- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Veterinary Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 862104, 6 pages
Nephroprotective Effect of POLYCAN on Acute Renal Failure Induced by Cisplatin in Rats
1Department of Anatomy and Histology, College of Oriental Medicine, Daegu Haany University, 290 Yugok-dong, Gyeongsan, Gyeongsangbuk-do 712-715, Republic of Korea
2The Medical Research Center for Globalization of Herbal Formulation, Daegu Hanny University, 290 Yugok-dong, Gyeongsan, Gyeongsangbuk-do 712-715, Republic of Korea
3Department of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702-701, Republic of Korea
4Glucan Corporation and Marine Bio-Industry Development Center, Hoenggye-ri 27 Ilgwang-myeon Gijan-gun, Busan 619-912, Republic of Korea
5Department of Veterinary Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702-701, Republic of Korea
Received 9 December 2011; Accepted 31 January 2012
Academic Editor: R. Thanawongnuwech
Copyright © 2012 Sae-Kwang Ku et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Anderson, “Prevention and management of acute renal failure,” Hospital Practice, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 61–75, 1993.
- F. Liu, V. E. Ooi, and S. T. Chang, “Free radical scavenging activities of mushroom polysaccharide extracts,” Life Sciences, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 763–771, 1997.
- P. G. Latha and K. R. Panikkar, “Chemoprotective effect of Ixora coccinea L. flowers on cisplatin induced toxicity in mice,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 364–366, 2001.
- T. Yatsu, M. Aoki, and O. Inagaki, “Preventive effect of zelandopam, a dopamine D1 receptor agonist, on cisplatin-induced acute renal failure in rats,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 461, no. 2-3, pp. 191–195, 2003.
- A. A. Al-Majed, A. R. Abd-Allah, A. C. Al-Rikabi, O. A. Al-Shabanah, and A. M. Mostafa, “Effect of oral administration of Arabic gum on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 146–153, 2003.
- P. Krishan, A. Sharma, and M. Singh, “Effect of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors on ischaemia-reperfusion-induced renal injury in rats,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 1998.
- A. Atessahin, S. Yilmaz, I. Karahan, A. O. Ceribasi, and A. Karaoglu, “Effects of lycopene against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative stress in rats,” Toxicology, vol. 212, no. 2-3, pp. 116–123, 2005.
- G. Şener, H. Toklu, F. Ercan, and G. Erkanli, “Protective effect of β-glucan against oxidative organ injury in a rat model of sepsis,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 1387–1396, 2005.
- S. Bell, V. M. Goldman, B. R. Bistrian, A. H. Arnold, G. Ostroff, and R. A. Forse, “Effect of β-glucan from oats and yeast on serum lipids,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 189–202, 1999.
- D. G. Kang, A. S. Lee, Y. J. Mun et al., “Butein ameliorates renal concentrating ability in cisplatin-induced acute renal failure in rats,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 366–370, 2004.
- Y. Shimeda, Y. Hirotani, Y. Akimoto et al., “Protective effects of capsaicin against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1635–1638, 2005.
- M. Nishida, S. Fujimoto, K. Toiyama, H. Sato, and K. Hamaoka, “Effect of hematopoietic cytokines on renal function in cisplatin-induced ARF in mice,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 324, no. 1, pp. 341–347, 2004.
- Y. K. Kim, T. R. Choi, C. H. Kwon, J. H. Kim, J. S. Woo, and J. S. Jung, “Beneficial effect of Pentoxifylline on cisplatin-induced acute renal failure in rabbits,” Renal Failure, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 909–922, 2003.
- M. A. Mansour, A. M. Mostafa, M. N. Nagi, M. M. Khattab, and O. A. Al-Shabanah, “Protective effect of aminoguanidine against nephrotoxicity induced by cisplatin in normal rats,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 123–128, 2002.
- S. Y. Saad and A. C. Al-Rikabi, “Protection effects of taurine supplementation against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 42–48, 2002.
- H. P. Seo, J. M. Kim, H. D. Shin, et al., “Production of -1,3/1,6-glucan by Aureobasidium pullulans SM-2001,” Korean Journal of Biotechnology Bioengineering, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 376–380, 2002.
- A. A. Tohamy, A. A. El-Ghor, S. M. El-Nahas, and M. M. Noshy, “β-glucan inhibits the genotoxicity of cyclophosphamide, adriamycin and cisplatin,” Mutation Research, vol. 541, no. 1-2, pp. 45–53, 2003.
- D. Wang and S. J. Lippard, “Cellular processing of platinum anticancer drugs,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 307–320, 2005.
- K. Imai, S. Yoshimura, T. Ohtaki, and K. Hashimoto, “One month studies on the subacute toxicity of captopril in the rats,” Journal of Toxicological Sciences, vol. 6, Supplement 2, pp. 189–214, 1981.
- A. Lia, G. Hallmans, A. S. Sandberg, B. Sundberg, P. Aman, and H. Andersson, “Oat β-glucan increases bile acid excretion and a fiber-rich barley fraction increases cholesterol excretion in ileostomy subjects,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 1245–1251, 1995.
- S. Saleh and E. El-Demerdash, “Protective effects of L-arginine against cisplatin-induced renal oxidative stress and toxicity: role of nitric oxide,” Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 91–97, 2005.
- G. Karimi, M. Ramezani, and Z. Tahoonian, “Cisplatin nephrotoxicity and protection by milk thistle extract in rats,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 383–386, 2005.
- G. Ramesh and W. B. Reeves, “p38 MAP kinase inhibition ameliorates cisplatin nephrotoxicity in mice,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 289, no. 1, pp. F166–F174, 2005.
- L. M. Greggi Antunes, J. D. Darin, and L. Bianchi, “Effects of the antioxidants curcumin or selenium on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and lipid peroxidation in rats,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 145–150, 2001.
- M. Fischereder, W. Trick, and K. A. Nath, “Therapeutic strategies in the prevention of acute renal failure,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 41–52, 1994.
- L. Križková, Z. Ďuračková, J. Šandula et al., “Fungal β-(1–3)-D-glucan derivatives exhibit high antioxidative and antimutagenic activity in vitro,” Anticancer Research, vol. 23, no. 3B, pp. 2751–2756, 2003.
- T. Sakemi and N. Baba, “Effects of antihypertensive drugs on the progress of renal failure in hyperlipidemic Imai rats,” Nephron, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 323–329, 1993.
- S. K. Ku, “Anti-mutagenic and anti-septic effects of β-glucan from Aureobasidium pullulans SM-2001,” Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Society, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 75–82, 2009.
- H. D. Kim, H. R. Cho, S. B. Moon et al., “Effect of exopolymers from aureobasidium pullulans on formalin-induced chronic paw inflammation in mice,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1954–1960, 2006.