- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Astronomy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 461717, 20 pages
Cosmic Ray Investigation in the Stratosphere and Space: Results from Instruments on Russian Satellites and Balloons
1Skobeltsyn Institute of Nuclear Physics, Lomonosov Moscow State University, 119991 Moscow, Russia
2Institute of Experimental Physics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Watsonova 47, 04001 Kosice, Slovakia
Received 31 August 2012; Accepted 26 November 2012
Academic Editor: Badruddin
Copyright © 2013 Yu. I. Logachev et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Elster and H. Geitel, “Weitere Versuche über die Elektrizitäts zerztrehung in abgeschlossenen Luftmengen,” Zeitschrift fur Physik, vol. 2, p. 560, 1900.
- C. T. R. Wilson, “On the leakage of electricity in the dust-free air,” Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, vol. 11, p. 32, 1900.
- C. T. R. Wilson, “On the ionization of atmospheric air,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, vol. 68, pp. 151–161, 1901.
- V. F. Hess, “Über beobachtungen der durchdringenden Strahlung bei sieben Freiballonfahrten,” Zeitschrift fur Physik, vol. 13, pp. 1084–1091, 1912.
- R. A. Millikan and I. S. Bowen, “Penetrating radiation at high altitudes,” Proceedings of the American Physical Society, p. 198, 1923.
- R. A. Millikan and R. M. Otis, “High frequency rays of cosmic origin II. Mountain peak and airplane observations,” Physical Review, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 645–658, 1926.
- L. Myssowsky and L. Tuwim, “Unregelmässige Intensitätschwankungen der Höhenstrahlung in geringer Seehöhe,” Zeitschrift fur Physik, vol. 39, no. 2-3, pp. 146–150, 1926.
- D. Skobelzyn, “Die Intensitätsverteilung in dem Spektrum der γ-Strahlen von Ra C,” Zeitschrift fur Physik, vol. 43, no. 5-6, pp. 354–378, 1927.
- L. Myssowsky and L. Tuwim, “Versuche über die Absorption der Höhenstrahlung im Wasser,” Zeitschrift für Physik, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 299–303, 1926.
- R. A. Millikan and G. H. Cameron, “High altitude tests on the geographical, directional, and spectral distribution of cosmic rays,” Physical Review, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 163–173, 1928.
- R. A. Millikan and G. H. Cameron, “High frequency rays of cosmic origin III. Measurements in snow-fed lakes at high altitudes,” Physical Review, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 851–868, 1926.
- B. B. Rossi, Cosmic Rays, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1964.
- D. Skobelzyn, “Über eine neue Art sehr schneller β-Strahlen,” Zeitschrift für Physik, vol. 54, no. 9-10, pp. 686–702, 1929.
- P. M. S. Blackett and G. Occhialini, “Some photographs of the tracks of penetrating radiation,” Proceedings of the Royal Society, vol. 139, pp. 699–726, 1933.
- S. Vebnoff, “Radio-transmission of cosmic ray data from the stratosphere,” Nature, vol. 135, no. 3426, pp. 1072–1073, 1935.
- S. N. Vernov, “On the study of cosmic rays at the great altitudes,” Physical Review, vol. 46, p. 822, 1934.
- S. N. Vernov and A. V. Mironov, “Investigation of cosmic rays in stratosphere near the magnetic equator,” DAN (Reports of the Academy of Sciences), vol. 23, pp. 138–140, 1939.
- I. S. Bowen, R. A. Millikan, and H. V. Neher, “New light on the nature and origin of the incoming cosmic rays,” Physical Review, vol. 53, pp. 217–223, 1938.
- M. Schein, W. P. Jesse, and E. O. Wollan, “The nature of the primary cosmic radiation and the origin of the mesotron,” Physical Review, vol. 59, no. 7, p. 615, 1941.
- S. N. Vernov, N. L. Grigorov, N. A. Dobrotin, et al., “Estimation of primary cosmic ray particle charge by measurements of thr azimuthal asimmetry in stratosphere near the equator,” DAN, (Reports of the Academy of Sciences), vol. 68, pp. 235–255, 1949.
- S. N. Vernov, I. Yu. Logachev, N. L. Grigorov, and A. E. Chudakov, “Study of cosmic radiation on board 2 AES,” DAN, (Reports of the Academy of Sciences), vol. 120, pp. 1231–1233, 1958.
- S. N. Vernov, “Chudakov A.E Study of cosmic rays by rockets and satellites in USSR,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Peaceful Exploration of Nuclear Energy, vol. 1, pp. 267–271, Atomizdat, 1957.
- B. E. Chertok, Rockets and Peoples, vol. 4, Lunar Race PTCoft, Moscow, Russia, 2007.
- P. V. Vakulov, E. V. Gorchakov, and Yu. I. Logachev, “Earth radiation belts, study by soviet artificial satellites and space rockets in 1957–1959,” Kosmicheskie Luchi, no. 6, pp. 1–115, 1965.
