- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 670463, 26 pages
A Survey on Extremal Problems of Eigenvalues
1Department of Mathematical Sciences, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
2Zhou Pei-Yuan Center for Applied Mathematics, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Received 3 July 2012; Accepted 7 August 2012
Academic Editor: Yeong-Cheng Liou
Copyright © 2012 Ping Yan and Meirong Zhang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Derlet, J. P. Gossez, and P. Takáč, “Minimization of eigenvalues for a quasilinear elliptic Neumann problem with indefinite weight,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 371, no. 1, pp. 69–79, 2010.
- C.-Y. Kao, Y. Lou, and E. Yanagida, “Principal eigenvalue for an elliptic problem with indefinite weight on cylindrical domains,” Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 315–335, 2008.
- Y. Lou and E. Yanagida, “Minimization of the principal eigenvalue for an elliptic boundary value problem with indefinite weight, and applications to population dynamics,” Japan Journal of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 275–292, 2006.
- X. Liang, X. Lin, and H. Matano, “A variational problem associated with the minimal speed of travelling waves for spatially periodic reaction-diffusion equations,” Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 362, no. 11, pp. 5605–5633, 2010.
- X. Liang, Y. Yi, and X. Q. Zhao, “Spreading speeds and traveling waves for periodic evolution systems,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 231, no. 1, pp. 57–77, 2006.
- S. Karaa, “Sharp estimates for the eigenvalues of some differential equations,” SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1279–1300, 1998.
- M. G. Krein, “On certain problems on the maximum and minimum of characteristic values and on the Lyapunov zones of stability,” American Mathematical Society Translations, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 163–187, 1955.
- W. Li and P. Yan, “Various half-eigenvalues of scalar p-Laplacian with indefinite integrable weights,” Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2009, Article ID 109757, 27 pages, 2009.
- W. Li and P. Yan, “Continuity and continuous differentiability of half-eigenvalues in potentials,” Communications in Contemporary Mathematics, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 977–996, 2010.
- G. Meng, P. Yan, and M. Zhang, “Spectrum of one-dimensional p-Laplacian with an indefinite integrable Weight,” Mediterranean Journal of Mathematics, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 225–248, 2010.
- G. Meng and M. R. Zhang, “Continuity in weak topology: first order linear systems of ODE,” Acta Mathematica Sinica, English Series, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1287–1298, 2010.
- M. M. Möller and A. Zettl, “Differentiable dependence of eigenvalues of operators in Banach spaces,” Journal of Operator Theory, vol. 36, pp. 335–355, 1996.
- J. P. Pöschel and E. Trubowitz, The Inverse Spectral Theory, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- P. Yan and M. Zhang, “Continuity in weak topology and extremal problems of eigenvalues of the p-laplacian,” Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 363, no. 4, pp. 2003–2028, 2011.
- A. Zettl, Sturm-Liouville Theory, Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, vol. 121, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, USA, 2005.
- M. Zhang, “Continuity in weak topology: higher order linear systems of ODE,” Science in China, Series A, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1036–1058, 2008.
- G. Meng, P. Yan, and M. Zhang, “Maximization of eigenvalues of one-dimensional p-Laplacian with integrable potentials,” Communications in Contemporary Mathematics. In press.
- G. Meng, P. Yan, and M. Zhang, “Minimization of eigenvalues of one-dimensional p-Laplacian with integrable potentials,” Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications. In press.
- G. Meng, P. Yan, and M. Zhang, “Minimizing and maximizing eigenvalues of Sturm- Liouville operators with integrable potentials,” preprint, http://faculty.math.tsinghua.edu.cn/~mzhang/publs/publ.htm.
- Q. Wei, G. Meng, and M. Zhang, “Extremal values of eigenvalues of Sturm-Liouville operators with potentials in balls,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 247, no. 2, pp. 364–400, 2009.
- M. Zhang, “Extremal values of smallest eigenvalues of Hill's operators with potentials in balls,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 246, no. 11, pp. 4188–4220, 2009.
