- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 970370, 8 pages
Insulin Deprivation Decreases Caspase-Dependent Apoptotic Signaling in Cultured Rat Sertoli Cells
CICS-UBI, Health Sciences Research Centre, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Beira Interior, Avenue Infante D. Henrique, 6201-506 Covilhã, Portugal
Received 1 July 2013; Accepted 12 September 2013
Academic Editors: A. Fandella, J. H. Ku, A. Papatsoris, and C. Podlasek
Copyright © 2013 T. R. Dias et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Su, D. D. Mruk, and C. Y. Cheng, “Drug transporters, the blood-testis barrier, and spermatogenesis,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 208, no. 3, pp. 207–223, 2011.
- S. Mackay, “Gonadal development in mammals at the cellular and molecular levels,” International Review of Cytology, vol. 200, pp. 47–99, 2000.
- L. Rato, M. G. Alves, S. Socorro, A. I. Duarte, J. E. Cavaco, and P. F. Oliveira, “Metabolic regulation is important for spermatogenesis,” Nature Reviews Urology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 330–338, 2012.
- M. G. Alves, L. Rato, R. A. Carvalho, P. I. Moreira, S. Socorro, and P. F. Oliveira, “Hormonal control of Sertoli cell metabolism regulates spermatogenesis,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 777–793, 2013.
- J. A. Grootegoed, R. B. Oonk, R. Jansen, and H. J. van der Molen, “Metabolism of radiolabelled energy-yielding substrates by rat Sertoli cells,” Journal of Reproduction and Fertility, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 109–118, 1986.
- R. Robinson and I. B. Fritz, “Metabolism of glucose by Sertoli cells in culture,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1032–1041, 1981.
- J. M. Orth, G. L. Gunsalus, and A. A. Lamperti, “Evidence from Sertoli cell-depleted rats indicates that spermatid number in adults depends on numbers of Sertoli cells produced during perinatal development,” Endocrinology, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 787–794, 1988.
- R. M. Sharpe, C. McKinnell, C. Kivlin, and J. S. Fisher, “Proliferation and functional maturation of Sertoli cells, and their relevance to disorders of testis function in adulthood,” Reproduction, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 769–784, 2003.
- K. K. Shukla, A. A. Mahdi, and S. Rajender, “Apoptosis, spermatogenesis and male infertility,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 4, pp. 746–754, 2012.
- M. O. Hengartner, “The biochemistry of apoptosis,” Nature, vol. 407, no. 6805, pp. 770–776, 2000.
- Z. Mallat and A. Tedgui, “Apoptosis in the vasculature: mechanisms and functional importance,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 947–962, 2000.
- Y. Arima, M. Nitta, S. Kuninaka et al., “Transcriptional blockade induces p53-dependent apoptosis associated with translocation of p53 to mitochondria,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 19, pp. 19166–19176, 2005.
- T. Miyashita and J. C. Reed, “Tumor suppressor p53 is a direct transcriptional activator of the human bax gene,” Cell, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 293–299, 1995.
- M. H. Harris and C. B. Thompson, “The role of the Bcl-2 family in the regulation of outer mitochondrial membrane permeability,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1182–1191, 2000.
- R. M. Kluck, E. Bossy-Wetzel, D. R. Green, and D. D. Newmeyer, “The release of cytochrome c from mitochondria: a primary site for Bcl- 2 regulation of apoptosis,” Science, vol. 275, no. 5303, pp. 1132–1136, 1997.
- M. G. V. Heiden, N. S. Chandel, E. K. Williamson, P. T. Schumacker, and C. B. Thompson, “Bcl-x(L) regulates the membrane potential and volume homeostasis of mitochondria,” Cell, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 627–637, 1997.
- A. Gross, J. Jockel, M. C. Wei, and S. J. Korsmeyer, “Enforced dimerization of BAX results in its translocation, mitochondrial dysfunction and apoptosis,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 17, no. 14, pp. 3878–3885, 1998.
- P. Li, D. Nijhawan, I. Budihardjo et al., “Cytochrome c and dATP-dependent formation of Apaf-1/caspase-9 complex initiates an apoptotic protease cascade,” Cell, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 479–489, 1997.
- S. J. Riedl and G. S. Salvesen, “The apoptosome: signalling platform of cell death,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 405–413, 2007.
