- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 607416, 8 pages
Assessing the Discriminative Ability and Internal Consistency of the School Outcomes Measure
1Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, College of Allied Health, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center,
1200 N Stonewall Avenue, P.O. Box 26901, Oklahoma City, OK 73126-0901, USA
2Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 801 N.E. 13th Street, P.O. Box 26901, Oklahoma City, OK 73126-0901, USA
Received 31 January 2013; Accepted 4 March 2013
Academic Editors: M. P. Galea, H. Houdijk, and H. Unalan
Copyright © 2013 Sandra H. Arnold et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. A. Dobrzykowski, Essential Readings in Rehabilitation Outcomes Measurement: Application, Methodology, and Technology, Aspen, Gaithersburg, Md, USA, 1998.
- W. T. F. Goossen, P. J. M. M. Epping, T. Feuth, T. W. N. Dassen, A. Hasman, and W. J. A. Van Den Heuvel, “A comparison of nursing minimal data sets,” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 152–163, 1998.
- American Occupational Therapy Association, “Occupational therapy practice framework: domain and process,” American Journal of Occupational Therapy, vol. 56, pp. 609–639, 2002.
- American Physical Therapy Association, Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, American Physical Therapy Association, Alexandria, VA, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
- “Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004, 20 U.S.C. § 1400”.
- I. R. McEwen, S. H. Arnold, L. H. Hansen, and D. Johnson, “Interrater reliability and content validity of a minimal data set to measure outcomes of students receiving school-based occupational therapy and physical therapy,” Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 77–95, 2003.
- A. C. Bundy, Ed., Making a Difference: OTs and PTs in Public Schools: A Conceptual Model of Practice for School System Therapists, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1991.
- S. H. Arnold and I. R. McEwen, “Item test-retest reliability and responsiveness of the School Outcomes Measure (SOM),” Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 59–77, 2008.
- L. G. Portney and M. P. Watkins, Foundations of Clinical Research: Application to Practice, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 3rd edition, 2009.
- R. Palisano, P. Rosenbaum, S. Walter, D. Russell, E. Wood, and B. Galuppi, “Development and reliability of a system to classify gross motor function in children with cerebral palsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 214–223, 1997.
- S. A. S. Institute Inc, “SAS/STAT user’s guide Version 8,” 1999, http://books.google.com/books?id=y7gDP_ELM3gC&pg=PA1306&lpg=PA1306&dq=SAS/STAT+user%E2%80%99s+guide,+tests+and+measures+of+agreement&source=bl&ots=GI5wusNAHB&sig=LG1jnLMwdFis2IRdZ5rAW7zDh98&hl=en&ei=2z13SoLfDo2QMcSbjbEM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false.
- R. Palisano, P. Rosenbaum, D. Bartlett, and M. Livingston, Gross Motor Function Classification System Expanded and Revised (GMFCS -E & R), CanChild Center for Childhood Disability Research, McMaster University, 2007.
- G. J. Boyle, “Does item homogeneity indicate internal consistency or item redundancy in psychometric scales?” Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 291–294, 1991.
- D. L. Streiner, “Starting at the beginning: an introduction to coefficient alpha and internal consistency,” Journal of Personality Assessment, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 99–103, 2003.
- J. C. Nunnally, Psychometric Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1978.
- J. C. Nunnally and I. H. Berstein, Psychometric Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1994.
- D. Oeffinger, G. Gorton, A. Bagley et al., “Outcome assessments in children with cerebral palsy, Part I: descriptive characteristics of GMFCS Levels I to III,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 172–180, 2007.
- D. L. Streiner and G. R. Norman, Health Measurement Scales: A Practical Guide to their Development and Use, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2000.
- M. A. Pett, N. R. Lackey, and J. J. Sullivan, Making Sense of Factor Analysis: The Use of Factor Analysis for Instrument Development in Health Care Research, Sage, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 2003.
- T. G. Bond and C. M. Fox, Applying the Rasch Model: Fundamental Measurement in the Human Sciences, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 2001.