ISRN Vascular Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 403130, 5 pages
Risk Stratification by Cardiac Biomarkers following Emergency Gastrointestinal Surgery
1Department of Surgery, Barnet & Chase Farm Hospital NHS Trust, Chase Farm Hospital, The Ridgeway, Enfield, Middlesex EN2 8JL, UK
2Department of Cardiology, Barnet & Chase Farm Hospital NHS Trust, Barnet Hospital, Wellhouse Lane, Barnet, Herts EN5 3DJ, UK
3Department of Biochemistry, Barnet & Chase Farm Hospital NHS Trust, Chase Farm Hospital, The Ridgeway, Enfield, Middlesex EN2 8JL, UK
Received 7 July 2011; Accepted 20 September 2011
Academic Editor: M. Shechter
Copyright © 2011 T. J. Cahill et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. A. Eagle, C. S. Rihal, M. C. Mickel, D. R. Holmes, E. D. Foster, and B. J. Gersh, “Cardiac risk of noncardiac surgery: influence of coronary disease and type of surgery in 3368 operations,” Circulation, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 1882–1887, 1997.
- L. T. Sørensen, A. Malaki, P. Wille-Jørgensen et al., “Risk factors for mortality and postoperative complications after gastrointestinal surgery,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 903–910, 2007.
- J. L. Canivet, P. Damas, C. Desaive, and M. Lamy, “Operative mortality following surgery for colorectal cancer,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 745–747, 1989.
- P. J. Devereaux, L. Goldman, S. Yusuf, K. Gilbert, K. Leslie, and G. H. Guyatt, “Surveillance and prevention of major perioperative ischemic cardiac events in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: a review,” CMAJ, vol. 173, no. 7, pp. 779–788, 2005.
- P. J. Devereaux, D. Xavier, J. Pogue et al., “Characteristics and short-term prognosis of perioperative myocardial infarction in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: a cohort study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 154, no. 8, pp. 523–528, 2011.
- A. S. Maisel, V. Bhalla, and E. Braunwald, “Cardiac biomarkers: a contemporary status report,” Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 24–34, 2006.
- M. Levy, D. Heels-Ansdell, R. Hiralal, et al., “Prognostic value of troponin and creatine kinase muscle and brain isoenzyme measurement after noncardiac surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Anesthesiology, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 796–806, 2011.
- G. Karthikeyan, R. A. Moncur, O. Levine et al., “Is a pre-operative brain natriuretic peptide or n-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide measurement an independent predictor of adverse cardiovascular outcomes within 30 days of noncardiac surgery? A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 17, pp. 1599–1606, 2009.
- A. D. S. Ryding, S. Kumar, A. M. Worthington, and D. Burgess, “Prognostic value of brain natriuretic peptide in noncardiac surgery: a meta-analysis,” Anesthesiology, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 311–319, 2009.
- C. J. Payne, S. C. Gibson, G. Bryce, A. G. Jardine, C. Berry, and D. B. Kingsmore, “B-type natriuretic peptide predicts long-term survival after major non-cardiac surgery,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 144–149, 2011.
- P. Peduzzi, J. Concato, A. R. Feinstein, and T. R. Holford, “Importance of events per independent variable in proportional hazards regression analysis II. Accuracy and precision of regression estimates,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 1503–1510, 1995.
- G. Landesberg, W. S. Beattie, M. Mosseri, A. S. Jaffe, and J. S. Alpert, “Perioperative myocardial infarction,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 22, pp. 2936–2944, 2009.
- A. Izhaki, Y. Slesarenko, M. Boaz, Y. Haimovich, and Y. Rozenman, “Cardiac troponin T: an important predictor of late death and myocardial infarction following hip fracture: an eight-year prospective observational cohort study,” European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 243–249, 2011.
- G. Landesberg, V. Shatz, I. Akopnik et al., “Association of cardiac troponin, CK-MB, and postoperative myocardial ischemia with long-term survival after major vascular surgery,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1547–1554, 2003.
- B. L. Croal, G. S. Hillis, P. H. Gibson et al., “Relationship between postoperative cardiac troponin I levels and outcome of cardiac surgery,” Circulation, vol. 114, no. 14, pp. 1468–1475, 2006.
- A. Oscarsson, M. Fredrikson, M. Sörliden et al., “Predictors of cardiac events in high-risk patients undergoing emergency surgery,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 986–994, 2009.
- B. H. Cuthbertson, A. R. Amiri, B. L. Croal et al., “Utility of B-type natriuretic peptide in predicting perioperative cardiac events in patients undergoing major non-cardiac surgery,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 170–176, 2007.
- E. A. Martinez, C. M. Nass, R. M. Jermyn et al., “Intermittent cardiac troponin-I screening is an effective means of surveillance for a perioperative myocardial infarction,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 577–582, 2005.
- E. R. Mohler, S. Mantha, A. B. Miller et al., “Should troponin and creatinine kinase be routinely measured after vascular surgery?” Vascular Medicine, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 175–181, 2007.
- A. O. Adesanya, J. A. De Lemos, N. B. Greilich, and C. W. Whitten, “Management of perioperative myocardial infarction in noncardiac surgical patients,” Chest, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 584–596, 2006.
- H. H. H. Feringa, J. J. Bax, E. Boersma et al., “High-dose β-blockers and tight heart rate control reduce myocardial ischemia and troponin T release in vascular surgery patients,” Circulation, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. I344–I349, 2006.
- P. Foëx and J. W. Sear, “Challenges of β-blockade in surgical patients,” Anesthesiology, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 767–771, 2010.
- “Effects of extended-release metoprolol succinate in patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery (POISE trial): a randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9627, pp. 1839–1847, 2008.
- J. P. van Kuijk, M. T. Voute, W. J. Flu, et al., “The efficacy and safety of clopidogrel in vascular surgery patients with immediate postoperative asymptomatic troponin T release for the prevention of late cardiac events: Rationale and design of the Dutch Echocardiographic Cardiac Risk Evaluation Applying Stress Echo-VII (DECREASE-VII) trial.,” American Heart Journal, vol. 160, no. 3, pp. 387–393, 2010.