- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 147238, 7 pages
Pharmacokinetics of Caffeine following a Single Administration of Coffee Enema versus Oral Coffee Consumption in Healthy Male Subjects
1Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
2Center of Thai Traditional and Complementary Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
3Phisaleeh Hospital, Nakhon Sawan 60220, Thailand
4Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Received 8 January 2013; Accepted 30 January 2013
Academic Editors: K. N. Klotz, T. Kumai, and T. W. Stone
Copyright © 2013 Supanimit Teekachunhatean et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. G. Richards, D. L. McMillin, E. A. Mein, and C. D. Nelson, “Colonic irrigations: a review of the historical controversy and the potential for adverse effects,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 389–393, 2006.
- T. S. N. Chen and P. S. Y. Chen, “Intestinal autointoxication: a medical leitmotif,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 434–441, 1989.
- R. E. Gots, “Medical hypothesis and medical practice: autointoxication and multiple chemical sensitivities,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 2–12, 1993.
- F. T. Fork, O. Ekberg, G. Nilsson, C. Rerup, and A. Skinhoj, “Colon cleansing regimens. A clinical study in 1200 patients,” Gastrointestinal Radiology, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 383–389, 1982.
- M. Gerson, Gerson Therapy Handbook, Gerson Institute, San Diego, Calif, USA, 5th edition, 1999.
- M. Gerson, “The cure of advanced cancer by diet therapy: a summary of 30 years of clinical experimentation,” Physiological Chemistry and Physics, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 449–464, 1978.
- B. Cassileth, “Gerson regimen,” Oncology, vol. 24, no. 2, p. 201, 2010.
- E. Ernst, “Colonic irrigation: therapeutic claims by professional organisations, a review,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 429–431, 2010.
- S. Teekachunhatean, N. Tosri, C. Sangdee, et al., “Antioxidant effects after coffee enema or coffee consumption in healthy thai male volunteers,” Human & Experimental Toxicology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 643–651, 2012.
- L. E. Jones and W. E. Norris, “Rectal burn induced by hot coffee enema,” Endoscopy, vol. 42, supplement 2, p. E26, 2010.
- H. Sashiyama, Y. Hamahata, K. Matsuo et al., “Rectal burn caused by hot-water coffee enema,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1008–1009, 2008.
- B. Keum, Y. T. Jeen, S. C. Park et al., “Proctocolitis caused by coffee enemas,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 229–230, 2010.
- C. J. Lee, S. K. Song, J. H. Jeon, et al., “Coffee enema induced acute colitis,” The Korean Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 251–254, 2008.
- K. A. Margolin and M. R. Green, “Polymicrobial enteric septicemia from coffee enemas,” The Western Journal of Medicine, vol. 140, no. 3, p. 460, 1984.
- J. W. Eisele and D. T. Reay, “Deaths related to coffee enemas,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 244, no. 14, pp. 1608–1609, 1980.
- M. Muraoka, Z. Hu, T. Shimokawa et al., “Evaluation of intestinal pressure-controlled colon delivery capsule containing caffeine as a model drug in human volunteers,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 52, no. 1-2, pp. 119–129, 1998.
- G. K. McEvoy, AHFS Drug Information, American Society of Hospital Pharmacist, 1990.
- C. Sangdee, J. Khounvong, S. Teekachunhatean, and N. Rojanasthien, “Contents, pharmacokinetics and cardiovascular effects of caffeine in leading caffeinated drinks sold in thailand,” Thai Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 3–12, 2008.
- E. Tanaka, “Simultaneous determination of caffeine and its primary demethylated metabolites in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography, vol. 575, no. 2, pp. 311–314, 1992.
- E. Schreiber-Deturmeny and B. Bruguerolle, “Simultaneous high-performance liquid chromatographic determination of caffeine and theophylline for routine drug monitoring in human plasma,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 677, no. 2, pp. 305–312, 1996.
