ISRN Software Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 162305, 11 pages
Lessons Learnt from Gauging Software Metrics of Cabin Software in a Commercial Airliner
1TCC4 System Integration—Communication, EADS Innovation Works, 81663 Munich, Germany
2Software Engineering Group, University of Mannheim, 68131 Mannheim, Germany
Received 14 June 2012; Accepted 4 September 2012
Academic Editors: C. Calero and R. J. Walker
Copyright © 2012 Stefan Burger and Oliver Hummel. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Klocwork, Streamlining DO-178B Efforts with Source Code Analysis, Klocwork, Burlington, Canada, 2009.
- J. M. Voas and K. W. Miller, “Software testability: the new verification,” IEEE Software, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 17–28, 1995.
- RTCA, DO-178B: Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification, DO-178B/ED-12B, RTCA/EUROCAE, 1992.
- D. C. Sharp, “Reducing avionics software cost through component based product line development,” in Proceedings of the 17th AIAA/IEEE/SAE Digital Avionics Systems Conference, 1998.
- N. E. Fenton and S. L. Pfleeger, Software Metrics, Chapman & Hall, 1991.
- N. Nagappan, T. Ball, and A. Zeller, “Mining metrics to predict component failures,” in Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE '06), pp. 452–461, May 2006.
- A. Schröter, T. Zimmermann, and A. Zeller, “Predicting component failures at design time,” in Proceedings of the 5th ACM-IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering (ISCE '06), pp. 18–27, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, September 2006.
- T. Gyimóthy, R. Ferenc, and I. Siket, “Empirical validation of object-oriented metrics on open source software for fault prediction,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 897–910, 2005.
- S. Burger and O. Hummel, “Applying maintainability oriented software metrics to cabin software of a commercial airliner,” in Proceedings of the 16th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering, Szeged, Hungary, 2012.
- M. H. Halstead, Elements of Software Science, Elsevier, 1977.
- T. J. McCabe, “A complexity measure,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, no. 4, pp. 308–320, 1976.
- J. J. Chilenski and S. P. Miller, “Applicability of modified condition/decision coverage to software testing,” Software Engineering Journal, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 193–200, 1994.
- DO254, Design Assurance Guidance for Airborne Electronic Hardware, Research and Development for Alternate Antenna Designs is Needed to Solve the Antenna Crash Tolerance and Installation Problems, DO-254 /ED-80, 2000.
- ISO, “International Standard ISO/IEC 9126,” Information technology: Software product evaluation: Quality characteristics and guidelines for their use, 1991.
- ISO/IEC, 25010 Systems and Software Engineering-Systems and Software Quality Requirements and Evaluation (SQuaRE)-System and Software Quality Models, 2011.
- D. Stavrinoudis and M. Xenos, Comparing internal and external software quality.
- D. Spinellis, G. Gousios, V. Karakoidas et al., “Evaluating the quality of open source software,” Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 233, pp. 5–28, 2009.
- V. R. Basili and D. M. Weiss, “A methodology for collecting valid software engineering data,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 728–738, 1984.
- S. R. Chidamber and C. F. Kemerer, “Metrics suite for object oriented design,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 476–493, 1994.
- K. K. Aggarwal, Y. Singh, and J. K. Chhabra, “An integrated measure of software maintainability,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Reliability, Maintainability Symposium, 2002.
- S. Henry and D. Kafura, “Software structure metrics based on information flow,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, no. 5, pp. 510–518, 1981.
- E. Yourdon and L. L. Constantine, Structured Design: Fundamentals of a Discipline of Computer Program and Systems Design, Prentice-Hall, 1979.
- E. W. Dijkstra, “Letters to the editor: go to statement considered harmful,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 147–148, 1968.
- C. Jones, “Software metrics: good, bad, and missing,” IEEE Computer, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 98–100, 1994.
- D. Coleman, D. Ash, B. Lowther, and P. Oman, “Using metrics to evaluate software system maintainability,” IEEE Computer, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 44–49, 1994.
- I. Heitlager, T. Kuipers, and J. Visser, “A practical model for measuring maintainability—a preliminary report,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on the Quality of Information and Communications Technology (QUATIC '07), pp. 30–39, September 2007.
- T. L. Alves, C. Ypma, and J. Visser, “Deriving metric thresholds from benchmark data,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM '10), September 2010.
- T. L. Alves, J. P. Correia, and J. Visser, “Benchmark-based aggregation of metrics to ratings,” in Proceedings of the 21st International Workshop and 6th International Conference on Software Process and Product Measurement (IWSM-MENSURA '11), 2011.
- M. Riaz, E. Mendes, and E. Tempero, “A systematic review of software maintainability prediction and metrics,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM '09), pp. 367–377, October 2009.
- I. Stamelos, L. Angelis, A. Oikonomou, and G. L. Bleris, “Code quality analysis in open source software development,” Information Systems Journal, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 43–60, 2002.
- C. S. Ramos, K. M. Oliveira, and N. Anquetil, “Legacy software evaluation model for outsourced maintainer,” in Proceedings of the European Conference on Software Maintainance and Reengineering (CSMR '04), pp. 48–57, March 2004.
- T. Weber, “Logiscope—Softwaremesstool Version 1.5.1,” Universität Otto von Guericke Magdeburg, 2011, http://home.arcor.de/titusweber/logi/logi.html.
- P. Embrechts, F. Lindskog, and A. McNeil, “Modelling dependence with copulas and applications to risk management,” Handbook of Heavy Tailed Distributions in Finance, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 329–384, 2003.
- O. Burn, “Checkstyle homepage,” 2012, http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/.
- DO-332, Object-Oriented Technology and Related Techniques Supplement to DO-178C and DO-278A, Research and Development for Alternate Antenna Designs is Needed to Solve the Antenna Crash Tolerance and Installation Problems, DO-332, 2012.
- RTCA, DO-178C: Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification, 2012.
- S. Burger and O. Hummel, “Towards automatic reconfiguration of aviation software systems,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Industrial Experience in Embedded System Design, Munich, Germany, 2011.