- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 863489, 8 pages
A Dual 5α-Reductase Inhibitor Dutasteride Caused Reductions in Vascular Density and Area in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
1Department of Urology, Kanto Rosai Hospital, 1-1 Kizukisumiyoshi-cho, Nakahara-ku, Kawasaki 211-8510, Japan
2Department of Pathology, Kanto Rosai Hospital, 1-1 Kizukisumiyoshi-cho, Nakahara-ku, Kawasaki 211-8510, Japan
Received 29 November 2012; Accepted 19 December 2012
Academic Editors: C. E. Constantinou, J. H. Ku, and R. Shamloul
Copyright © 2013 Masayoshi Zaitsu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Wilson, “Role of dihydrotestosterone in androgen action,” The Prostate, supplement 6, pp. 88–92, 1996.
- Clinical guideline of benign prostatic hyperplasia of American Urological Association, http://www.auanet.org.
- D. W. Russell and J. D. Wilson, “Steroid 5 alpha-reductase: two genes/two enzymes,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 63, pp. 25–61, 1994.
- G. Andriole, N. Bruchovsky, L. W. K. Chung et al., “Dihydrotestosterone and the prostate: the scientific rationale for 5α-reductase inhibitors in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia,” Journal of Urology, vol. 172, no. 4 I, pp. 1399–1403, 2004.
- R. V. Clark, D. J. Hermann, G. R. Cunningham, T. H. Wilson, B. B. Morrill, and S. Hobbs, “Marked suppression of dihydrotestosterone in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia by dutasteride, a dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitor,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 2179–2184, 2004.
- S. J. Keam and L. J. Scott, “Dutasteride: a review of its use in the management of prostate disorders,” Drugs, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 463–485, 2008.
- A. E. Thigpen, K. M. Cala, and D. W. Russell, “Characterization of Chinese hamster ovary cell lines expressing human steroid 5α-reductase isozymes,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 23, pp. 17404–17412, 1993.
- M. Marberger, “Drug insight: 5α-reductase inhibitors for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia,” Nature Clinical Practice Urology, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 495–503, 2006.
- S. V. Frye, “Discovery and clinical development of dutasteride, a potent dual 5α-reductase inhibitor,” Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 405–421, 2006.
- H. N. Bramson, D. Hermann, K. W. Batchelor, F. W. Lee, M. K. James, and S. V. Frye, “Unique preclinical characteristics of GG745, a potent dual inhibitor of 5AR,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 282, no. 3, pp. 1496–1502, 1997.
- A. V. Sarma and J. T. Wei, “Clinical practice. Benign prostatic hyperplasia and lower urinary tract symptoms,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 367, pp. 248–257, 2012.
- R. G. Hahn, T. Fagerström, T. L. J. Tammela et al., “Blood loss and postoperative complications associated with transurethral resection of the prostate after pretreatment with dutasteride,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 587–594, 2007.
- S. Kravchick, S. Cytron, A. Mamonov, R. Peled, and L. Linov, “Effect of short-term dutasteride therapy on prostate vascularity in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia: a pilot study,” Urology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1274–1278, 2009.
- J. H. Ku, J. K. Shin, M. C. Cho, J. K. Myung, K. C. Moon, and J. S. Paick, “Effect of dutasteride on the expression of hypoxia-inducible factor-1α, vascular endothelial growth factor and microvessel density in rat and human prostate tissue,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 445–453, 2009.
- P. J. Gallagher and A. C. van der Wal, “Blood vessels,” in Histology for Pathologists, S. E. Mills, Ed., pp. 217–238, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 3rd edition, 2007.
- J. Wilting, M. Papoutsi, B. Christ et al., “The transcription factor Prox1 is a marker for lymphatic endothelial cells in normal and diseased human tissues,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1271–1273, 2002.
- U. Fiedler, S. Christian, S. Koidl et al., “The sialomucin CD34 is a marker of lymphatic endothelial cells in human tumors,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 168, no. 3, pp. 1045–1053, 2006.
- A. Godoy, A. Watts, P. Sotomayor et al., “Androgen receptor is causally involved in the homeostasis of the human prostate endothelial cell,” Endocrinology, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 2959–2969, 2008.
- A. Shabsigh, D. T. Chang, D. F. Heitjan et al., “Rapid reduction in blood flow to the rat ventral prostate gland after castration: preliminary evidence that androgens influence prostate size by regulating blood flow to the prostate gland and prostatic endothelial cell survival,” Prostate, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 201–206, 1998.
- J. F. Donohue, D. Hayne, U. Karnik, D. R. Thomas, and M. C. Foster, “Randomized, placebo-controlled trial showing that finasteride reduces prostatic vascularity rapidly within 2 weeks,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 1319–1322, 2005.
- A. G. Lekas, A. C. Lazaris, M. Chrisofos et al., “Finasteride effects on hypoxia and angiogenetic markers in benign prostatic hyperplasia,” Urology, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 436–441, 2006.
- K. R. Butler Jr., H. Benghuzzi, M. Tucci, and A. Puckett, “Neovascularization is influenced by androgenic hormones in the tissue implant response,” Biomedical Sciences Instrumentation, vol. 48, pp. 49–56, 2012.
- K. Røe, L. T. Mikalsen, A. J. van der Kogel, et al., “Vascular responses to radiotherapy and androgen-deprivation therapy in experimental prostate cancer,” Radiation Oncology, vol. 7, no. 1, article 75, 2012.
- K. Das, P. D. N. Lorena, L. K. Ng et al., “Differential expression of steroid 5α-reductase isozymes and association with disease severity and angiogenic genes predict their biological role in prostate cancer,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 757–770, 2010.
- G. L. Andriole, P. Humphrey, P. Ray et al., “Effect of the dual 5α-reductase inhibitor dutasteride on markers of tumor regression in prostate cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 172, no. 3, pp. 915–919, 2004.
- G. L. Andriole, D. G. Bostwick, O. W. Brawley et al., “Effect of dutasteride on the risk of prostate cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 13, pp. 1192–1202, 2010.