- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 840475, 7 pages
Clinical and Radiological Presentations of Late-Onset Spondyloarthritis
1Laboratory of Information and Research on Bone Diseases (LIRPOS), Department of Rheumatology, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, El Ayachi Hospital, University Hospital of Rabat-Sale, University Mohammed V Souissi, Morocco
2Laboratory of Biostatistical, Clinical and Epidemiological Research (LBRCE), Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, University Mohammed V Souissi, Rabat, Morocco
Received 29 December 2010; Accepted 23 January 2011
Academic Editors: M. G. Danieli and G. Vargas-Alarcon
Copyright © 2011 Ihsane Hmamouchi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. C. W. Creemers, “Ankylosing spondylitis: what do we really know about the onset and progression of this disease?” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1121–1123, 2002.
- J. Sieper, M. Rudwaleit, M. A. Khan, and J. Braun, “Concepts and epidemiology of spondyloarthritis,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 401–417, 2006.
- C. S. Lau, R. Burgos-Vargas, W. Louthrenoo, M. Y. Mok, P. Wordsworth, and Q. Y. Zeng, “Features of spondyloarthritis around the World,” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 753–770, 1998.
- J. J. Dubost and B. Sauvezie, “Current aspects of inflammatory rheumatic diseases in elderly patients,” Revue du Rhumatisme et Des Maladies Ostéo-Articulaires, vol. 59, pp. 37S–42S, 1992.
- É. Toussirot, “Late-onset ankylosing spondylitis and spondylarthritis: an update on clinical manifestations, differential diagnosis and pharmacological therapies,” Drugs and Aging, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 523–531, 2010.
- J. Braun, M. Bollow, G. Remlinger et al., “Prevalence of spondylarthropathies in HLA-B27 positive and negative blood donors,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 58–67, 1998.
- A. Saraux, C. Guedes, J. Allain et al., “Prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis and spondyloarthropathy in Brittany, France,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 2622–2627, 1999.
- J. T. Gran, G. Husby, and M. Hordvik, “Prevalence of ankylosing spondylitis in males and females in a young middle-aged population of Tromso, northern Norway,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 359–367, 1985.
- M. Rudwaleit, D. Van Der Heijde, R. Landewé et al., “The development of Assessment of Spondyloarthritis International Society (ASAS) classification criteria for axial spondyloarthritis (part II): validation and final sélection,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 777–783, 2009.
- B. Amor, H. Bouchet, and F. Delrieu, “Enquete nationale sur les arthrites réactionnelles de la Societe Francaise de Rhumatologie,” Revue du Rhumatisme, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 733–743, 1983.
- B. Amor, M. Dougados, and M. Mijiyawa, “Criteres de classification des spondylarthropathies,” Revue du Rhumatisme et des Maladies Osteo-Articulaires, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 85–89, 1990.
- M. Dougados, S. Van der Linden, R. Juhlin et al., “The European Spondylarthropathy Study Group preliminary criteria for the classification of spondylarthropathy,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 1218–1227, 1991.
- I. Olivieri, C. Salvarani, F. Cantini, G. Ciancio, and A. Padula, “Ankylosing spondylitis and undifferentiated spondyloarthropathies: a clinical review and description of a disease subset with older age at onset,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 280–284, 2001.
- J. J. Dubost and B. Sauvezie, “Late onset peripheral spondyloarthropathy,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1214–1217, 1989.
- D. Caplanne, F. Tubach, and J. M. Le Parc, “Late onset spondylarthropathy: clinical and biological comparison with early onset patients,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 176–179, 1997.
- J. J. Dubost, J. M. Ristori, C. Zmantar, and B. Sauvezie, “Rhumatismes séronégatifs a début tardif: fréquence et atypies des spondylarthropathies,” Revue du Rhumatisme, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 577–584, 1991.
- I. Olivieri, A. Padula, A. Pierro, L. Favaro, G. S. Oranges, and S. Ferri, “Late onset undifferentiated seronegative spondyloarthropathy,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 899–903, 1995.
- I. Olivieri, G. Salvatore Oranges, F. Sconosciuto, A. Padula, G. P. Ruju, and G. Pasero, “Late onset peripheral seronegative spondyloarthropathy: report of two additional cases,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 390–393, 1993.
- I. Olivieri, C. Garcia-Porrua, A. Padula, F. Cantini, C. Salvarani, and M. A. Gonzalez-Gay, “Late onset undifferentiated spondyloarthritis presenting with polymyalgia rheumatica features: description of seven cases,” Rheumatology International, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 927–933, 2007.
- J. J. Dubost, J. M. Ristori, C. Zmantar, and B. Sauvezie, “Rhumatismes seronegatifs a debut Tardif: frequence et atypie des spondylarthropathies,” Revue du Rhumatisme, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 577–584, 1991.
- L. Punzi, M. Pianon, P. Rossini, F. Schiavon, and P. F. Gambari, “Clinical and laboratory manifestations of elderly onset psoriatic arthritis: a comparison with younger onset disease,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 226–229, 1999.
- F. Cantini, C. Salvarani, I. Olivieri et al., “Distal extremity swelling with pitting edema in psoriatic arthritis: a case-control study,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 291–296, 2001.
- S. Pavy, E. Dernis, F. Lavie et al., “Imaging for the diagnosis and follow-up of ankylosing spondylitis: development of recommendations for clinical practice based on published evidence and expert opinion,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 338–345, 2007.