- S. N. Vernov, P. V. Vakulov, E. V. Gorchakov, et al., “Measurements of the penetrating radiation on the Moon surface,” DAN, (Reports of the Academy of Sciences), vol. 169, no. 5, pp. 1044–1047, 1966.
- N. L. Grigorov, V. S. Murzin, and I. D. Rapoport, “Method of the measurements of particles with energy higher than 1011eV,” Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics, vol. 34, no. 2, p. 506, 1958.
- N. L. Grigorov, V. E. Nesterov, and I. D. Rapoport, “Study of the energetic spectra and composition of primary cosmic rays of high and extrahigh energy range by ISZ Proton 1 and 2,” Cosmic Research, vol. 5, no. 3, p. 395, 1967.
- V. I. Zatsepin, J. H. Adams, H. S. Ahn, et al., “Rigidity spectra of protons and helium as measured in the first flight of the ATIC experiment,” in Proceedings of the 28th International Cosmic Ray Conference (ICRC '03), vol. 4, p. 1829, 2003.
- T. G. Guzik, J. H. Adams, H. S. Ahn, et al., “The energy spectra of protons and helium measured with the ATIC experiment,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1763–1770, 2004.
- G. K. Garipov, B. A. Khrenov, M. I. Panasyuk et al., “UV radiation from the atmosphere: results of the MSU “tatiana” satellite measurements,” Astroparticle Physics, vol. 24, no. 4-5, pp. 400–408, 2005.
- I. P. Ivanenko, V. Y. Shestoperov, L. O. Chikova, et al., “Energy spectrun of cosmic ray different components with energies higher than 2 TeV measured by SOKOL device,” Izvestiya Rossiiskoi Akademii Nauk, Seriya Fizicheskaya, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 76–79, 1993.
- N. L. Grigorov and E. V. Tolstaya, “On the direct cosmic ray measurements up to 1016 eV on low weight satellite,” Vestnik of MSU, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 27–30, 1997.
- V. Bonvicini, G. Barbiellini, M. Boezio, et al., “The PAMELA experiment in space,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, vol. 461, pp. 262–268, 2001.
- O. Adriani, G. C. Barbarino, G. A. Bazilevskaya et al., “PAMELA measurements of cosmic-ray proton and helium spectra,” Science, vol. 332, no. 6025, pp. 69–72, 2011.
- M. Ackermann, M. Ajello, A. Allafort, et al., “Measurement of separate cosmic-ray electron and positron spectra with the Fermi Large Area Telescope,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 108, Article ID 011103, 2012.
- K. Kudela, “On energetic particles in space,” Acta Physica Slovaca, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 537–652, 2009.
- K. Kudela, “Variability of low energy cosmic rays near earth,” in Exploring the Solar Wind, M. Lazar, Ed., InTech, 2012.
- L. I. Dorman, Cosmic Ray Variations, Moscow Neutron Monitor, Moscow, Russia, 1957.
- J. W. Bieber, E. Eroshenko, P. Evenson, E. O. Flückiger, and R. Kallenbach, “Cosmic rays and earth,” Space Science Reviews, vol. 93, no. 1-2, pp. 1–409, 2000.
- E. Yu. Efimov, G. E. Kocharov, and K. Kudela, “On the solar neutrons observation on high mountain neutron monitor,” in Proceedings of the 18th International Cosmic Ray Conference (ICRC '83), vol. 10, pp. 276–278, Bangalore, India, 1983.
- H. Debrunner, E. O. Flückiger, E. L. Chupp, and D. J. Forrest, “The solar cosmic ray neutron event on June 3, 1982,” in Proceedings of the 18th International Cosmic Ray Conference (ICRC '83), vol. 4, pp. 75–78, Bangalore, India, 1983.
- K. Kudela and R. Langer, “Cosmic ray measurements in High Tatra mountains: 1957–2007,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 1166–1172, 2009.
- G. A. Bazilevskaya, V. S. Makhmutov, Y. I. Stozhkov, A. K. Svirzhevskaya, and N. S. Svirzhevsky, “Solar proton events recorded in the stratosphere during cosmic ray balloon observations in 1957–2008,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 603–613, 2010.
- Y. I. Stozhkov, N. S. Svirzhevsky, G. A. Bazilevskaya, et al., “Cosmic rays in the stratosphere in 2008–2010,” Astrophysics and Space Sciences Transactions, vol. 7, pp. 379–382, 2011.
- G. A. Bazilevskaya, M. B. Krainev, V. S. Makhmutov, et al., “Solar Proton Events registered at stratosphere experiment of FIAN,” Geomagnetism and Aeronomie, vol. 43, pp. 442–452, 2003.
- Problems of Solar Activity and PROGNOZ Space System, Nauka, Moscow, Russia, 1977.
- Problems of Solar Activity and PROGNOZ Space System, Nauka, Moscow, Russia, 1984.