- W. C. Earnshaw, L. M. Martins, and S. H. Kaufmann, “Mammalian caspases: structure, activation, substrates, and functions during apoptosis,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 68, pp. 383–424, 1999.
- B. S. Majors, M. J. Betenbaugh, and G. G. Chiang, “Links between metabolism and apoptosis in mammalian cells: applications for anti-apoptosis engineering,” Metabolic Engineering, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 317–326, 2007.
- F. Boussouar and M. Benahmed, “Lactate and energy metabolism in male germ cells,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 345–350, 2004.
- L. Rato, M. G. Alves, S. Socorro, R. A. Carvalho, J. E. Cavaco, and P. F. Oliveira, “Metabolic modulation induced by oestradiol and DHT in immature rat Sertoli cells cultured in vitro,” Bioscience Reports, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 61–69, 2012.
- P. F. Oliveira, M. G. Alves, L. Rato et al., “Influence of 5α-dihydrotestosterone and 17β-estradiol on human Sertoli cells metabolism,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 34, no. 6, part 2, pp. e612–e620, 2011.
- M. G. Alves, S. Socorro, J. Silva, et al., “In vitro cultured human Sertoli cells secrete high amounts of acetate that is stimulated by 17β-estradiol and suppressed by insulin deprivation,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1823, no. 8, pp. 1389–1394, 2012.
- G. M. Reaven, “Banting lecture 1988. Role of insulin resistance in human disease,” Diabetes, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1595–1607, 1988.
- L. Rato, M. Alves, T. Dias, et al., “High-energy diets may induce a pre-diabetic state altering testicular glycolytic metabolic profile and male reproductive parameters,” Andrology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 495–504, 2013.
- A. Rabinovitch and W. L. Suarez-Pinzon, “Cytokines and their roles in pancreatic islet β-cell destruction and insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 1139–1149, 1998.
- S. Amaral, A. J. Moreno, M. S. Santos, R. Seiça, and J. Ramalho-Santos, “Effects of hyperglycemia on sperm and testicular cells of Goto-Kakizaki and streptozotocin-treated rat models for diabetes,” Theriogenology, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 2056–2067, 2006.
- S. la Vignera, R. Condorelli, E. Vicari, R. D'Agata, and A. E. Calogero, “Diabetes mellitus and minireview sperm parameters,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 145–153, 2012.
- P. F. Oliveira, M. Sousa, A. Barros, T. Moura, and A. R. da Costa, “Intracellular pH regulation in human Sertoli cells: role of membrane transporters,” Reproduction, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 353–359, 2009.
- A. D. Martins, M. G. Alves, V. L. Simões, et al., “Control of Sertoli cell metabolism by sex steroid hormones is mediated through modulation in glycolysis-related transporters and enzymes,” Cell Tissue Research, 2013.
- K. Steger, R. Rey, S. Kliesch, F. Louis, G. Schleicher, and M. Bergmann, “Immunohistochemical detection of immature Sertoli cell markers in testicular tissue of infertile adult men: a preliminary study,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 122–128, 1996.
- C. Picado, J. C. Fernandez-Morata, M. Juan et al., “Cyclooxygenase-2 mRNA is downexpressed in nasal polyps from aspirin- sensitive asthmatics,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 291–296, 1999.
- M. G. Alves, N. G. Machado, V. A. Sardão, R. A. Carvalho, and P. J. Oliveira, “Anti-apoptotic protection afforded by cardioplegic celsior and histidine buffer solutions to hearts subjected to ischemia and ischemia/reperfusion,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 3872–3881, 2011.
- K. H. Vousden and D. P. Lane, “p53 in health and disease,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 275–283, 2007.
- M. Raisova, A. M. Hossini, J. Eberle et al., “The Bax/Bcl-2 ratio determines the susceptibility of human melanoma cells to CD95/Fas-mediated apoptosis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 333–340, 2001.
- M. W. Lee, I. Hirai, and H. G. Wang, “Caspase-3-mediated cleavage of Rad9 during apoptosis,” Oncogene, vol. 22, no. 41, pp. 6340–6346, 2003.
- J. C. Reed, “Bcl-2 and the regulation of programmed cell death,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 1994.
- J. Yang, X. Liu, K. Bhalla et al., “Prevention of apoptosis by Bcl-2: release of cytochrome c from mitochondria blocked,” Science, vol. 275, no. 5303, pp. 1129–1132, 1997.
