- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 571394, 9 pages
Targeted Delivery of Nanomedicines
MEMS and Microsensors, CSIR-Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute, Pilani-333031, Rajasthan, India
Received 29 November 2011; Accepted 11 January 2012
Academic Editors: R. Thurmond and K. Wada
Copyright © 2012 Vinod Kumar Khanna. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- O. Kayser, A. Lemke, and N. Hernández-Trejo, “The impact of nanobiotechnology on the development of new drug delivery systems,” Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 3–5, 2005.
- J. K. Vasir, M. K. Reddy, and V. D. Labhasetwar, “Nanosystems in drug targeting: opportunities and challenges,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 1, pp. 47–64, 2005.
- T. C. Yih and M. Al-Fandi, “Engineered nanoparticles as precise drug delivery systems,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 1184–1190, 2006.
- N. P. Praetorius and T. K. Mandal, “Engineered nanoparticles in cancer therapy,” Recent Patents on Drug Delivery & Formulation, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 37–51, 2007.
- R. Bawa, “Nanoparticle-based therapeutics in humans: a survey,” Nanotechnology Law and Business, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 135–155, 2008.
- A. Z. Wang, F. Gu, L. Zhang et al., “Biofunctionalized targeted nanoparticles for therapeutic applications,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 1063–1070, 2008.
- T. Lammers, W. E. Hennink, and G. Storm, “Tumour-targeted nanomedicines: principles and practice,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 392–397, 2008.
- K. Cho, X. Wang, S. Nie, Z. Chen, and D. M. Shin, “Therapeutic nanoparticles for drug delivery in cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 1310–1316, 2008.
- J. L. Arias, “Novel strategies to improve the anticancer action of 5-fluorouracil by using drug delivery systems,” Molecules, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 2340–2369, 2008.
- A. H. Faraji and P. Wipf, “Nanoparticles in cellular drug delivery,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 2950–2962, 2009.
- L. Zhang, D. Pornpattananangkul, C. M. J. Hu, and C. M. Huang, “Development of nanoparticles for antimicrobial drug delivery,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 585–594, 2010.
- Y. E. Choi, J. W. Kwak, and J. W. Park, “Nanotechnology for early cancer detection,” Sensors, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 428–455, 2010.
- P. C. Chen, S. C. Mwakwari, and A. K. Oyelere, “Gold nanoparticles: from nanomedicine to nanosensing,” Nanotechnology, Science and Applications, vol. 1, pp. 45–66, 2008.
- G. F. Paciotti, L. Myer, D. Weinreich et al., “Colloidal gold: a novel nanoparticle vector for tumor directed drug delivery,” Drug Delivery, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 169–183, 2004.
- X. Huang, I. H. El-Sayed, W. Qian, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Cancer cell imaging and photothermal therapy in the near-infrared region by using gold nanorods,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 2115–2120, 2006.
- X. Huang, W. Qian, I. H. El-Sayed, and M. A. El-Sayed, “The potential use of the enhanced nonlinear properties of gold nanospheres in photothermal cancer therapy,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 747–753, 2007.
- X. Huang, P. K. Jain, I. H. El-Sayed, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Plasmonic photothermal therapy (PPTT) using gold nanoparticles,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 217–228, 2008.
- C. H. Moran, S. M. Wainerdi, T. K. Cherukuri et al., “Size-dependent joule heating of gold nanoparticles using capacitively coupled radiofrequency fields,” Nano Research, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 400–405, 2009.
- P. Podsiadlo, V. A. Sinani, J. H. Bahng, N. W. S. Kam, J. Lee, and N. A. Kotov, “Gold nanoparticles enhance the anti-leukemia action of a 6-mercaptopurine chemotherapeutic agent,” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 568–574, 2008.
- S. Song, D. Liu, J. Peng et al., “Novel peptide ligand directs liposomes toward EGF-R high-expressing cancer cells in vitro and in vivo,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 1396–1404, 2009.
- C. M. J. Hu, S. Kaushal, H. S. T. Cao et al., “Half-antibody functionalized lipid-polymer hybrid nanoparticles for targeted drug delivery to carcinoembryonic antigen presenting pancreatic cancer cells,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 914–920, 2010.
- T. M. Allen, “Ligand-targeted therapeutics in anticancer therapy,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 750–763, 2002.
- J. You, X. Li, F. de Cui, Y. Z. Du, H. Yuan, and F. Q. Hu, “Folate-conjugated polymer micelles for active targeting to cancer cells: preparation, in vitro evaluation of targeting ability and cytotoxicity,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 4, Article ID 045102, 2008.
- B. Gupta, T. S. Levchenko, and V. P. Torchilin, “Intracellular delivery of large molecules and small particles by cell-penetrating proteins and peptides,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 637–651, 2005.
- A. Lo, C. T. Lin, and H. C. Wu, “Hepatocellular carcinoma cell-specific peptide ligand for targeted drug delivery,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 579–589, 2008.
- S. R. Aluri, Environmentally responsive peptides as anticancer drug carriers and reversible liposome stabilization with environmentally responsive polypeptides, M.S. (Pharmaceutical Sciences) thesis, University of Southern California, August 2010.
- J. W. Park, C. C. Benz, and F. J. Martin, “Future directions of liposome- and immunoliposome-based cancer therapeutics,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 31, no. 6, supplement 13, pp. 196–205, 2004.
- V. P. Torchilin, “Recent advances with liposomes as pharmaceutical carriers,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 145–160, 2005.
- R. M. Schiffelers, M. Banciu, J. M. Metselaar, and G. Storm, “Therapeutic application of long-circulating liposomal glucocorticoids in auto-immune diseases and cancer,” Journal of Liposome Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 185–194, 2006.
- N. Nishiyama and K. Kataoka, “Current state, achievements, and future prospects of polymeric micelles as nanocarriers for drug and gene delivery,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 630–648, 2006.
- S. Shidhaye, V. Lotlikar, S. Malke, and V. Kadam, “Nanogel engineered polymeric micelles for drug delivery,” Current Drug Therapy, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 209–217, 2008.
- M. F. Francis, M. Cristea, and F. M. Winnik, “Polymeric micelles for oral drug delivery: why and how,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 76, no. 7-8, pp. 1321–1335, 2004.
- K. S. Soppimath, T. M. Aminabhavi, A. R. Kulkarni, and W. E. Rudzinski, “Biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles as drug delivery devices,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 70, no. 1-2, pp. 1–20, 2001.
- R. Duncan, “Polymer conjugates as anticancer nanomedicines,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 688–701, 2006.
- S. Bai, C. Thomas, A. Rawat, and F. Ahsan, “Recent progress in dendrimer-based nanocarriers,” Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 437–495, 2006.
- X. Gao, Y. Cui, R. M. Levenson, L. W. K. Chung, and S. Nie, “In vivo cancer targeting and imaging with semiconductor quantum dots,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 969–976, 2004.