ISRN Software Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 324054, 22 pages
Synthesis of Test Scenarios Using UML Sequence Diagrams
1Department of CSE, Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal 576104, India
2School of Information Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721302, India
Received 20 December 2011; Accepted 8 February 2012
Academic Editors: S. D. Kim and H. Okamura
Copyright © 2012 Ashalatha Nayak and Debasis Samanta. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Jacobson, Object-Oriented Software Engineering: A Use Case Driven Approach, Addison-Wesley, 1992.
- I. Jacobson and P. Ng, Aspect-Oriented Software Development with Use Cases, Addison Wesley, 2004.
- A. Cockburn, Writing Effective Use Cases, Addison-Wesley, 2001.
- P. Metz, J. O'Brien, and W. Weber, “Specifying use case interaction: types of alternative courses,” Journal of Object Technology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 111–131, 2003.
- X. Bai, W.-T. Tsai, R. Paul, K. Feng, and L. Yu, “Scenario based modeling and its applications,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Object-Oriented Real-Time Dependable Systems, 2002.
- B. Selic, “What’s new in UML 2.0?” Tech. Rep., IBM Rational Software, April 2005.
- “UML. UML 2.3 Superstructure-Final Adopted Specification,” Object Management Group, May 2010, http://www.omg.org/spec/UML/2.3.
- F. J. Lucas, F. Molina, and A. Toval, “A systematic review of UML model consistency management,” Information and Software Technology, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 1631–1645, 2009.
- M. Elaasar and L. Briand, “An overview of UML consistency management,” Tech. Rep. SCE-04-18, Department of Systems and Computer Engineering, Ottawa, Canada, 2004.
- S. Uchitel and M. Chechik, “Merging partial behavioural models,” in 12th ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering, pp. 43–52, November 2004.
- R. Mizouni, A. Salah, S. Kolahi, and R. Dssouli, “Merging partial system behaviours: composition of use-case automata,” IET Software, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 143–160, 2007.
- D. Bell, “UML’s sequence diagram,” Technical Library, IBM Rational Software, February 2004.
- O. Pilskalns, A. Andrews, A. Knight, S. Ghosh, and R. France, “Testing UML designs,” Information and Software Technology, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 892–912, 2007.
- E. G. Cartaxo, F. G. O. Neto, and P. D. L. Machado, “Test case generation by means of UML sequence diagrams and labeled transition systems,” in IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 1292–1297, October 2007.
- C. Nebut, F. Fleurey, Y. Le Traon, and J. M. Jézéquel, “Automatic test generation: a use case driven approach,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 140–155, 2006.
- A. Z. Javed, P. A. Strooper, and G. N. Watson, “Automated generation of test cases using model-driven architecture,” in 29th International Conference on Software Engineering and the 2nd International Workshop on Automation of Software Test, May 2007.
- Z. Dai, “Model-driven testing with UML 2.0,” in Proceedings of the 2nd European Workshop on Model Driven Architecture, 2004.
- Z. Micskei and H. Waeselynck, “The many meanings of UML 2 Sequence Diagrams: a survey,” Software and Systems Modeling, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 489–514, 2011.
- B. Cornelissen, A. Van Deursen, L. Moonen, and A. Zaidman, “Visualizing testsuites to aid in software understanding,” in 11th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering, pp. 213–222, March 2007.
- D. Harel and I. Segall, “Visualizing inter-dependencies between scenarios,” in 4th ACM Symposium on Software Visualization, pp. 145–154, September 2008.
- N. G. Pan-Wei, Hunting for Use-Case Scenarios, The Rational Edge, Lexington, Mass, USA, 2003.
- F. E. Allen, “Control flow analysis,” ACM Sigplan Notices, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1–19, 1970.
- A. Nayak and D. Samanta, “Model-based test cases synthesis using UML interaction diagrams,” ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 1–10, 2009.
- A. J. Offutt, “Investigations of the software testing coupling effect,” ACM Transactions on Software Engineering Methodology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 5–20, 1992.
- M. R. Lyu, Z. Huang, S. K. S. Sze, and X. Cai, “An empirical study on testing and fault tolerance for software reliability engineering,” in Proceedings of the 14th International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering, November 2003.
- S. Ali, L. C. Briand, M. J. Rehman, H. Asghar, M. Z. Z. Iqbal, and A. Nadeem, “A state-based approach to integration testing based on UML models,” Information and Software Technology, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 1087–1106, 2007.
- A. Paradkar, “Case studies on fault detection effectiveness of model based test generation techniques,” in 1st International Workshop on Advances in Model-Based Testing, May 2005.
- S. Kim, J. Clark, and J. McDermid, “The rigorous generation of Java mutation operators using HAZOP,” in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Software and Systems Engineering and their Applications, pp. 9–19, Paris, France, December 1999.
- M. Delamaro, M. Pezze, and A. M. R. Vincenzi, “Mutant operators for testing concurrent Java programs,” in Proceedings of the Brazilian Symposium on Software Engineering, pp. 272–285, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2001.
- MagicDraw, Magicdraw home page, 2010, http://www.magicdraw.com.
- A. J. Offutt, Z. Jin, and J. Pan, “The dynamic domain reduction procedure for test data generation,” Software-Practice and Experience, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 167–193, 1999.
- R. V. Binder, Testing Object Oriented Systems: Models, Patterns and Tools, The Addison-Wesley Object Technology Series, Addison-Wesley, 1999.
- R. M. Hierons, K. Bogdanov, J. P. Bowen et al., “Using formal specifications to support testing,” ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 41, no. 2, article no. 9, 2009.
- Y. Bontemps and A. Egyed, “Scenarios and state machines: models, algorithms, and tools: a summary of the 4th workshop,” ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 1–4, 2005.
- D. Harel and H. Kugler, “Synthesizing state-based object systems from LSC specifications,” International Journal of Foundations of Computer Science, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 5–51, 2002.
- D. Harel, H. Kugler, and A. Pnueli, “Synthesis revisited: Generating statechart models from scenario-based requirements,” in Formal Methods in Software and Systems Modeling, pp. 309–324, Springer, 2005.
- J. Whittle and P. K. Jayaraman, “Synthesizing hierarchical state machines from expressive scenario descriptions,” ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology, vol. 19, no. 3, article no. 8, 2010.
- F. Basanieri and A. Bertolino, “A practical approach to UML-based derivation of integration tests,” in Proceedings of the Software Quality Week, November 2000.
- F. Fraikin and T. Leonhardt, “SeDiTeC-testing based on sequence diagrams,” in Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Automated Software Engineering, pp. 261–266, 2002.
- F. T. Cheng, C. H. Wang, and Y. C. Su, “Development of a generic tester for distributed object-oriented systems,” in IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1723–1730, September 2003.
- L. Briand and Y. Labiche, “A UML-based approach to system testing,” Journal of Software and Systems Modeling, pp. 10–42, 2002.
- T. T. Dinh-Trong, S. Ghosh, and R. B. France, “A systematic approach to generate inputs to test UML design models,” in 17th International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering, pp. 95–104, November 2006.
- V. Garousi, L. C. Briand, and Y. Labiche, “Control flow analysis of UML 2.0 sequence diagrams,” in 1st European Conference on Model Driven Architecture—Foundations and Applications, pp. 160–174, 2005.