- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Astronomy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 735879, 9 pages
Rapid Disappearance of Penumbra-Like Features near a Flaring Polarity Inversion Line: The Hinode Observations
1Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Koramangala, Bangalore 560034, India
2Udaipur Solar Observatory, Dewali, Badi Road, Udaipur 313001, India
3National Solar Observatory, 950 N Cherry Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA
Received 13 January 2012; Revised 2 March 2012; Accepted 3 March 2012
Academic Editor: J. Javaraiah
Copyright © 2012 B. Ravindra and Sanjay Gosain. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. K. Solanki and C. A. P. Montavon, “Uncombed fields as the source of the broad-band circular polarization of sunspots,” Astronomy and Astrophysics, vol. 275, p. 283, 1993.
- M. J. Tildesley and N. O. Weiss, “On the origin of filamentary structure in sunspot penumbrae: non-linear results,” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol. 350, no. 2, pp. 657–670, 2004.
- K. D. Leka and A. Skumanich, “The evolution of pores and the development of penumbrae,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 507, no. 1, pp. 454–469, 1998.
- J. Evershed, “Radial movement in sun-spots,” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol. 69, p. 454, 1909.
- K. Harvey and J. Harvey, “Observations of moving magnetic features near sunspots,” Solar Physics, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 61–71, 1973.
- V. Martinez Pillet, “Decay of sunspots,” Astronomische Nachrichten, vol. 323, no. 3-4, pp. 342–348, 2002.
- L. R. Bellot Rubio, A. Tritschler, and V. Martínez Pillet, “Spectropolarimetry of a decaying sunspot penumbra,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 676, no. 1, pp. 698–703, 2008.
- H. Wang, C. Liu, J. Qiu, N. Deng, P. R. Goode, and C. Denker, “Rapid penumbral decay following three X-class solar flares,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 601, no. 2, pp. L195–L198, 2004.
- J. J. Sudol and J. W. Harvey, “Longitudinal magnetic field changes accompanying solar flares,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 635, no. 1, pp. 647–658, 2005.
- S. Gosain, “Evidence for Collapsing Fields in the Corona and Photosphere during the 2011 February 15 X2.2 Flare: SDO/AIA and HMI Observations,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 749, no. 1, pp. 85–94, 2012.
- K. Tanaka, “Measurement and analysis of magnetic field variation during a class 2b flare,” Solar Physics, vol. 58, pp. 149–163, 1978.
- A. M. Title, T. D. Tarbell, K. P. Topka, S. H. Ferguson, and R. A. Shine, “Statistical properties of solar granulation derived from the SOUP instrument on Spacelab 2,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 336, pp. 475–494, 1989.
- K. Ichimoto, B. Lites, D. Elmore et al., “Polarization calibration of the solar optical telescope onboard hinode,” Solar Physics, vol. 249, no. 2, pp. 233–261, 2008.
- A. Skumanich and B. W. Lites, “Stokes profile analysis and vector magnetic-fields .1. Inversion of photospheric lines,” The Astrophysical Journal, vol. 322, no. 1, pp. 473–482, 1987.
- B. W. Lites and A. Skumanich, “Stokes profile analysis and vector magnetic fields. V. The magnetic field structure of large sunspots observed with stokes II,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 747–760, 1990.
- T. R. Metcalf, “Resolving the 180-degree ambiguity in vector magnetic field measurements: the minimum energy solution,” Solar Physics, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 235–242, 1994.
- K. D. Leka, G. Barnes, and A. Crouch, “An Automated Ambiguity-Resolution Code for Hinode/SP Vector Magnetic Field Data,” in 2nd Hinode Science Meeting: Beyond Discovery-Toward Understanding, B. Lites, M. Cheung, T. Magara, J. Mariska, and K. Reeves, Eds., ASP Conf. Ser. 415, p. 365, 2009.
- P. Venkatakrishnan, M. J. Hagyard, and D. H. Hathaway, “Evaluation of magnetic shear in off-disk center active regions,” Solar Physics, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 215–226, 1989.
- A. K. Srivastava, T. V. Zaqarashvili, P. Kumar, and M. L. Khodachenko, “Observation of kink instability during small B5.0 solar flare on 2007 June 4,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 715, no. 1, pp. 292–299, 2010.
- P. Kumar, A. K. Srivastava, B. Filippov, and W. Uddin, “Multiwavelength Study of the M8.9/3B Solar Flare from AR NOAA 10960,” Solar Physics, vol. 266, no. 1, pp. 39–58, 2010.
- B. Ravindra, “Moving magnetic features in and out of penumbral filaments,” Solar Physics, vol. 237, no. 2, pp. 297–319, 2006.
- S. Vargas Domínguez, J. A. Bonet, V. Martínez Pillet, Y. Katsukawa, Y. Kitakoshi, and L. Rouppe Van Der Voort, “On the moat-penumbra relation,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 660, no. 2, pp. L165–L168, 2007.
- L. J. November and G. W. Simon, “Precise proper-motion measurement of solar granulation,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 333, pp. 427–442, 1988.
- S. Masuda, T. Kosugi, and H. S. Hudson, “A hard X-ray two-ribbon flare observed with YOHKOH/HXT,” Solar Physics, vol. 204, no. 1-2, pp. 57–69, 2001.
- I. G. Hannah, S. Krucker, H. S. Hudson, S. Christe, and R. P. Lin, “An intriguing solar microflare observed with RHESSI, Hinode, and TRACE,” Astronomy and Astrophysics, vol. 481, no. 1, pp. L45–L48, 2008.
- S. A. Matthews, S. Zharkov, and V. V. Zharkova, “Anatomy of a solar flare: measurements of the 2006 December 14 X-class Flare with GONG, Hinode, and RHESSI,” The Astrophysical Journal, vol. 739, no. 2, p. 71, 2011.
- K. Watanabe, S. Krucker, H. Hudson, T. Shimizu, S. Masuda, and K. Ichimoto, “G-band and hard x-ray emissions of the 2006 December 14 flare observed by hinode/sot and Rhessi,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 715, no. 1, pp. 651–655, 2010.