- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 205097, 5 pages
Fractional Coins and Fractional Derivatives
Institute of Engineering, Polytechnic of Porto, Department of Electrical Engineering, Rua Dr. António Bernardino de Almeida 431, 4200-072 Porto, Portugal
Received 3 April 2013; Revised 9 May 2013; Accepted 10 May 2013
Academic Editor: Dumitru Baleanu
Copyright © 2013 J. A. Tenreiro Machado. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Dirac, “The physical interpretation of quantum mechanics,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 180, pp. 1–40, 1942.
- R. P. Feynman, “The concept of probability theory in quantum mechanics,” in Second Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability Theory, University of California Press, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 1950.
- R. P. Feynman, “Negative probability,” in Quantum Implications: Essays in Honour of David Bohm, B. J. Hiley, Ed., pp. 235–248, Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, UK, 1987.
- M. S. Bartlett, “Negative probability,” Mathematical Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 71–73, 1945.
- G. J. Székely, “Half of a coin: negative probabilities,” Wilmott Magazine, pp. 66–68, 2005.
- J. S. Bell, “On the Einstein Podolsky Rosen paradox,” Physics, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 195–200, 1964.
- W. Mückenheim, G. Ludwig, C. Dewdney et al., “A review of extended probabilities,” Physics Reports, vol. 133, no. 6, pp. 337–401, 1986.
- D. Leibfried, T. Pfau, and C. Monroe, “Shadows and mirrors: reconstructing quantum states of atom motion,” Physics Today, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 22–28, 1998.
- A. Khrennikov, Interpretations of Probability, VSP, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 1999.
- H. F. Hofmann, “How to simulate a universal quantum computer using negative probabilities,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 42, no. 27, Article ID 275304, pp. 1–9, 2009.
- V. Penchev, “A philosophical view on the introduction of negative and complex probability in quantum information,” Philosophical Alternatives, no. 1, pp. 63–78, 2012.
- E. G. Haug, “Why so negative to negative probabilities? What is the probability of the expected being neither expected nor unexpected?” Wilmott Magazine, pp. 34–38, 2007.
- H. Tijms and K. Staats, “Negative probabilities at work in the M/D/1 queue,” Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 67–76, 2007.
- M. Burgin and G. Meissner, “Negative probabilities in financial modeling,” Wilmott Magazine, vol. 58, pp. 60–65, 2012.
- K. B. Oldham and J. Spanier, The Fractional Calculus: Theory and Application of Differentiation and Integration to Arbitrary Order, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- K. S. Miller and B. Ross, An Introduction to the Fractional Calculus and Fractional Differential Equations, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- S. G. Samko, A. A. Kilbas, and O. I. Marichev, Fractional Integrals and Derivatives: Theory and Applications, Gordon and Breach Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1993.
- O. Heaviside, “On operators in physical mathematics,” Proceedings of the Royal Society, vol. 52, pp. 504–529, 1893.
- J. T. Machado, V. Kiryakova, and F. Mainardi, “Recent history of fractional calculus,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 1140–1153, 2011.
- B. J. West, M. Bologna, and P. Grigolini, Physics of Fractal Operators, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- R. Magin, Fractional Calculus in Bioengineering, Begell House, Redding, Calif, USA, 2006.
- R. Caponetto, G. Dongola, L. Fortuna, and I. Petráš, Fractional Order Systems: Modeling and Control Applications, World Scientific, Singapore, 2010.
- C. A. Monje, Y. Chen, B. M. Vinagre, D. Xue, and V. Feliu, Fractional-Order Systems and Controls: Fundamentals and Applications, Springer, London, UK, 2010.
- I. Petráš, Fractional-Order Nonlinear Systems: Modeling, Analysis and Simulation, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, 2011.
- A. Oustaloup, Systèmes Asservis Linéaires D'ordre Fractionnaire: Théorie et Pratique, Masson, Paris, France, 1983.
- S. Westerlund and L. Ekstam, “Capacitor theory,” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 826–839, 1994.
- J. T. Machado, “Analysis and design of fractional-order digital control systems,” Systems Analysis, Modelling, Simulation, vol. 27, no. 2-3, pp. 107–122, 1997.
- I. Podlubny, Fractional Differential Equations, Volume 198: An Introduction to Fractional Derivatives, Fractional Differential Equations, to Methods of Their Solution, Mathematics in Science and Engineering, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1999.
- R. Hilfer, Applications of Fractional Calculus in Physics, World Scientific, Singapore, 2000.
- G. M. Zaslavsky, Hamiltonian Chaos and Fractional Dynamics, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2005.
- J. Sabatier, O. P. Agrawal, and J. T. Machado, Advances in Fractional Calculus: Theoretical Developments and Applications in Physics and Engineering, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2007.
- C. M. Ionescu and R. De Keyser, “Relations between fractional-order model parameters and lung pathology in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 978–987, 2009.
- D. Baleanu, “About fractional quantization and fractional variational principles,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 2520–2523, 2009.
- V. E. Tarasov, Fractional Dynamics: Applications of Fractional Calculus to Dynamics of Particles, Fields and Media, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
- F. Mainardi, Fractional Calculus and Waves in Linear Viscoelasticity: An Introduction to Mathematical Models, Imperial College Press, London, UK, 2010.
- D. Baleanu, K. Diethelm, E. Scalas, and J. J. Trujillo, Fractional Calculus: Models and Numerical Methods, World Scientific, Boston, Mass, USA, 2012.
- A. Kilbas, H. Srivastava, and J. Trujillo, Theory and Applications of Fractional Differential Equations, vol. 204, North-Holland Mathematics Studies, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006.
- F. B. Tatom, “The relationship between fractional calculus and fractals,” Fractals, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 217–229, 1995.
- I. Podlubny, “Geometric and physical interpretation of fractional integration and fractional differentiation,” Fractional Calculus & Applied Analysis, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 367–386, 2002.
- J. T. Machado, “A probabilistic interpretation of the fractional-order differentiation,” Fractional Calculus & Applied Analysis, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 73–80, 2003.
- J. T. Machado, “Fractional derivatives: probability interpretation and frequency response of rational approximations,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulations, vol. 14, no. 9-10, pp. 3492–3497, 2009.
- I. Podlubny, “Fractional-order systems and PIλDμ-controllers,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 208–214, 1999.
- Y. Q. Chen and K. L. Moore, “Discretization schemes for fractional-order differentiators and integrators,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 363–367, 2002.