- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 360201, 6 pages
Computerized Morphometric Analysis of Human Femoral Articular Cartilage
1Department of Anatomy, Health Sciences Block, Christian Medical College, Ludhiana 141008, India
2Department of Anatomy, Swami Devi Dayal Hospital & Dental College & Hospital, Golpura 134118, India
Received 4 November 2011; Accepted 1 December 2011
Academic Editors: J. Steinmeyer and E. Tchetina
Copyright © 2012 Neeru Goyal and Madhur Gupta. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. P. Gorgan and D. D. D’Lima, “Joint ageing and chondrocyte cell death,” International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 5, pp. 199–214, 2010.
- B. Caramés, N. Taniguchi, S. Otsuki, F. J. Blanco, and M. Lotz, “Autophagy is a protective mechanism in normal cartilage, and its aging-related loss is linked with cell death and osteoarthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 791–801, 2010.
- E. C. Cole, “Studies in Hematoxylin stains,” Stain Technology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 125–142, 1943.
- B. L. Schumacher, J. L. Su, K. M. Lindley, K. E. Kuettner, and A. A. Cole, “Horizontally oriented clusters of multiple chondrons in the superficial zone of ankle, but not knee articular cartilage,” Anatomical Record, vol. 266, no. 4, pp. 241–248, 2002.
- N. D. Broom, T. Ngo, and E. Tham, “Traversing the intact/fibrillated joint surface: a biomechanical interpretation,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 206, no. 1, pp. 55–67, 2005.
- N. Goyal, M. Gupta, K. Joshi, and O. N. Nagi, “Osteoarthritic femoral articular cartilage of knee joint in man,” Nepal Medical College Journal, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 88–92, 2006.
- N. Goyal, M. Gupta, K. Joshi, and O. N. Nagi, “Immunohistochemical analysis of ageing and osteoarthritic articular cartilage,” Journal of Molecular Histology, vol. 41, no. 4-5, pp. 193–197, 2010.
- C. Wigley, “Functional anatomy of the musculoskeletal system,” in Gray’s Anatomy, p. 99, Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 40th edition, 2008.
- C. Adam, F. Eckstein, S. Milz, E. Schulte, C. Becker, and R. Putz, “The distribution of cartilage thickness in the knee-joints of old-aged individuals measurement by A-mode ultrasound,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 1998.
- F. Eckstein, C. Adam, H. Sittek et al., “Non-invasive determination of cartilage thickness throughout joint surfaces using magnetic resonance imaging,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 285–289, 1997.
- B. Kladny, P. Martus, K. H. Schiwy-Bochat, G. Weseloh, and B. Swoboda, “Measurement of cartilage thickness in the human knee-joint by magnetic resonance imaging using a three-dimensional gradient-echo sequence,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 264–267, 1999.
- A. A. Kshirsagar, P. J. Watson, J. A. Tyler, and L. D. Hall, “Measurement of localized cartilage volume and thickness of human knee joints by computer analysis of three-dimensional magnetic resonance images,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 289–299, 1998.
- R. L. Karvonen, W. G. Negendank, R. A. Teitge, A. H. Reed, P. R. Miller, and F. Fernandez- Madrid, “Factors affecting articular cartilage thickness in osteoarthritis and aging,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1310–1318, 1994.
- M. Hudelmaier, C. Glaser, J. Hohe, et al., “Age related changes in the morphology and deformational bahaviour of knee joint cartilage,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 44, pp. 2256–2261, 2001.
- P. G. Bullough and A. Jagannath, “The morphology of the calcification front in articular cartilage. Its significance in joint function,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 72–78, 1983.
- P. D. Kohlberger, F. Breitenecker, A. Kaider et al., “Modified true-color computer-assisted image analysis versus subjective scoring of estrogen receptor expression in breast cancer: a comparison,” Anticancer Research, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 2189–2193, 1999.
- C. F. Chantrain, Y. A. DeClerck, S. Groshen, and G. McNamara, “Computerized quantification of tissue vascularization using high-resolution slide scanning of whole tumor sections,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 151–158, 2003.
- A. C. Ruifrok, R. L. Katz, and D. A. Johnston, “Comparison of quantification of histochemical staining by hue-saturation-intensity (HSI) transformation and color-deconvolution,” Applied Immunohistochemistry and Molecular Morphology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 85–91, 2003.