ISRN Vascular Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 827483, 5 pages
Predisposing Factors for Deep Venous Thrombosis in Children and Adolescents with Nephrotic Syndrome
1State University of Campinas, P.O. Box 6111, 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
2Department of Pediatric, State University of Campinas, P.O. Box 6111, 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Received 17 August 2011; Accepted 28 September 2011
Academic Editor: M. Jayachandran
Copyright © 2011 Gabriela de Toledo Passos Candelaria and Vera Maria Santoro Belangero. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. H. Kauffmann, J. J. Veltkamp, N. H. Van Tilburg, and L. A. Van Es, “Acquired antithrombin III deficiency and thrombosis in the nephrotic syndrome,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 607–613, 1978.
- F. Llach, “Hypercoagulability, renal vein thrombosis, and other thrombotic complications of nephrotic syndrome,” Kidney International, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 429–439, 1985.
- R. Singhal and K. S. Brimble, “Thromboembolic complications in the nephrotic syndrome: pathophysiology and clinical management,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 397–407, 2006.
- A. Citak, S. Emre, A. Şirin, I. Bilge, and A. Nayir, “Hemostatic problems and thromboembolic complications in nephrotic children,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 138–142, 2000.
- K. Bramham, B. H. Hunt, and D. Goldsmith, “Thrombophilia of nephrotic syndrome in adults,” Clinical Advances in Hematology and Oncology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 368–372, 2009.
- D. Fabri, V. M. S. Belangero, J. M. Annichino-Bizzacchi, and V. R. Arruda, “Inherited risk factors for thrombophilia in children with nephrotic syndrome,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 157, no. 11, pp. 939–942, 1998.
- B. K. Mahmoodi, M. K. Ten Kate, F. Waanders et al., “High absolute risks and predictors of venous and arterial thromboembolic events in patients with nephrotic syndrome: results from a large retrospective cohort study,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 224–230, 2008.
- M. Andrew, M. David, M. Adams et al., “Venous thromboembolic complications (VTE) in children: first analyses of the Canadian registry of VTE,” Blood, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 1251–1257, 1994.
- H. L. Barnett, C. M. Edelmann, and I. Greifer, “The primary nephrotic syndrome in children. Identification of patients with minimal change nephrotic syndrome from initial response to prednisone. A report of the international study of kidney disease in children,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 561–564, 1981.
- B. A. Kerlin, N. B. Blatt, B. Fuh et al., “Epidemiology and risk factors for thromboembolic complications of childhood nephrotic syndrome: a midwest pediatric nephrology consortium (MWPNC) study,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 155, no. 1, pp. 105–110, 2009.
- M. I. Lilova, I. G. Velkovski, and I. B. Topalov, “Thromboembolic complications in children with nephrotic syndrome in Bulgaria (1974–1996),” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 1-2, pp. 74–78, 2000.
- K. N. Al Fakeeh and S. A. Al Rasheed, “Cerebral venous thrombosis in the nephrotic syndrome,” Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation, vol. 11, pp. 59–63, 2000.
- R. J. Hogg, R. J. Portman, D. Milliner, K. V. Lemley, A. Eddy, and J. Ingelfinger, “Evaluation and management of proteinuria and nephrotic syndrome in children: recommendations from a pediatric nephrology panel established at the National Kidney Foundation Conference on Proteinuria, Albuminuria, Risk, Assessment, Detection, and Elimination (PARADE),” Pediatrics, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 1242–1249, 2000.
- S. C. Cherng, W. S. Huang, Y. F. Wang, S. P. Yang, and Y. F. Lin, “The role of lung scintigraphy in the diagnosis of nephrotic syndrome with pulmonary embolism,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 167–172, 2000.
- O. Mehls, K. Andrassy, and J. Koderisch, “Hemostasis and thromboembolism in children with nephrotic syndrome: differences from adults,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 110, no. 6, pp. 862–867, 1987.
- A. Robert, M. Olmer, and J. Sampol, “Clinical correlation between hypercoagulability and thrombo-embolic phenomena,” Kidney International, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 830–835, 1987.
- J. Fluss, D. Geary, and G. DeVeber, “Cerebral sinovenous thrombosis and idiopathic nephrotic syndrome in childhood: report of four new cases and review of the literature,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 165, no. 10, pp. 709–716, 2006.
- I. Llach, S. Papper, and S. G. Massry, “The clinical spectrum of renal vein thrombosis: acute and chronic,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 819–827, 1980.
- F. Velasquez Forero, N. Garcia Prugue, and N. Ruiz Morales, “Idiopathic nephrotic syndrome of the adult with asymptomatic thrombosis of the renal vein,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 457–462, 1988.
- I. H. Fahal, P. McClelland, C. R. M. Hay, and G. M. Bell, “Arterial thrombosis in the nephrotic syndrome,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 70, no. 830, pp. 905–909, 1994.
- R. Saxena, V. V. Batra, and N. D. Singh, “Prothrombotic factors in nephrotic syndrome,” Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 319–323, 2000.
- N. Öskayin, S. Mir, and K. Kavakli, “Hypercoagulability risk factors in children with minimal change disease and the protective role of protein-C activity,” International Urology and Nephrology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 599–603, 2004.
- M. H. Vaisbich, “Síndrome nefrótica,” in Pronto-Socorro, C. Schvartsman, A. G. Reis, and S. C. L. Farhat, Eds., pp. 573–589, Manole, Barueri, Brazil, 1st edition, 2009.