- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Astronomy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 834247, 9 pages
New Insights on Cosmic Ray Modulation through a Joint Use of Nonstationary Data-Processing Methods
1Dipartimento di Fisica, Università della Calabria, 87036 Rende (CS), Italy
2IAPS, INAF, Via del Fosso del Cavaliere 100, 00133 Roma, Italy
3Liquid Crystal Laboratory, INFM, Ponte P. Bucci Cubo 33B, 87036 Rende (CS), Italy
Received 3 August 2012; Accepted 31 October 2012
Academic Editor: Badruddin
Copyright © 2012 A. Vecchio et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. E. Forbush, “World-wide cosmic ray variations, 1937–1952,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 59, p. 525, 1954.
- S. E. Forbush, “Time variations of cosmic rays,” in Handbuch der Physik, S. Flugge, Ed., vol. 49, p. 159, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1966.
- V. F. Hess, Zeitschrift Für Physik, vol. 13, p. 1084, 1912.
- M. Storini, “Cosmic rays for solar-terrestrial physics,” Nuovo Cimento della Societa Italiana di Fisica C, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 871–880, 1997.
- I. Dauberchies, “The wavelet transform, time-frequency localization and signal analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 36, pp. 961–1005, 1990.
- P. Kumar and E. Foufoula-Georgiou, “Wavelet analysis for geophysical applications,” Reviews of Geophysics, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 385–412, 1997.
- K. Kudela, S. Yasue, K. Munakata, and P. Bobik, “cosmicray variability at different scales: a wavelet approach,” in Proceedings of the 26th International Cosmicray Conference, vol. 7, pp. 163–166, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, August 1999.
- M. Laurenza, S. Giangravé, M. Storini, et al., in Proceedings of the 30th International Cosmicray Conference. July 3–11, 2007, Mrida, Yucatn, Mexico, R. Caballero, J. C. D'Olivo, G. Medina-Tanco, L. Nellen, F. A. Snchez, and J. F. Valds-Galicia, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 513–516, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico City, Mexico, 2008.
- K. Kudela, J. Rybak, A. Antalovà, and M. Storini, “Time evolution of low-frequency periodicities in cosmic ray intensity,” Solar Physics, vol. 205, pp. 165–175, 2002.
- C. Kato, K. Munakata, S. Yasue, K. Inoue, and F. B. McDonald, “A ~1.7-year quasi-periodicity in cosmic ray intensity variation observed in the outer heliosphere,” Journal of Geophysical Research A, vol. 108, no. 10, Article ID 1367, 7 pages, 2003.
- J. Rybàk, A. Antalovà, and M. Storini, “The wavelet analysis of the solar and cosmic-ray data,” Space Science Reviews, vol. 97, no. 1–4, pp. 359–362, 2001.
- J. F. Valdés-Galicia and V. M. Velasco, “Variations of mid-term periodicities in solar activity physical phenomena,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 41, pp. 297–305, 2008.
- M. Laurenza and M. Storini, Memorie Della Societa Astronomica Italiana, vol. 9, p. 109, 2006.
- M. Laurenza and M. Storini, in Proceedings of the 31st International Cosmicray Conference, 2009, paper ID: 00475, http://icrc2009.uni.lodz.pl.
- N. E. Huang, Z. Shen, S. R. Long, et al., “The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for nonlinear and non-stationary time series analysis,” Royal Society of London Proceedings A, vol. 454, p. 903, 1998.
- P. Flandrin, G. Rilling, and P. Gonçalvés, “Empirical mode decomposition as a filter bank,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 112–114, 2004.
- J. Terradas, R. Oliver, and J. L. Ballester, “Application of statistical techniques to the analysis of solar coronal oscillations,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 614, no. 1, pp. 435–447, 2004.
- A. Vecchio, M. Laurenza, V. Carbone, and M. Storini, “Quasi-biennial modulation of solar neutrino flux and solar and galactic cosmic rays by solar cyclic activity,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 709, no. 1, pp. L1–L5, 2010.
