- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Veterinary Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 378607, 7 pages
An Immunohistochemical Study on the Expression of Sex Steroid Receptors in Canine Mammary Tumors
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Rajiv Gandhi College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Kurumbapet, Puducherry 605 009, India
Received 30 November 2011; Accepted 4 January 2012
Academic Editors: T. Agui and W. C. Wilson
Copyright © 2012 Leena Rajathy Port Louis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. E. Bostock, “Canine and feline mammary neoplasms,” British Veterinary Journal, vol. 142, no. 6, pp. 506–515, 1986.
- E. Hellmén, “Complex mammary tumours in the female dog: a review,” Journal of Dairy Research, vol. 72, special issue, pp. 90–97, 2005.
- J. Martín De Las Mulas, Y. Millán, and R. Dios, “A prospective analysis of immunohistochemically determined estrogen receptor α and progesterone receptor expression and host and tumor factors as predictors of disease-free period in mammary tumors of the dog,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 200–212, 2005.
- A. Nieto, L. Peña, M. D. Pérez-Alenza, M. A. Sánchez, J. M. Flores, and M. Castaño, “Immunohistologic detection of estrogen receptor alpha in canine mammary tumors: clinical and pathologic associations and prognostic significance,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 239–247, 2000.
- F. Millanta, M. Calandrella, G. Bari, M. Niccolini, I. Vannozzi, and A. Poli, “Comparison of steroid receptor expression in normal, dysplastic, and neoplastic canine and feline mammary tissues,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 225–232, 2005.
- R. J. Santen, W. Yue, and J. P. Wang, “Potential mechanisms whereby estrogens induce breast cancer in women,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 7, supplement 2, S.08, 2005.
- S. A. W. Fuqua, “The role of estrogen receptors in breast cancer metastasis,” Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 407–417, 2001.
- K. Sorenmo, “Canine mammary gland tumors,” Veterinary Clinics of North America–Small Animal Practice, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 573–596, 2003.
- J. Martín De Las Mulas, J. Ordás, M. Y. Millán et al., “Immunohistochemical expression of estrogen receptor β in normal and tumoral canine mammary glands,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 269–272, 2004.
- D. M. W. Cork, T. W. J. Lennard, and A. J. Tyson-Capper, “Alternative splicing and the progesterone receptor in breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 3, p. 207, 2008.
- L. G. Luna, Ed., Manual of Histologic Staining Methods of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1968.
- J. F. Hampe and W. Misdorp, “Tumours and dysplasias of the mammary gland,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 50, no. 1-2, pp. 111–133, 1974.
- J. Fowler and L. Cohen John, Eds., Practical Statistics for Field Biology, Wiley & Sons, UK, 1990.
- T. A. H. Jarvinen, M. Pelto-Huikko, K. Holli, and J. Isola, “Estrogen receptor β is coexpressed with ERα and PR and associated with nodal status, grade, and proliferation rate in breast cancer,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 2000.
- J. E. Moulton, “Tumors of the mammary gland,” in Tumors of Domestic Animals, J. E. Moulton, Ed., pp. 518–552, University of California Press, Berkley, Calif, USA, 3rd edition, 1990.
- J. Thuróczy, G. J. K. Reisvaag, E. Perge, A. Tibold, J. Szilágyi, and L. Balogh, “Immunohistochemical detection of progesterone and cellular proliferation in canine mammary tumours,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 137, no. 2-3, pp. 122–129, 2007.
- L. K. Diaz and N. Sneige, “Estrogen receptor analysis for breast cancer: current issues and keys to increasing testing accuracy,” Advances in Anatomic Pathology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 10–19, 2005.
- G. G. J. M. Kuiper, E. Enmark, M. Pelto-Huikko, S. Nilsson, and J. A. Gustafsson, “Cloning of a novel estrogen receptor expressed in rat prostate and ovary,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 5925–5930, 1996.
- W. Shao and M. Brown, “Advances in estrogen receptor biology: prospects for improvements in targeted breast cancer therapy,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 39–52, 2004.
- S. I. Hayashi, H. Eguchi, K. Tanimoto et al., “The expression and function of estrogen receptor α and β in human breast cancer and its clinical application,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 193–202, 2003.
- G. P. Skliris, K. Munot, S. M. Bell et al., “Reduced expression of oestrogen receptor β in invasive breast cancer and its re-expression using DNA methyl transferase inhibitors in a cell line model,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 201, no. 2, pp. 213–220, 2003.
- J. C. Illera, M. D. Pérez-Alenza, A. Nieto et al., “Steroids and receptors in canine mammary cancer,” Steroids, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 541–548, 2006.
- M. Geraldes, F. Gärtner, and F. Schmitt, “Immunohistochemical study of hormonal receptors and cell proliferation in normal canine mammary glands and spontaneous mammary tumours,” Veterinary Record, vol. 146, no. 14, pp. 403–406, 2000.