- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 357904, 9 pages
Oral Janus Kinase Inhibitor for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis: Tofacitinib
1Internal Medicine, SEGi University, No. 9 Jalan Teknologi, Taman Sains Selangor, Kota Damansara, PJU 5, 47810 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
2Community Medicine, Melaka Manipal Medical College, Jalan Batu Hampar, Bukit Baru, Malacca 75150, Malaysia
3Ophthalmology, Melaka Manipal Medical College, Jalan Batu Hampar, Bukit Baru, Malacca 75150, Malaysia
4Diagnostic Radiology, Defense Service General Hospital, Naypyitaw, Myanmar
Received 30 May 2013; Accepted 29 June 2013
Academic Editors: O. Sander and P. Voulgari
Copyright © 2013 Han Ni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. M. Brooks, “The burden of musculoskeletal disease—a global perspective,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 778–781, 2006.
- A. J. Silmanand and J. E. Pearson, “Epidemiology and genetics of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Research, vol. 4, supplement 3, pp. S265–S272, 2002.
- “Rheumatoid Arthritis: centers for disease control and prevention,” http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/basics/rheumatoid.htm.
- D. Symmons, C. Mathers, and B. Pfleger, “The global burden of rheumatoid arthritis in the year 2000,” Working Paper, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, http://www.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/bod_rheumatoidarthritis.pdf.
- C. G. Helmick, D. T. Felson, R. C. Lawrence et al., “Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part I,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 2008.
- T. Pincus, Y. Yazici, T. Sokka, D. Aletaha, and J. S. Smolen, “Methotrexate as the “anchor drug” for the treatment of early rheumatoid arthritis,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 5, supplement 31, pp. S179–S185, 2003.
- V. C. Kyttaris, “Kinase inhibitors: a new class of antirheumatic drugs,” Drug Design, Development and Therapy, vol. 6, pp. 245–250, 2012.
- L.-D. Quan, G. M. Thiele, J. Tian, and D. Wang, “The development of novel therapies for rheumatoid arthritis,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 723–738, 2008.
- J. S. Smolen, R. Landewé, F. C. Breedveld, et al., “EULAR recommendations for the management of rheumatoid arthritis with synthetic and biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 964–975, 2010.
- J. A. Singh, D. E. Furst, A. Bharat et al., “2012 update of the 2008 American college of rheumatology recommendations for the use of disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs and biologic agents in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 635–639, 2012.
- I. B. McInnes and G. Schett, “The pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, no. 23, pp. 2205–2219, 2011.
- P. Emery and T. Dörner, “Optimising treatment in rheumatoid arthritis: a review of potential biological markers of response,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 70, no. 12, pp. 2063–2070, 2011.
- Y. Yazici and A. L. Regens, “Promising new treatments for rheumatoid arthritis: the kinase inhibitors,” Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 233–237, 2011.
- S. H. Park, S. K. Kim, and J. Y. Choe, “Biologic agent for rheumatoid arthritis,” Hanyang Medical Reviews, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 68–76, 2012.
- G. R. Burmester, R. Blanco, C. Charles-Schoeman, et al., “Tofacitinib (CP-690, 550) in combination with methotrexate in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis with an inadequate response to tumour necrosis factor inhibitors: a randomised phase 3 trial,” The Lancet, vol. 381, no. 9865, pp. 451–460, 2013.
- R. Fleischmann, J. Kremer, J. Cush, et al., “Placebo-controlled trial of tofacitinib monotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 367, no. 6, pp. 495–507, 2012.
- J. Kremer, Z.-G. Li, S. Hall, et al., “Tofacitinib (CP-690, 550), an oral JAK inhibitor, in combination with traditional DMARDs: phase 3 study in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis with inadequate response to DMARD,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 70, supplement 3, p. 170, 2011, Late breaking abstracts at EULAR.
- D. van der Heijde, Y. Tanaka, R. Fleischmann, et al., “Tofacitinib (CP-690, 550) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving methotrexate: twelve-month data from a twenty-four-month phase III randomized radiographic study,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 559–570, 2013.
- R. F. van Vollenhoven, R. Fleischmann, S. Cohen, et al., “Tofacitinib or adalimumab versus placebo in rheumatoid arthritis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 367, no. 6, pp. 508–519, 2012.
- R. Fleischmann, M. Cutolo, M. C. Genovese et al., “Phase IIb dose-ranging study of the oral JAK inhibitor tofacitinib (CP-690,550) or adalimumab monotherapy versus placebo in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis with an inadequate response to disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 617–629, 2012.
- J. M. Kremer, S. Cohen, B. E. Wilkinson, et al., “A phase IIb dose-ranging study of the oral JAK inhibitor tofacitinib (CP-690, 550) versus placebo in combination with background methotrexate in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis and an inadequate response to methotrexate alone,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 970–981, 2012.
- Y. Tanaka, M. Suzuki, H. Nakamura, S. Toyoizumi, and S. H. Zwillich, “Phase II study of tofacitinib (CP-690,550) combined with methotrexate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and an inadequate response to methotrexate,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 1150–1158, 2011.
- J. M. Kremer, B. J. Bloom, F. C. Breedveld et al., “The safety and efficacy of a JAK inhibitor in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled phase IIa trial of three dosage levels of CP-690,550 versus placebo,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 1895–1905, 2009.
- J. H. Coombs, B. J. Bloom, F. C. Breedveld et al., “Improved pain, physical functioning and health status in patients with rheumatoid arthritis treated with CP-690,550, an orally active Janus kinase (JAK) inhibitor: results from a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 413–416, 2010.
- G. R. Stark and J. E. Darnell Jr., “The JAK-STAT pathway at twenty,” Immunity, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 503–514, 2012.
- J. J. O'Shea, S. M. Hollandand, and L. M. Staudt, “JAKs and STATs in immunity, immunodeficiency and cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 368, pp. 161–170, 2013.
- J. J. O'Shea and R. Plenge, “JAK and STAT signaling molecules in immunoregulation and immune-mediated disease,” Immunity, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 542–550, 2012.
- D. L. Simmons, “Targeting kinases: a new approach to treating inflammatory rheumatic diseases,” Current Opinion in Pharmacology, vol. 13, pp. 1–9, 2013.
- R. Fleischmann, “Novel small-molecular therapeutics for rheumatoid arthritis,” Current Opininion in Rheumatology, vol. 24, pp. 335–341, 2012.
- C. Kahn, “Tofacitinib for Rheumatoid Arthritis,” 2012, http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/ArthritisAdvisoryCommittee/UCM304200.pdf.
- “FDA approves Xeljanz for rheumatoid arthritis,” http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm327152.htm.
- C. A. F. Zerbini and A. B. V. Lomonte, “Tofacitinib for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” Expert Review of Clinical Immunology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 319–331, 2012.
- K. Maeshima, K. Yamaoka, S. Kubo, et al., “The JAK inhibitor tofacitinib regulates synovitis through inhibition of interferon-γ and interleukin-17 production by human CD4+ T cells,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 1790–1798, 2012.
- Pfizer, “Tofacitinib for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis. NDA, 203214, Briefing Document for the May 9, 2012, meeting of the Arthritis Advisory Committee,” http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/ArthritisAdvisoryCommittee/UCM302960.
- K. M. O'Dell and A. E. Rummel, “Tofacitinib: a novel oral Janus kinase inhibitor for rheumatoid arthritis,” Formulary, vol. 47, pp. 350–358, 2012.
- E. Salgado, J. R. Maneiro, L. Carmona, and J. J. Gomez-Reino, “Safety profile of protein kinase inhibitors in rheumatoid arthritis: systematic review and meta-analysis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 2013.