- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 394382, 13 pages
Development of Neural Network Model for Predicting Peak Ground Acceleration Based on Microtremor Measurement and Soil Boring Test Data
1Department of Civil Engineering, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Pingtung 91207, Taiwan
2Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Received 20 August 2012; Accepted 20 September 2012
Academic Editor: Ju H. Park
Copyright © 2012 T. Kerh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- USGS, “Significant earthquake and news headlines archive,” United States Geological Survey, 2011, http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/.
- C. R. Arjun and A. Kumar, “Neural network estimation of duration of strong ground motion using Japanese earthquake records,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 866–872, 2011.
- L. Frýba and J. D. Yau, “Suspended bridges subjected to moving loads and support motions due to earthquake,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 319, no. 1-2, pp. 218–227, 2009.
- M. Hori, G. Sobhaninejad, T. Ichimura, and M. Lalith, “Enhancement of integrated earthquake simulation with high-performance computing,” Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 271–282, 2011.
- T. Kerh, Y. Chan, and D. Gunaratnam, “Treatment and assessment of nonlinear seismic data by a genetic algorithm based neural network model,” International Journal of Nonlinear Sciences and Numerical Simulation, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 2009.
- T. Kubo, Y. Hisada, M. Murakami, F. Kosuge, and K. Hamano, “Application of an earthquake early warning system and a real-time strong motion monitoring system in emergency response in a high-rise building,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 231–239, 2011.
- K. R. MacKie, K. J. Cronin, and B. G. Nielson, “Response sensitivity of highway bridges to randomly oriented multi-component earthquake excitation,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 850–876, 2011.
- K. Yang and X. Liang, “A simplified method for calculating earthquake action on high-rise structures with strengthened stories,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, no. 3, pp. 140–147, 2011.
- T. Kerh, T. Ku, and D. Gunaratnam, “Comparative evaluations of the seismic key parameter by artificial neural network model and ambient vibration survey,” Disaster Advances, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 5–12, 2011.
- T. Kerh and D. Chu, “Neural networks approach and microtremor measurements in estimating peak ground acceleration due to strong motion,” Advances in Engineering Software, vol. 33, no. 11-12, pp. 733–742, 2002.
- A. Ojeda and J. Escallon, “Comparison between different techniques for evaluation of predominant periods using strong ground motion records and microtremors in Pereira Colombia,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 20, no. 1–4, pp. 137–143, 2000.
- H. Arai and K. Tokimatsu, “S-wave velocity profiling by inversion of microtremor H/V spectrum,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 53–63, 2004.
- M. A. A. Beroya, A. Aydin, R. Tiglao, and M. Lasala, “Use of microtremor in liquefaction hazard mapping,” Engineering Geology, vol. 107, no. 3-4, pp. 140–153, 2009.
- E. H. Field, S. E. Hough, and K. H. Jacob, “Using microtremors to assess potential earthquake site response: a case study in Flushing Meadows, New York City,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 80, no. 6 A, pp. 1456–1480, 1990.
- M. S. Fnais, K. Abdelrahman, and A. M. Al-Amri, “Microtremor measurements in Yanbu city of Western Saudi Arabia: a tool for seismic microzonation,” Journal of King Saud University. Science, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 97–110, 2010.
- G. A. Tselentis and P. Paraskevopoulos, “Site response analysis of Vartholomio W-Greece from singular spectrum analysis of microtremor and weak motion data,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 378–394, 2010.
- J. Lermo and F. J. Chavez-Garcia, “Are microtremors useful in site response evaluation?” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 1350–1364, 1994.
- M. I. V. Seht and J. Wohlenberg, “Microtremor measurements used to map thickness of soft sediments,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 250–259, 1999.
- Central Geological Survey, “Taiwan geoscience portal,” Ministry of Economic Affairs, 2011, http://www.moeacgs.gov.tw/.
- Central Geological Survey, “What is the distribution of active faults to cause earthquake in Taiwan?” One Hundred Geological Questions, Ministry of Economic Affairs, 2012, http://twgeoref.moeacgs.gov.tw/GipOpenWeb/wSite/ct?xItem=129493&mp=105&ctNode=1197.
- Wikipedia Encyclopedia, “Ambient vibrations,” 2011, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_Vibrations.
- Central Weather Bureau, “What is earthquake intensity?” Earthquake One Hundred Questions, No. 35, 2012, http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7/knowledge/encyclopedia/eq000.htm.
- Meggitt, “Model 731A ultra-quiet, ultra-low frequency, seismic accelerometer,” Wilcoxon Research Inc., Gaithersburg, Md, USA, 2011, http://www.wilcoxon.com/.
- C. J. Wu, J. H. Lai, M. H. Yang, L. Y. Chen, G. C. Mae, and H. B. Pan, “Study on the characteristics of environmental micro-tremor of Kaohsiung science park,” Journal of Kao Yuan University, vol. 15, pp. 177–193, 2009.
- J. H. Lai, C. J. Wu, M. H. Yang, and L. Y. Chen, “Installation of environmental micro-tremor monitoring system in Kaohsiung science park,” Final Report, Southern Taiwan Science Park, Taiwan, 2007.
- CECI Engineering Consultants, “Geologic boring and testing report,” Practical Planning and Evaluation of Environmental Impact in Luchu Base of Tainan Science Park, CECI-GD-628, 2001.
- H. B. Seed, I. M. Idris, and I. Arango, “Evaluation of liquefaction potential using field performance data.,” Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 458–482, 1983.
- K. Terzaghi and R. B. Peck, Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1948.
- R. T. Wong, H. B. Seed, and C. K. Chan, “Cyclic loading liquefaction of gravelly soils,” Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundation Division, vol. 101, pp. 571–583, 1975.
- T. Kerh, D. Gunaratnam, and Y. Chan, “Neural computing with genetic algorithm in evaluating potentially hazardous metropolitan areas result from earthquake,” Neural Computing and Applications, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 521–529, 2010.
- S. S. S. Sakla and A. F. Ashour, “Prediction of tensile capacity of single adhesive anchors using neural networks,” Computers and Structures, vol. 83, no. 21-22, pp. 1792–1803, 2005.
- S. V. N. Rao, B. S. Thandaveswara, S. M. Bhallamudi, and V. Srinivasulu, “Optimal groundwater management in deltaic regions using simulated annealing and neural networks,” Water Resources Management, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 409–428, 2003.
- D. Graupe, Introduction and Role of Artificial Neural Networks, World Scientific Publishing Company, USA, 2007.
- M. T. Hagan, H. B. Demuth, and M. H. Berale, Neural Network Design, PWS, Boston, Mass, USA, 1996.
- Y. C. Yeh, Application and Practice of Neural Networks, Rulin, Taiwan, 2009.
- H. C. Loh, Neural Network—Matlab Applications, Kaohli Book Company, Taiwan, 2005.
- S. Wu, L. Chou, S. Lee, and B. Z. Chang, Matlab Neural Networks Simulation and Application, Science Publishing Company, China, 2003.