- A. Vecchio, M. Laurenza, D. Meduri, V. Carbone, and M. Storini, “The dynamics of the solar magnetic field: polarity reversals, butterfly diagram, and quasi-biennial oscillations,” Astrophysical Journal, vol. 749, no. 1, Article ID 27, 2012.
- B. L. Barnhart and W. E. Eichinger, “Analysis of sunspot variability using the hilbert—huang transform,” Solar Physics, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 439–449, 2011.
- M. Laurenza, A. Vecchio, V. Carbone, and M. Storini, “Quasi-biennial modulation of galactic cosmic rays,” The Astrophysical Journal, vol. 749, p. 167, 2012.
- C. Torrence and G. P. Compo, “A practical guide to wavelet analysis,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 61–78, 1998.
- D. A. T. Cummings, R. A. Irizarry, N. E. Huang et al., “Travelling waves in the occurrence of dengue haemorrhagic fever in Thailand,” Nature, vol. 427, no. 6972, pp. 344–347, 2004.
- Z. Wu and N. E. Huang, “A study of the characteristics of white noise using the empirical mode decomposition method,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 460, no. 2046, pp. 1597–1611, 2004.
- E. E. Benevolenskaya, “A model of the double magnetic cycle of the sun,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 509, no. 1, pp. L49–L52, 1998.
- G. A. Bazilevskaya, M. B. Krainev, V. S. Makhmutov, E. O. Flückiger, A. I. Sladkova, and M. Storini, “Structure of the maximum phase of solar cycles 21 and 22,” Solar Physics, vol. 197, no. 1, pp. 157–174, 2000.
- G. A. Bazilevskaya, V. S. Makhmutov, and A. I. Sladkova, “Gnevyshev gap effects in solar energetic particle activity,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 484–488, 2006.
- A. Vecchio and V. Carbone, “Spatio-temporal analysis of solar activity: main periodicities and period length variations,” Astronomy and Astrophysics, vol. 502, no. 3, pp. 981–987, 2009.
- E. Forgàcs-Dajka and T. Borkovits, “Searching for mid-term variations in different aspects of solar activity—looking for probable common origins and studying temporal variations of magnetic polarities,” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol. 374, pp. 282–291, 2007.
- G. Wibberenz and H. V. Cane, “Simple analytical solutions for propagating diffusive barriers and application to the 1974 minicycle,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 105, no. 8, p. 18315, 2000.
- G. Wibberenz, H. V. Cane, I. G. Richardson, and T. T. von Rosevinge, “The influence of tilt angle and magnetic field variations on cosmic ray modulation,” Space Science Reviews, vol. 97, pp. 343–347, 2001.
- M. Storini, G. A. Bazilevskaya, E. O. Flückiger, M. B. Krainev, V. S. Makhmutov, and A. I. Sladkova, “The Gnevyshev gap: a review for space weather,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 895–900, 2003.
- M. Storini, “Testing solar activity features during the descending phase of sunspot cycle 22,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 51–55, 1995.
- F. Feminella and M. Storini, “Large-scale dynamical phenomena during solar activity cycles,” Astronomy and Astrophysics, vol. 322, no. 1, pp. 311–319, 1997.
- L. F. Burlaga, F. B. McDonald, and N. F. Ness, “Cosmic ray modulation and the distant heliospheric magnetic field: voyager 1 and 2 observations from 1986 to 1989,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 98, no. 1, p. 1, 1993.
- M. S. Potgieter and J. A. le Roux, “The long-term heliospheric modulation of galactic cosmic rays according to a time-dependent drift model with merged interaction regions,” The Astrophysical Journal, vol. 423, p. 817, 1994.
- I. Sabbah and M. Rybanský, “Galactic cosmic ray modulation during the last five solar cycles,” Journal of Geophysical Research A, vol. 111, Article ID A01105, 2006.