- M. Zeldovich, V. G. Kurt, I. Yu. Logachev, et al., “Discovery at 1 a.u. of proton fluxes Ep MeV associated with small solar flares,” Cosmic Research, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 485–488, 1977.
- V. G. Kurt, Y. I. Logachev, and N. F. Pissarenko, “Coherent propagation of non-relativistic solar electrons,” Solar Physics, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 157–178, 1977.
- N. N. Volodichev, G. Y. Kolesov, A. N. Podorolsky, I. A. Savenko, and A. A. Suslov, “Collimated propagation of low energy protons from solar flares,” in Proceedings of the 9th Leningrad Seminar on Space Physics, pp. 324–329, Leningrad, Russia, 1978.
- S. N. Vernov, N. L. Grigorov, O. B. Likin, et al., “Cosmic ray study by PROGNOZ Satellite,” Izvestiya Akademii Nauk, Seriya Fizicheskaya, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1138–1143, 1973.
- M. A. Forman, “Convection- dominated transport of solar cosmic rays,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 759–767, 1971.
- J. R. Jokipii, “Propagation of solar cosmic rays in the solar wind,” in Solar Activity Observations and Predictions, P. S. McIntosh and M. Dryer, Eds., MIT press, 1972.
- K. G. McCracken, U. R. Rao, R. P. Bukata, and E. P. Keath, “The decay phase of solar flare events,” Solar Physics, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 100–132, 1971.
- A. J. Owens, “Interplanetary diffusion of cosmic rays: a new approximate analytic solution,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 84, no. 8, pp. 4451–4456, 1979.
- E. I. Daibog, V. G. Stolpovskii, G. Erdos, et al., “Decay phases in gradual and impulsive solar energetic particle events,” in Proceedings of the 27th International Cosmic Ray Conference (ICRC '01), vol. 3631, 2001.
- E. I. Daibog, Y. I. Logachev, S. Kahler, and K. Kecskeméty, “Statistical properties of SEP event flux declines,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2655–2660, 2003.
- M. A. Zeldovich, B. M. Kuzhevsky, and Yu. I. Logachev, “Low energy proton fluxes from non- flare solar active regions,” in Problems of Solar Activity and PROGNOZ Space System, pp. 110–124, Nauka, Moscow, Russia, 1977.
- M. A. Zeldovich and I. Yu. Logachev, “Recurrent increases of low-energy particle flux measured on ISZ Prognoz-3,” Cosmic Research, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 53–65, 1981.
- Yu. I. Logachev, M. A. Zeldovich, V. Stolpovsky, et al., “Recurrent increases of energetic particle flux on decrease phase of 21st solar cycle,” Cosmic Research, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 368–377, 1992.
- Yu. I. Logachev, M. A. Zeldovich, and K. Kecskeméty, “Spatial regions with low level 1–10 Mev proton fluxes during quiet time in the inner heliosphere down to 10 a.u.,” Izvestiya Akademii, Seriya Fizicheskaya, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 364–366, 2001.
- A. I. Sladkova, “Investigation of the radiation invironment on PROGNOZ stations,” in Problems of Solar Activity and PROGNOZ Space System, pp. 149–155, Nauka, Moscow, Russia, 1977.
- K. Kudela, J. Baláž, and I. Strhárský, “Energetic particle monitoring in space: three-decades of experience at IEP SAS,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Recent Advances in Space Technologies (RAST '03), pp. 182–187, 2003.
- K. Kudela and M. Slivka, “Space physics in Košice: history, present status, and benefit of EU funds for the future,” Contributions of the Astronomical Observatory Skalnate Pleso, vol. 40, pp. 142–150, 2010.
- Y. E. Efimov, A. A. Gusev, K. Kudela, L. Just, and G. I. Pugacheva, “Spatial distribution of albedo particles on altitudes ~500 km,” Czechoslovak Journal of Physics, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1371–1381, 1985.
- S. N. Kuznetsov, K. Kudela, I. N. Myagkova, A. N. Podorolsky, S. P. Ryumin, and B. Y. Yushkov, “First experience with SONG-M measurements on board CORONAS-F satellite,” Indian Journal of Radio and Space Physics, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 353–357, 2004.
- S. N. Kuznetsov, V. G. Kurt, B. Y. Yushkov, K. Kudela, and V. I. Galkin, “Gamma-ray and high-energy-neutron measurements on CORONAS-F during the Solar Flare of 28 October 2003,” Solar Physics, vol. 268, no. 1, pp. 175–193, 2011.
- I. N. Myagkova, S. N. Kuznetsov, V. G. Kurt et al., “X-ray, γ-emission and energetic particles in near-Earth space as measured by CORONAS-F satellite: from maximum to minimum of the last solar cycle,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 1929–1934, 2007.
- V. G. Kurt, B. Yu. Yushkov, and A. V. Belov, “On the ground level enhancement beginning,” Astronomy Letters, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 520–530, 2010.