- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Physical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 841521, 9 pages
Visible Light Photocatalysis with Rare Earth Ion-Doped Nanocomposites
1Department of Physics & Electronics, National University of Lesotho, Roma 180, Lesotho
2Department of Chemistry & Chemical Technology, National University of Lesotho, Roma 180, Lesotho
Received 28 September 2011; Accepted 25 October 2011
Academic Editors: J. M. Farrar and P. L. Gentili
Copyright © 2012 Himanshu Narayan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. L. Linsebigler, G. Lu, and J. T. Yates, “Photocatalysis on TiO2 surfaces: principles, mechanisms, and selected results,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 735–758, 1995.
- K. Hashimoto, H. Irie, and A. Fujishima, “TiO2 photocatalysis: a historical overview and future prospects,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Part 1, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 8269–8285, 2005.
- Y. Yao, G. Li, S. Ciston, R. M. Lueptow, and K. A. Gray, “Photoreactive TiO2/carbon nanotube composites: synthesis and reactivity,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 13, pp. 4952–4957, 2008.
- Z. Li, W. Shen, W. He, and X. Zu, “Effect of Fe-doped TiO2 nanoparticle derived from modified hydrothermal process on the photocatalytic degradation performance on methylene blue,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 155, no. 3, pp. 590–594, 2008.
- H. Narayan, H. Alemu, L. Macheli, M. Thakurdesai, and T. K. Gundu Rao, “Synthesis and characterization of Y3+-doped TiO2 nanocomposites for photocatalytic applications,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 25, Article ID 255601, 8 pages, 2009.
- H. Narayan and H. M. Alemu, “Titanium dioxide mediated visible light photocatalysis: effects of particle size and doping,” in Advances in Nanotechnology, Z. Bartul and J. Trenor, Eds., vol. 4, chapter 7, pp. 205–219, Nova Science Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
- H. Narayan, H. Alemu, L. Machel, M. Sekota, M. Thakurdesai, and T. K.G. Rao, “Role of particle size in visible light photocatalysis of Congo Red using nanocomposites,” Bulletin of Materials Science, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 499–506, 2009.
- R. Vogel, K. Pohl, and H. Weller, “Sensitization of highly porous, polycrystalline TiO2 electrodes by quantum sized CdS,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 174, no. 3-4, pp. 241–246, 1990.
- R. K. Wahi, W. W. Yu, Y. Liu et al., “Photodegradation of Congo Red catalyzed by nanosized TiO2,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, vol. 242, no. 1-2, pp. 48–56, 2005.
- R. B. M. Bergamini, E. B. Azevedo, and L. R. R. D. Araújo, “Heterogeneous photocatalytic degradation of reactive dyes in aqueous TiO2 suspensions: decolorization kinetics,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 149, no. 1–3, pp. 215–220, 2009.
- D. Fabbri, A. B. Prevot, and E. Pramauro, “Effect of surfactant microstructures on photocatalytic degradation of phenol and chlorophenols,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 62, no. 1-2, pp. 21–27, 2006.
- M. Ashokkumar, A. Kudo, N. Saito, and T. Sakata, “Semiconductor sensitization by RuS2 colloids on TiO2 electrodes,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 229, no. 4-5, pp. 383–388, 1994.
- J. Liqiang, S. Xiaojun, X. Baifu, W. Baiqi, C. Weimin, and F. Honggang, “The preparation and characterization of La doped TiO2 nanoparticles and their photocatalytic activity,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 177, no. 10, pp. 3375–3382, 2004.
- S. Bingham and W. A. Daoud, “Recent advances in making nano-sized TiO2 visible-light active through rare-earth metal doping,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 2041–2050, 2011.
- J. Liu, R. Yang, and S. Li, “Synthesis and photocatalytic activity of TiO2/V2O5 composite catalyst doped with rare earth ions,” Journal of Rare Earths, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 173–178, 2007.
- Y. Xie and C. Yuan, “Characterization and photocatalysis of Eu3+-TiO2 sol in the hydrosol reaction system,” Materials Research Bulletin, vol. 39, no. 4-5, pp. 533–543, 2004.
- X. L. Jia, Y. Wang, R. S. Xin, Q. L. Jia, and H. J. Zhang, “Preparation of rare-earth element doped titanium oxide thin films and photocatalysis properties,” Key Engineering Materials, vol. 336–338, pp. 1946–1948, 2007.
- Z. M. El-Bahy, A. A. Ismail, and R. M. Mohamed, “Enhancement of titania by doping rare earth for photodegradation of organic dye (Direct Blue),” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 138–143, 2009.
- J. A. Bumpus, J. Tricker, K. Andrzejewski, H. Rhoads, and M. Tatarko, “Remediation of water contaminated with an azo dye: an undergraduate laboratory experiment utilizing an inexpensive photocatalytic reactor,” Journal of Chemical Education, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 1680–1683, 1999.
- F. Boulc’h, , M.-C. Schouler, P. Donnadieu, J.-M. Chaix, and E. Djurado, “Domain size distribution of Y-TZP nano-particles using XRD and HRTEM,” Image Analysis & Stereology, vol. 20, pp. 157–161, 2001.
- M. A. J. Klik, T. Gregorkiewicz, I. V. Bradley, and J. P. R. Wells, “Optically induced deexcitation of rare-earth ions in a semiconductor matrix,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 89, no. 22, pp. 2274011–2274014, 2002.