- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Astronomy
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 471094, 6 pages
Modeling of the Near-Earth Low-Energy Antiproton Fluxes
1Divisão de Astrofísica, Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais (DAS-INPE), 12227-010 São José dos Campos, SP, Brazil
2Department of Cosmogeophysics, Space Research Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences (IKI RAS), Moscow 117997, Russia
Received 27 August 2011; Revised 12 December 2011; Accepted 13 December 2011
Academic Editor: Gary Wegner
Copyright © 2011 U. B. Jayanthi and A. A. Gusev. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. L. Ginzburg and S. I. Syrovatskii, The Origin of Cosmic Rays, Pergamon Press, 1964.
- J. M. Bickford, “Extraction of anrtiparticle concentrated in planetary magnetic fields, NIAC Phase 2, year 1 report,” Draper Laboratory, 2007, http://www.centauri-dreams.org/wp-content/Bickford_Phase_II.pdf.
- R. L. Golden, S. Horan, B. G. Mauger et al., “Evidence for the existence of cosmic-ray antiprotons,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 43, no. 16, pp. 1196–1199, 1979.
- O. Adriani, G. C. Barbarino, G. A. Bazilevskaya et al., “PAMELA results on the cosmic-ray antiproton flux from 60 MeV to 180 GeV in kinetic energy,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 105, no. 12, Article ID 121101, 2010.
- W. R. Webber and M. S. Potgieter, “A new calculation of the cosmic-ray antiproton spectrum in the Galaxy and heliospheric modulation effects on this spectrum using a drift plus wavy current sheet model,” Astrophysical Journal, Part 1, vol. 344, pp. 779–785, 1989.
- T. K. Gaisser and R. K. Schaefer, “Cosmic-ray secondary antiprotons: a closer look,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 394, no. 1, pp. 174–183, 1992.
- M. Simon, A. Molnar, and S. Roesler, “A new calculation of the interstellar secondary cosmic-ray antiprotons,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 499, no. 1, pp. 250–257, 1998.
- A. V. Dementyev and N. M. Sobolevsky, “SHIELD—universal Monte Carlo hadron transport code: scope and applications,” Radiation Measurements, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 553–557, 1999.
- A. S. Botvina, A. V. Dementyev, O. N. Smirnova, N. M. Sobolevsky, and V. D. Toneev, “MSDM—multy stage dynamical model,” in International Codes and Model Intercomparison for Intermediate Energy Activation Yields, R. Michel and P. Nagel, Eds., NSC/DOC(97)-1, NEA OECD, Paris, France, 1997.
- V. D. Toneev and K. K. Gudima, “Particle emission in light and heavy ion reactions,” Nuclear Physics, Section A, vol. 400, no. C, pp. 173–189, 1983.
- P. Danielewicz and G. F. Bertsch, “Production of deuterons and pions in a transport model of energetic heavy-ion reactions,” Nuclear Physics, Section A, vol. 533, no. 4, pp. 712–748, 1991.
- L. C. Tan and L. K. Ng, “Parametrization of invariant cross section in p-p collisions using a new scaling variable,” Physical Review D, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1179–1182, 1982.
- S. Haino, T. Sanuki, K. Abe et al., “Measurements of primary and atmospheric cosmic-ray spectra with the BESS-TeV spectrometer,” Physics Letters, Section B, vol. 594, no. 1-2, pp. 35–46, 2004.
- F. C. Jones, A. Lukasiak, V. Ptuskin, and W. Webber, “The modified weighted slab technique: models and results,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 547, no. 1, pp. 264–271, 2001.
- PSTAR,NIST, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 2010, http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Star/Text/contents.html.
- L. J. Gleeson and W. I. Axford, “Cosmic rays in the interplanetary medium,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 149, p. L115, 1967.
- J. S. Perko, “Solar modulation of Galactic antiprotons,” Astronomy and Astrophysics, vol. 184, pp. 119–121, 1987.
- G. Boella, M. Gervasi, M. A. C. Potenza, P. G. Rancoita, and I. Usoskin, “Modulated antiproton fluxes for interstellar production models,” Astroparticle Physics, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 261–267, 1998.
- S. Orito, T. Maeno, H. Matsunaga et al., “Precision measurement of cosmic-ray antiproton spectrum,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 1078–1081, 2000.
- Y. Asaoka, Y. Shikaze, K. Abe et al., “Measurements of cosmic-ray low-energy antiproton and proton spectra in a transient period of solar field reversal,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 511011–511014, 2002.
- S. Haino, K. Abe, H. Fuke, et al., “Measurement of cosmic rays antiproton spectrum with bess-2002,” in Proceedings of the 29th International Cosmic Ray Conference, Pune, India, 2005.
- K. Abe, H. Fuke, S. Haino, et al., “Measurement of cosmic-ray antiproton spectrum at solar minimum with a long-duration balloon flight in Antarctica,” arXiv:1107.6000v1, submitted to Physical Review Letters.
- A. A. Gusev, U. B. Jayanthi, K. T. Choque, G. I. Pugacheva, N. Schuch, and W. N. Spjeldvik, “Antiproton radiation belt produced by cosmic rays in the Earth's magnetosphere,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1161–1164, 2003.
- A. Gusev, G. Pugacheva, V. Pankov et al., “Antiparticle content in the magnetosphere,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1550–1555, 2008.
- M. Walt, Introduction to Geomagnetically Trapped Radiation, Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK, 1994.
- A. E. Hedin, N. W. Spencer, M. A. Biondi, R. G. Burnside, G. Hernandez, and R. M. Johnson, “Revised global model of thermosphere winds using satellite and ground-based observations,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 96, pp. 7657–7688, 1991.
- J. Bickford, W. Schmitt, W. Spjeldvik, A. Gusev, G. Pugacheva, and I. Martin, “Natural sources of antiparticles in the solar system and the feasibility of extraction for high delta-V space propulsion,” in The New Trends in Astrodynamics and Applications III, vol. 886 of Proceedings of AIP, pp. 187–203, Princeton, NJ, USA, 2007.
- O. Adriani, G. C. Barbarino, G. A. Bazilevskaya et al., “The discovery of geomagnetically trapped cosmic-ray antiprotons,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 737, no. 2, article L29, 2011.
- R. S. Selesnick, M. D. Looper, R. A. Mewaldt, and A. W. Labrador, “Geomagnetically trapped antiprotons,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 34, no. 20, Article ID L20104, 2007.