- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Renewable Energy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 173753, 8 pages
Technoeconomic Assessment on Innovative Biofuel Technologies: The Case of Microalgae
1School of Sciences and Technology, University of Coimbra and INESCC, R. Antero de Quental, 199 3000-033 Coimbra, Portugal
2School of Economics, University of Coimbra and INESCC, Avenue Dias da Silva, 165 Room 207, 3004-512 Coimbra, Portugal
Received 2 April 2012; Accepted 28 May 2012
Academic Editors: E. R. Bandala, B. Chen, and K. T. Lee
Copyright © 2012 Lauro André Ribeiro and Patrícia Pereira da Silva. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- European Commission (EC)—SETIS Strategy Energy Technologies Information System, “Bioenergy,” http://setis.ec.europa.eu/technologies/Bioenergy/info, 2012.
- M. J. Groom, E. M. Gray, and P. A. Townsend, “Biofuels and biodiversity: principles for creating better policies for biofuel production,” Conservation Biology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 602–609, 2008.
- Y. Chisti, “Biodiesel from microalgae,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 294–306, 2007.
- Oligae, Oligae Report Academic Edition, http://www.oligae.com/, 2010.
- L. Tao and A. Aden, “The economics of current and future biofuels,” In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 199–217, 2009.
- L. Brennan and P. Owende, “Biofuels from microalgae—a review of technologies for production, processing, and extractions of biofuels and co-products,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 557–577, 2010.
- A. P. Carvalho, L. A. Meireles, and F. X. Malcata, “Microalgal reactors: a review of enclosed system designs and performances,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1490–1506, 2006.
- A. Hirano, R. Ueda, S. Hirayama, and Y. Ogushi, “CO2 fixation and ethanol production with microalgal photosynthesis and intracellular anaerobic fermentation,” Energy, vol. 22, no. 2-3, pp. 137–142, 1997.
- E. Ono and J. L. Cuello, “Feasibility assessment of microalgal carbon dioxide sequestration technology with photobioreactor and solar collector,” Biosystems Engineering, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 597–606, 2006.
- O. Pulz, “Photobioreactors: production systems for phototrophic microorganisms,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 287–293, 2001.
- O. Pulz and W. Gross, “Valuable products from biotechnology of microalgae,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 635–648, 2004.
- J. Sheehan, T. Dunahay, J. Benemann, and P. Roessler, A Look Back at the U.S. Department of Energy's Aquatic Species Program—Biodiesel from Algae, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colo, USA, 1998.
- P. Spolaore, C. Joannis-Cassan, E. Duran, and A. Isambert, “Commercial applications of microalgae,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 87–96, 2006.
- K. L. Terry and L. P. Raymond, “System design for the autotrophic production of microalgae,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 474–487, 1985.
- C. U. Ugwu, H. Aoyagi, and H. Uchiyama, “Photobioreactors for mass cultivation of algae,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 4021–4028, 2008.
- L. M. Brown, “Uptake of carbon dioxide from flue gas by microalgae,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 37, no. 6–8, pp. 1363–1367, 1996.
- K. B. Cantrell, T. Ducey, K. S. Ro, and P. G. Hunt, “Livestock waste-to-bioenergy generation opportunities,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 17, pp. 7941–7953, 2008.
- UNESCO, “The ethics of adoption and development of algae-based biofuels,” UNESCO 83, McGraw-Hill, Bangkok, Thailand, 2009.
- P. T. Pienkos and A. Darzins, “The promise and challenges of microalgal-derived biofuels,” Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 431–440, 2009.
- T. Searchinger, R. Heimlich, R. A. Houghton et al., “Use of U.S. croplands for biofuels increases greenhouse gases through emissions from land-use change,” Science, vol. 319, no. 5867, pp. 1238–1240, 2008.
- L. Rodolfi, G. C. Zittelli, N. Bassi et al., “Microalgae for oil: strain selection, induction of lipid synthesis and outdoor mass cultivation in a low-cost photobioreactor,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 100–112, 2009.
- J. Qin, Bio-Hydrocarbons from Algae—Impacts of Temperature, Light and Salinity on Algae Growth, Rural Industries Research and Development, Barton, Australia, 2005.
- M. L. Ghirardi, L. Zhang, J. W. Lee et al., “Microalgae: a green source of renewable H2,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 506–511, 2000.
- O. Pulz and K. Scheinbenbogan, “Photobioreactors: design and performance with respect to light energy input,” Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, vol. 59, pp. 123–152, 1998.
- P. Chen, M. Min, Y. Chen, et al., “Review of the biological and engineering aspects of algae to fuels approach,” International Journal of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 1–30, 2009.
- J. R. Benemann, “Microalgal biofuels: a brief introduction,” 2009, http://advancedbiofuelsusa.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/microalgae-biofuels-an-introduction-july23-2009-benemann.pdf.
- A. L. Ahmad, N. H. M. Yasin, C. J. C. Derek, and J. K. Lim, “Microalgae as a sustainable energy source for biodiesel production?: a review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 584–593, 2011.
- J. Singh and S. Gu, “Commercialization potential of microalgae for biofuels production,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 2596–2610, 2010.
- G. Rothwell, Electricity Economics: Regulation and Deregulation, IEEE Press, New Jersey, NJ, USA, 2000.
- L. A. Ribeiro and P. P. Silva, “Policies and challenges for advanced biofuel technologies: a look into microalgae,” in Proceedings of the 6th Dubrovnik Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems (SDEWES '11), pp. 25–29, Dubrovnik, Croatia, September 2011.
- A. S. Humphrey, “History of the SWOT analysis,” http://rapidbi.wordpress.com/2008/12/29/history-of-the-swot-analysis/, 2004.
- M. Rosenthal, “Leveling the playing field for algae-based fuels,” March 2011, Biofuels Digest, http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2011/03/31/leveling-the-playing-field-for-algae-based-fuels/.
- BFS, “The world's first ecological oil is made using profitable industrial process?” BFS Blue Petroleum, http://www.biopetroleo.com/english/noticia/the-worlds-first-ecological-oil-is-made-using-profitable-industrial-processes/, 2011.