1999.
- M. V. Relling, H. H. Mahmoud, C. H. Pui et al., “Etoposide achieves potentially cytotoxic concentrations in CSF of children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 399–404, 1996.
- T. Kondo, T. Setoguchi, and T. Taga, “Persistence of a small subpopulation of cancer stem-like cells in the C6 glioma cell line,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 781–786, 2004.
- D. Y. Hueng, H. K. Sytwu, S. M. Huang, C. Chang, and H. I. Ma, “Isolation and characterization of tumor stem-like cells from human meningiomas,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2010.
- P. Rath, D. C. Miller, N. S. Litofsky et al., “Isolation and characterization of a population of stem-like progenitor cells from an atypical meningioma,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 179–188, 2011.
- M. Cruz, Å. Siden, D. R. Tasat, and J. S. Yakisich, “Are all glioma cells cancer stem cells?” Journal of Cancer Science and Therapy, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 100–106, 2010.
- M. A. Hatiboglu, J. Wei, A. S. G. Wu, and A. B. Heimberger, “Immune therapeutic targeting of glioma cancer stem cells,” Targeted Oncology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 217–227, 2010.
- D. R. Laks, K. Visnyei, and H. I. Kornblum, “Brain tumor stem cells as therapeutic targets in models of glioma,” Yonsei Medical Journal, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 633–640, 2010.
- Y. Li and J. Laterra, “Cancer stem cells: distinct entities or dynamically regulated phenotypes?” Cancer Research, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 576–580, 2012.
- L. Vermeulen, F. de Sousa, E. Melo, D. J. Richel, and J. P. Medema, “The developing cancer stem-cell model: clinical challenges and opportunities,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 83–89, 2012.
- D. Avramidis, M. Cruz, Å. Sidén, D. R. Tasat, and J. S. Yakisich, “Regrowth Concentration Zero (RC0) as complementary endpoint parameter to evaluate compound candidates during preclinical drug development for cancer treatment,” Journal of Cancer Science & Therapy, vol. 1, pp. 19–24, 2009.
- Z. M. Delwar, D. Avramidis, E. Follin, et al., “Cytotoxic effect of menadione and sodium orthovanadate in combination on human glioma cells,” Investigational New Drugs. In press.
- M. F. Vita, N. Nagachar, D. Avramidis et al., “Pankiller effect of prolonged exposure to menadione on glioma cells: potentiation by vitamin C,” Investigational New Drugs, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1314–1320, 2010.
- Z. M. Delwar, D. Avramidis, Å. Siden, M. Cruz, and J. S. Yakisich, “Depletion of drug-surviving glioma cells by a second phase treatment with low concentration of salinomycin,” Drugs and Therapy Studies, vol. 1, p. e7, 2011.
- J. A. Di Masi and H. G. Grabowski, “Economics of new oncology drug development,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 209–216, 2007.
- V. R. Recinos, B. M. Tyler, K. Bekelis et al., “Combination of intracranial temozolomide with intracranial carmustine improves survival when compared with either treatment alone in a rodent glioma model,” Neurosurgery, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 530–537, 2010.
- P. Miglierini, M. Bouchekoua, B. Rousseau, P. Dam Hieu, J. Malhaire, and O. Pradier, “Impact of the per-operatory application of GLIADEL wafers (BCNU, carmustine) in combination with temozolomide and radiotherapy in patients with glioblastoma multiforme: efficacy and toxicity,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery. In press.
- G. Xi, B. Mania-Farnell, V. Rajaram et al., “Efficacy of interstitial continuous vincristine infusion in a bioluminescent rodent intracranial tumor model,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 261–270, 2012.
- R. N. Saha, S. Vasanthakumar, G. Bende, and M. Snehalatha, “Nanoparticulate drug delivery systems for cancer chemotherapy,” Molecular Membrane Biology, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 215–231, 2010.
- D. N. Louis, H. Ohgaki, O. D. Wiestler et al., “The 2007 WHO classification of tumours of the central nervous system,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 97–109, 2007.
- R. F. Barth and B. Kaur, “Rat brain tumor models in experimental neuro-oncology: the C6, 9L, T9, RG2, F98, BT4C, RT-2 and CNS-1 gliomas,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 299–312, 2009.
- E. Binello, Z.A. Qadeer, H.P. Kothari, L. Emdad, and I.M. Germano, “Stemness of the CT-2A Immunocompetent mouse brain tumor model: characterization in vitro,” Journal of Cancer, vol. 3, pp. 166–174, 2012.
- H. Karlsson, M. Fryknäs, R. Larsson, and P. Nygren, “Loss of cancer drug activity in colon cancer HCT-116 cells during spheroid formation in a new 3-D spheroid cell culture system,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 318, no. 13, pp. 1577–1585, 2012.
- R. Goodwin, G. Giaccone, H. Calvert, M. Lobbezoo, and E. A. Eisenhauer, “Targeted agents: how to select the winners in preclinical and early clinical studies?” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 170–178, 2012.
- V. L. Jacobs, P. A. Valdes, W. F. Hickey, and J. A. De Leo, “Current review of in vivo GBM rodent models: emphasis on the CNS-1 tumour model,” ASN Neuro, vol. 3, no. 3, Article ID e00063, 2011.
- T. S. Jones and E. C. Holland, “Animal models for glioma drug discovery,” Expert Opinion on Drug Discovery, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 1271–1283, 2011.
- M. Kalamarides, M. Peyre, and M. Giovannini, “Meningioma mouse models,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 325–331, 2010.
- S. J. Madsen and H. Hirschberg, “Site-specific opening of the blood-brain barrier,” Journal of Biophotonics, vol. 3, no. 5-6, pp. 356–367, 2010.
- C. Y. Ting, C. H. Fan, H. L. Liu et al., “Concurrent blood-brain barrier opening and local drug delivery using drug-carrying microbubbles and focused ultrasound for brain glioma treatment,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 704–712, 2012.
- P. Zhang, L. Hu, Q. Yin, L. Feng, and Y. Li, “Transferrin-modified c[RGDfK]-paclitaxel loaded hybrid micelle for sequential blood-brain barrier penetration and glioma targeting therapy,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1590–1598, 2012.
- T. Shingaki, D. Inoue, T. Furubayashi et al., “Transnasal delivery of methotrexate to brain tumors in rats: a new strategy for brain tumor chemotherapy,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1561–1568, 2010.
- O. C. Hutchinson, D. R. Collingridge, H. Barthel, P. M. Price, and E. O. Aboagye, “Pharmacokinetics of radiolabelled anticancer drugs for positron emission tomography,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 917–929, 2003.
- S. Osman, S. K. Luthra, F. Brady et al., “Studies on the metabolism of the novel antitumor agent [N-methyl- 11C]N-[2-(dimethylamino)ethyl]acridine-4-carboxamide in rats and humans prior to phase I clinical trials,” Cancer Research, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 2172–2180, 1997.
- A. Saleem, E. O. Aboagye, J. C. Matthews, and P. M. Price, “Plasma pharmacokinetic evaluation of cytotoxic agents radiolabelled with positron emitting radioisotopes,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 865–873, 2008.
- J. Arrondeau, H. K. Gan, A. R. Razak, X. Paoletti, and C. Le Tourneau, “Development of anti-cancer drugs,” Discovery medicine, vol. 10, no. 53, pp. 355–362, 2010.
- G. J. Kelloff and C. C. Sigman, “New science-based endpoints to accelerate oncology drug development,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 491–501, 2005.