- M. R. Zhang, “Extremal eigenvalues of measure differential equations with fixed variation,” Science China Mathematics, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 2573–2588, 2010.
- M. Zhang, “Minimization of the zeroth Neumann eigenvalues with integrable potentials,” Annales de l'Institut Henri Poincare Analyse Non Lineaire, vol. 29, pp. 501–523, 2012.
- N. Dunford and J. T. Schwartz, Linear Operators, Part I, Interscience Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 1958.
- R. E. Megginson, An Introduction to Banach Space Theory, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 183, Springer, New York,NY, USA, 1998.
- G. Meng, Continuity of Solutions and Eigenvalues in Measures with Weak∗ Topology, Doctoral Dissertation, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2009.
- G. Meng and M. Zhang, “Dependence of solutions and eigenvalues of measure differential equations on measures,” preprint, http://faculty.math.tsinghua.edu.cn/~mzhang/publs/publ.htm.
- P. L. Binding and P. Drábek, “Sturm-Liouville theory for the p-Laplacian,” Studia Scientiarum Mathematicarum Hungarica, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 375–396, 2003.
- M. Zhang, “The rotation number approach to eigenvalues of the one-dimensional p-laplacian with periodic potentials,” Journal of the London Mathematical Society, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 125–143, 2001.
- M. Cuesta and H. R. Quoirin, “A weighted eigenvalue problem for the p-Laplacian plus a potential,” Nonlinear Differential Equations and Applications, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 469–491, 2009.
- M. Zhang, “Certain classes of potentials for p-Laplacian to be non-degenerate,” Mathematische Nachrichten, vol. 278, no. 15, pp. 1823–1836, 2005.
- B. M. Brown and M. S. P. Eastham, “Titchmarsh's asymptotic formula for periodic eigenvalues and an extension to the p-Laplacian,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 338, no. 2, pp. 1255–1266, 2008.
- A. B. Mingarelli, Volterra-Stieltjes Integral Equations and Generalized Ordinary Differential Expressions, vol. 989 of Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1983.
- S. · Schwabik, Generalized Ordinary Differential Equations, World Scientific, Singapore, 1992.
- M. Carter and B. van Brunt, The Lebesgue-Stieltjes Integral: A Practical Introduction, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- F. H. Clark, Optimization and Nonsmooth Analysis, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1983.
- E. Zeidler, Nonlinear Functional Analysis and its Applications, III, Variational Methods and Optimization, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- M. S. Ashbaugh and R. Benguria, “Optimal lower bounds for eigenvalue gaps for SchrÄodinger operators with symmetric single-well potentials and related results,” in Maximum Principles and Eigenvalue Problems in Partial Differential Equations (Knoxville, TN, 1987), vol. 175 of Pitman Research Notes Mathematical Series, pp. 134–145, Longman Science and Technology, Harlow, Harlow, 1988.
- M. S. Ashbaugh, E. M. Harrell, and R. Svirsky, “On minimal and maximal eigenvalue gaps and their causes,” Pacific Jornal of Mathematics, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 1–24, 1991.
- M.-J. Huang and T.-M. Tsai, “The eigenvalue gap for one-dimensional Schrdinger operators with symmetric potentials,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh Section A, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 359–366, 2009.
- S. Karaa, “Extremal eigenvalue gaps for the Schrödinger operator with Dirichlet boundary conditions,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 2325–2332, 1998.
- R. Lavine, “The eigenvalue gap for one-dimensional convex potentials,” Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 121, pp. 815–821, 1994.
- V. G. Papanicolaou, “The periodic Euler-Bernoulli equation,” Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 355, no. 9, pp. 3727–3759, 2003.
- V. G. Papanicolaou and D. Kravvaritis, “The floquet theory of the periodic Euler-Bernoulli equation,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 24–41, 1998.
- L. Pipes, Applied Mathematics for Engineers and Physicists, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1958.