- M. Singh, Y. P. Singh, and Badruddin, “Solar modulation of galactic cosmic rays during the last five solar cycles,” Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, vol. 70, pp. 169–183, 2008.
- W. R. Webber, “Voyager measurements of galactic cosmic rays and implications for modulation in the heliosheath and beyond,” in Proceedings of the 5th Annual International Astrophysics Conference, vol. 858, pp. 135–140, March 2006.
- M. S. Potgieter, “Challenges to cosmic ray modeling: from beyond the solar wind termination shock,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 41, pp. 245–458, 2008.
- N. Gopalswamy, S. Nunes, S. Yashiro, and R. A. Howard, “Variability of solar eruptions during cycle 23,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 391–396, 2004.
- C. Plainaki, A. Belov, E. Eroshenko, V. Kurt, H. Mavromichalaki, and V. Yanke, “Unexpected burst of solar activity recorded by neutron monitors during October-November 2003,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 691–696, 2005.
- J. D. Richardson, C. Wang, J. C. Kasper, and Y. Liu, “Propagation of the October/November 2003 CMEs through the heliosphere,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 32, Article ID L03S03, 4 pages, 2005.
- D. S. Intriligator, W. Sun, M. Dryer, C. D. Fry, C. Deehr, and J. Intriligator, “From the Sun to the outer heliosphere: Modeling and analyses of the interplanetary propagation of the October/November (Halloween) 2003 solar events,” Journal of Geophysical Research A, vol. 110, no. 9, Article ID A09S10, 2005.
- E. J. Smith, Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 95, p. 731, 1990.
- J. R. Jokipii, E. H. Levy, and W. B. Hubbard, “Effects of particle drift on cosmic-ray transport. I—general properties, application to solar modulation,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 213, pp. 861–868, 1977.
- M. S. Potgieter and J. A. le Roux, “The simulated features of heliospheric cosmic-ray modulation with a time-dependent drift model. I—general effects of the changing neutral sheet over the period 1985–1990,” The Astrophysical Journal, vol. 386, pp. 336–346, 1992.
- J. A. le Roux and M. S. Potgieter, “The simulated features of heliospheric cosmic-ray modulation with a time-dependent drift model. II—on the energy dependence of the onset of new modulation in 1987,” The Astrophysical Journal, vol. 390, pp. 661–667, 1992.
- J. A. le Roux and M. S. Potgieter, “The simulated features of heliospheric cosmic-ray modulation with a time-dependent drift model. IV—the role of heliospheric neutral sheet deformation,” The Astrophysical Journal, vol. 397, pp. 686–693, 1992.
- S. E. S. Ferreira and M. S. Potgieter, Advances in Space Research, vol. 32, p. 2003, 2004.
- S. E. S. Ferreira and M. S. Potgieter, “Long-term cosmic-ray modulation in the heliosphere,” The Astrophysical Journal, vol. 603, p. 744, 2004.
- R. Manuel, S. E. S. Ferreira, and M. S. Potgieter, “Cosmic ray modulation in the outer heliosphere: predictions for cosmic ray intensities up to the heliopause along Voyager 1 and 2 trajectories,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 48, pp. 874–883, 2011.
- J. T. Hoeksema, J. M. Wilcox, and P. H. Scherrer, “Structure of the heliospheric current sheet in the early portion of Sunspot Cycle 21,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 87, p. 10331, 1982.
- J. R. Jokipii and B. Thomas, “Effects of drift on the transport of cosmic rays. IV—modulation by a wavy interplanetary current sheet,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 243, pp. 1115–1122, 1981.
- K. Kota and J. R. Jokipii, “Effects of drift on the transport of cosmic rays. VI—a three-dimensional model including diffusion,” The Astrophysical Journal, vol. 265, pp. 573–581, 1983.
- E. W. Cliver and A. G. Ling, “22 Year patterns in the relationship of sunspot number and tilt angle to cosmic-ray intensity,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 551, no. 2, pp. L189–L192, 2001.