- M. J. Arnaud, “The pharmacology of caffeine,” Progress in Drug Research, vol. 31, pp. 273–313, 1987.
- M. Bonati, R. Latini, F. Galletti, J. F. Young, G. Tognoni, and S. Garattini, “Caffeine disposition after oral doses,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 98–106, 1982.
- B. B. Fredholm, K. Bättig, J. Holmén, A. Nehlig, and E. E. Zvartau, “Actions of caffeine in the brain with special reference to factors that contribute to its widespread use,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 83–133, 1999.
- R. T. Jung, P. S. Shetty, W. P. T. James, M. A. Barrand, and B. A. Callingham, “Caffeine: its effect on catecholamines and metabolism in lean and obese humans,” Clinical Science, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 527–535, 1981.
- A. Nehlig, “Are we dependent upon coffee and caffeine? A review on human and animal data,” Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 563–576, 1999.
- W. D. Parsons and A. H. Neims, “Effect of smoking on caffeine clearance,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 40–45, 1978.
- J. Sawynok and T. L. Yaksh, “Caffeine as an analgesic adjuvant: a review of pharmacology and mechanisms of action,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 43–85, 1993.
- F. L. Grab and J. A. Reinstein, “Determination of caffeine in plasma by gas chromatography,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 1703–1706, 1968.
- D. Ullrich, D. Compagnone, B. Munch, A. Brandes, H. Hille, and J. Bircher, “Urinary caffeine metabolites in man. Age-dependent changes and pattern in various clinical situations,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 167–172, 1992.
- V. Perera, A. S. Gross, and A. J. McLachlan, “Caffeine and paraxanthine HPLC assay for CYP1A2 phenotype assessment using saliva and plasma,” Biomedical Chromatography, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1136–1144, 2010.
- G. H. Kamimori, C. S. Karyekar, R. Otterstetter et al., “The rate of absorption and relative bioavailability of caffeine administered in chewing gum versus capsules to normal healthy volunteers,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 234, no. 1-2, pp. 159–167, 2002.
- S. M. Hoy and L. J. Scott, “Indomethacin/prochlorperazine/caffeine: a review of its use in the acute treatment of migraine and in the treatment of episodic tension-type headache,” CNS Drugs, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 343–358, 2011.
- L. R. Johnson, K. E. Barrett, F. K. Ghishan, J. L. Merchant, H. M. Said, and J. D. Wood, Physiology of the Gastrointestinal Tract, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- C. E. Cook, C. R. Tallent, and E. W. Amerson, “Caffeine in plasma and saliva by a radioimmunoassay procedure,” The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 199, no. 3, pp. 679–686, 1976.
- A. Astrup, S. Toubro, S. Cannon, P. Hein, L. Breum, and J. Madsen, “Caffeine: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of its thermogenic, metabolic, and cardiovascular effects in healthy volunteers,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 759–767, 1990.
- E. Casiglia, S. Bongiovi, C. D. Paleari et al., “Haemodynamic effects of coffee and caffeine in normal volunteers: a placebo-controlled clinical study,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 229, no. 6, pp. 501–504, 1991.
- E. Casiglia, C. D. Paleari, S. Petucco et al., “Haemodynamic effects of coffee and purified caffeine in normal volunteers: a placebo-controlled clinical study,” Journal of Human Hypertension, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 95–99, 1992.
- C. T. Theoharides, Essential of Pharmacology, Little, Brown Company, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- M. A. Butler, N. P. Lang, J. F. Young et al., “Determination of CYP1A2 and NAT2 phenotypes in human populations by analysis of caffeine urinary metabolites,” Pharmacogenetics, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 116–127, 1992.
- J. D. Lane, J. F. Steege, S. L. Rupp, and C. M. Kuhn, “Menstrual cycle effects on caffeine elimination in the human female,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 543–546, 1992.
- C. McLean and T. E. Graham, “Effects of exercise and thermal stress on caffeine pharmacokinetics in men and eumenorrheic women,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 1471–1478, 2002.