- L. Shi, J. Chen, J. Yang, T. Pan, S. Zhang, and Z. Wang, “MiR-21 protected human glioblastoma U87MG cells from chemotherapeutic drug temozolomide induced apoptosis by decreasing Bax/Bcl-2 ratio and caspase-3 activity,” Brain Research, vol. 1352, pp. 255–264, 2010.
- I. Budihardjo, H. Oliver, M. Lutter, X. Luo, and X. Wang, “Biochemical pathways of caspase activation during apoptosis,” Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 15, pp. 269–290, 1999.
- H. Zou, R. Yang, J. Hao et al., “Regulation of the Apaf-1/caspase-9 apoptosome by caspase-3 and XIAP,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 10, pp. 8091–8098, 2003.
- D. Twiddy and K. Cain, “Caspase-9 cleavage, do you need it?” The Biochemical Journal, vol. 405, no. 1, pp. e1–e2, 2007.
- R. C. Taylor, S. P. Cullen, and S. J. Martin, “Apoptosis: controlled demolition at the cellular level,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 231–241, 2008.
- D. F. Cameron, F. T. Murray, and D. D. Drylie, “Interstitial compartment pathology and spermatogenic disruption in testes from impotent diabetic men,” Anatomical Record, vol. 213, no. 1, pp. 53–62, 1985.
- M. G. Alves, A. D. Martins, L. Rato, P. I. Moreira, S. Socorro, and P. F. Oliveira, “Molecular mechanisms beyond glucose transport in diabetes-related male infertility,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1832, no. 5, pp. 626–635, 2013.
- M. G. Alves, P. F. Oliveira, S. Socorro, and P. I. Moreira, “Impact of diabetes in blood-testis and blood-brain barriers: resemblances and differences,” Current Diabetes Reviews, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 401–412, 2012.
- L. Chen, J. Jiang, C. Cheng et al., “p53 dependent and independent apoptosis induced by lidamycin in human colorectal cancer cells,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 965–973, 2007.
- P. Baldi and A. D. Long, “A Bayesian framework for the analysis of microarray expression data: regularized t-test and statistical inferences of gene changes,” Bioinformatics, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 509–519, 2001.
- “Genetic network analysis in light of massively parallel biological data acquisition,” in Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, Z. Szallasi, Ed., Citeseer, 1999.
- I. Schmitz, S. Kirchhoff, and P. H. Krammer, “Regulation of death receptor-mediated apoptosis pathways,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 32, no. 11-12, pp. 1123–1136, 2000.
- N. Vahsen, C. Candé, J.-J. Brière et al., “AIF deficiency compromises oxidative phosphorylation,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 23, no. 23, pp. 4679–4689, 2004.
- R. F. Epand, J.-C. Martinou, S. Montessuit, R. M. Epand, and C. M. Yip, “Direct evidence for membrane pore formation by the apoptotic protein Bax,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 298, no. 5, pp. 744–749, 2002.
- H. Einat, P. Yuan, and H. K. Manji, “Increased anxiety-like behaviors and mitochondrial dysfunction in mice with targeted mutation of the Bcl-2 gene: further support for the involvement of mitochondrial function in anxiety disorders,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 172–180, 2005.
- C. Köhler, S. Orrenius, and B. Zhivotovsky, “Evaluation of caspase activity in apoptotic cells,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 265, no. 1-2, pp. 97–110, 2002.
- K. Erkkilä, H. Aito, K. Aalto, V. Pentikäinen, and L. Dunkel, “Lactate inhibits germ cell apoptosis in the human testis,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 109–117, 2002.
- M. Tanaka, M. Sawada, S. Yoshida, F. Hanaoka, and T. Marunouchi, “Insulin prevents apoptosis of external granular layer neurons in rat cerebellar slice cultures,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 199, no. 1, pp. 37–40, 1995.
- C. Guillen, A. Bartolomé, C. Nevado, and M. Benito, “Biphasic effect of insulin on beta cell apoptosis depending on glucose deprivation,” FEBS Letters, vol. 582, no. 28, pp. 3855–3860, 2008.
- V. Simões, M. Alves, A. Martins, et al., “Regulation of apoptotic signaling pathways by 5α-dihydrotestosterone and 17β-estradiol in Immature rat Sertoli cells,” The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 135, pp. 15–23, 2013.