- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 832496, 5 pages
Outcomes after Radical Prostatectomy in Ghanaians: A Surgeon's Early Experience
1Department of Surgery and Urology, University of Ghana Medical School, P.O. Box 4236, Accra, Ghana
2Department of Anaesthesia, Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, P.O. Box 77 Korle Bu, Accra, Ghana
Received 28 February 2013; Accepted 9 April 2013
Academic Editors: J. H. Ku and K. H. Tsui
Copyright © 2013 Mathew Yamoah Kyei et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Grönberg, “Prostate cancer epidemiology,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9360, pp. 859–864, 2003.
- E. Yeboah, E. Hsing, Y. Tetteh et al., “Prostate cancer screening in Ghana,” Urology, vol. 74, supplement 1, no. 4, pp. S200–S201, 2009.
- D. N. Osegbe, “Prostate cancer in Nigerians: facts and nonfacts,” Journal of Urology, vol. 157, no. 4, pp. 1340–1343, 1997.
- E. K. Wiredu and H. B. Armah, “Cancer mortality patterns in Ghana: a 10-year review of autopsies and hospital mortality,” BMC Public Health, vol. 6, article 159, 2006.
- P. C. Walsh, “Radical prostatectomy for localized prostate cancer provides durable cancer control with excellent quality of life: a structured debate,” Journal of Urology, vol. 163, no. 6, pp. 1802–1807, 2000.
- A. Ruenes Jr. and S. M. Gueye, “Teaching radical prostatectomy in sub-Saharan Africa,” The Canadian Journal of Urology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 3886–3889, 2008.
- I. J. Powell, “Epidemiology and pathophysiology of prostate cancer in African-American men,” Journal of Urology, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 444–449, 2007.
- C. F. Heyns, M. Fisher, A. Lecuona, and A. van der Merwe, “Prostate cancer among different racial groups in the western cape: presenting features and management,” South African Medical Journal, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 267–270, 2011.
- B. F. Morrison, K. Coard, G. Strachan, R. Miller, W. Aiken, and R. Mayhew, “Radical prostatectomy outcomes at the university hospital of the West Indies; 2000–2007,” West Indian Medical Journal, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 68–72.
- S. E. Shirley, C. T. Escoffery, L. A. Sargeant, and T. Tulloch, “Clinicopathological features of prostate cancer in Jamaican men,” BJU International, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 390–395, 2002.
- W. J. Catalona, G. F. Carvalhal, D. E. Mager, and D. S. Smith, “Potency, continence and complication rates in 1,870 consecutive radical retropubic prostatectomies,” Journal of Urology, vol. 162, no. 2, pp. 433–438, 1999.
- S. S. Chang, D. T. Duong, N. Wells, E. E. Cole, J. A. Smith, and M. S. Cookson, “Predicting blood loss and transfusion requirements during radical prostatectomy: the significant negative impact of increasing body mass index,” Journal of Urology, vol. 171, no. 5, pp. 1861–1865, 2004.
- R. Paul, R. Schmid, R. Busch et al., “Influence of blood transfusions during radical retropubic prostatectomy on disease outcome,” Urology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 137–141, 2006.
- J. A. Eastham, K. Kuroiwa, M. Ohori et al., “Prognostic significance of location of positive margins in radical prostatectomy specimens,” Urology, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 965–969, 2007.