- F. O'Shea, D. Salonen, and R. Inman, “The challenge of early diagnosis in ankylosing spondylitis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 5–7, 2007.
- L. Heuft-Dorenbosch, R. Landewé, R. Weijers et al., “Performance of various criteria sets in patients with inflammatory back pain of short duration; the Maastricht early spondyloarthritis clinic,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 92–98, 2007.
- H. C. Brandt, I. Spiller, IN. H. Song, J. L. Vahldiek, M. Rudwaleit, and J. Sieper, “Performance of referral recommendations in patients with chronic back pain and suspected axial spondyloarthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 1479–1484, 2007.
- X. Baraliakos, K. G. A. Hermann, R. Landewé et al., “Assessment of acute spinal inflammation in patients with ankylosing spondylitis by magnetic resonance imaging: a comparison between contrast enhanced T and short tau inversion recovery (STIR) sequences,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 1141–1144, 2005.
- U. Weber, C. W. A. Pfirrmann, R. O. Kissling, J. Hodler, and M. Zanetti, “Whole body MR imaging in ankylosing spondylitis: a descriptive pilot study in patients with suspected early and active confirmed ankylosing spondylitis,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 8, article no. 20, 2007.
- W. P. Maksymowych and R. G. W. Lambert, “Magnetic resonance imaging for spondyloarthritis—avoiding the minefield,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 259–265, 2007.
- J. Zochling, X. Baraliakos, K. G. Hermann, and J. Braun, “Magnetic resonance imaging in ankylosing spondylitis,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 346–352, 2007.
- S. Rostom, M. Dougados, and L. Gossec, “New tools for diagnosing spondyloarthropathy,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 108–114, 2010.
- H. Appel, C. Loddenkemper, Z. Grozdanovic et al., “Correlation of histopathological findings and magnetic resonance imaging in the spine of patients with ankylosing spondylitis,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 8, no. 5, article R143, 2006.
- E. Unlu, O. N. Pamuk, and N. Cakir, “Color and duplex Doppler sonography to detect sacroiliitis and spinal inflammation in ankylosing spondylitis. Can this method reveal response to anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy?” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 110–116, 2007.
- A. Klauser, E. J. Halpern, F. Frauscher et al., “Inflammatory low back pain: high negative predictive value of contrast-enhanced color Doppler ultrasound in the detection of inflamed sacroiliac joints,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 440–444, 2005.
- R. Yagan and M. A. Khan, “Confusion of roentgenographic differential diagnosis of ankylosing hyperostosis (Forestier's disease) and ankylosing spondylitis,” in Ankylosing Spondylitis and Related Spondyloarthropathies. Spine: State of the Art Review, M. A. Khan, Ed., vol. 4, pp. 561–575, Hanley & Belfus, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1990.
- D. Resnick and G. Niwayama, “Radiographic and pathologic features of spinal involvement in diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH),” Radiology, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 559–568, 1976.
- J. C. Davis, D. Van Der Heijde, J. Braun et al., “Recombinant human tumor necrosis factor receptor (etanercept) for treating ankylosing spondylitis: a randomized, controlled trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 3230–3236, 2003.
- R. W. Ike and M. Blaivas, “Corticosteroid response puffy hands and occult vasculitic neuropathy: RSPE plus?” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 205–206, 1993.
- T. Schaeverbeke, E. Fatout, S. Marce et al., “Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting oedema: disease or syndrome?” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 681–684, 1995.
- T. Billey, F. Navaux, and S. Lassoued, “Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema (RS3PE) as the first manifestation of periarteritis nodosa. Report of a case,” Join Bone Spine, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 53–54, 1995.
- M. Guma, E. Casado, X. Tena et al., “RS3PE: six years later,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 722–723, 1999.
- D. J. McCarty, “Clinical picture of rheumatoid arthritis,” in Arthritis and Allied Conditions, D. J. McCarty and W. J. Koopman, Eds., pp. 781–809, Lea & Febiger, Malvern, Pa, USA, 12 edition, 1993.
- N. Magy, F. Michel, B. Auge, E. Toussirot, and D. Wendling, “Amyloid arthropathy revealed by RS3PE syndrome,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 475–477, 2000.
- E. Pittau, G. Passiu, and A. Mathieu, “Remitting asymmetrical pitting oedema in systemic lupus erythematosus: two cases studied with magnetic resonance imaging,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 544–549, 2000.
- D. J. McCarty, J. D. O'Duffy, L. Pearson, and J. B. Hunter, “Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 254, no. 19, pp. 2763–2767, 1985.
- E. B. Russell, J. B. Hunter, L. Pearson, and D. J. McCarty, “Remitting, seronegative, symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema—13 Additional cases,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 633–639, 1990.
- A. Ponce, R. Sanmarti, C. Orellana, and J. Muñoz-Gomez, “Spondyloarthropathy presenting as a polymyalgia rheumatica-like syndrome,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 614–616, 1997.
- I. Olivieri, C. Salvarani, and F. Cantini, “Remitting distal extremity swelling with pitting edema: a distinct syndrome or a clinical feature of different inflammatory rheumatic diseases?” The Journal of rheumatology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 249–252, 1997.
- B. J. Radovits, W. Kievit, and R. F. J. M. Laan, “Tumour necrosis factor-α antagonists in the management of rheumatoid arthritis in the elderly: a review of their efficacy and safety,” Drugs and Aging, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 647–664, 2009.
- A. Díaz-Borjón, “Guidelines for the use of conventional and newer disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs in elderly patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Drugs and Aging, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 273–293, 2009.