- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 282593, 14 pages
Semi-Idealized Study on Estimation of Partly and Fully Space Varying Open Boundary Conditions for Tidal Models
1Institute of Physical Oceanography, Ocean College, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310058, China
2MOE Key Laboratory of Coast and Island Development, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
3Laboratory of Physical Oceanography, Ocean University of China, Qingdao 266100, China
4China Offshore Environmental Services Ltd., Qingdao 266061, China
Received 5 June 2013; Revised 1 September 2013; Accepted 1 September 2013
Academic Editor: Rasajit Bera
Copyright © 2013 Jicai Zhang and Haibo Chen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Munk, “Once again: once again-tidal friction,” Progress in Oceanography, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 7–35, 1997.
- J. Zhang, P. Wang, and J. Hughes, “EOF analysis of water level variations for microtidal and mangrove-covered Frog Creek system, west-central Florida,” Journal of Coastal Research, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1279–1288, 2012.
- A. Zhang, E. Wei, and B. B. Parker, “Optimal estimation of tidal open boundary conditions using predicted tides and adjoint data assimilation technique,” Continental Shelf Research, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1055–1070, 2003.
- J. Zhang and X. Lu, “Inversion of three-dimensional tidal currents in marginal seas by assimilating satellite altimetry,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 199, no. 49–52, pp. 3125–3136, 2010.
- I. S. Strub, J. Percelay, M. T. Stacey, and A. M. Bayen, “Inverse estimation of open boundary conditions in tidal channels,” Ocean Modelling, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 85–93, 2009.
- Z. Guo, A. Cao, and X. Lu, “Inverse estimation of open boundary conditions in the Bohai Sea,” Mathematical Problemsin Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 628061, p. 9, 2012.
- J. Zhang and X. Lu, “Parameter estimation for a three-dimensional numerical barotropic tidal model with adjoint method,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 47–92, 2008.
- G. I. Marchuk, “Formulation of the theory of perturbations for complicated models,” Applied Mathematics and Optimization, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–33, 1975.
- E. Kazantsev, “Sensitivity of a shallow-water model to parameters,” Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applications, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 1416–1428, 2012.
- I. M. Navon, “Practical and theoretical aspects of adjoint parameter estimation and identifiability in meteorology and oceanography,” Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans, vol. 27, no. 1–4, pp. 55–79, 1998.
- W. W.-G. Yeh, “Review of parameter identification procedures in groundwater hydrology: the inverse problem,” Water Resources Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 95–108, 1986.
- O. M. Smedstad and J. J. O'Brien, “Variational data assimilation and parameter estimation in an equatorial Pacific ocean model,” Progress in Oceanography, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 179–241, 1991.
- S. K. Das and R. W. Lardner, “On the estimation of parameters of hydraulic models by assimilation of periodic tidal data,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 96, pp. 15187–15196, 1991.
- S. K. Das and R. W. Lardner, “Variational parameter estimation for a two-dimensional numerical tidal model,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 313–327, 1992.
- D. S. Ullman and R. E. Wilson, “Model parameter estimation from data assimilation modeling: temporal and spatial variability of the bottom drag coefficient,” Journal of Geophysical Research C: Oceans, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 5531–5549, 1998.
- A. W. Heemink, E. E. A. Mouthaan, M. R. T. Roest, E. A. H. Vollebregt, K. B. Robaczewska, and M. Verlaan, “Inverse 3D shallow water flow modelling of the continental shelf,” Continental Shelf Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 465–484, 2002.
- X. Lu and J. Zhang, “Numerical study on spatially varying bottom friction coefficient of a 2D tidal model with adjoint method,” Continental Shelf Research, vol. 26, no. 16, pp. 1905–1923, 2006.
- J. Zhang, X. Lu, P. Wang, and Y. P. Wang, “Study on linear and nonlinear bottom friction parameterizations for regional tidal models using data assimilation,” Continental Shelf Research, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 555–573, 2011.
- A. K. Alekseev, I. M. Navon, and J. L. Steward, “Comparison of advanced large-scale minimization algorithms for the solution of inverse ill-posed problems,” Optimization Methods & Software, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 63–87, 2009.
- X. Zou, I. M. Navon, and J. Sela, “Control of gravitational oscillations in variational data assimilation,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 272–289, 1993.
- D. C. Liu and J. Nocedal, “On the limited memory BFGS method for large scale optimization,” Mathematical Programming, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 503–528, 1989.
- I. M. Navon, X. Zou, J. Derber, and J. Sela, “Variational data assimilation with an adiabatic version of the NMC spectral model,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 120, no. 7, pp. 1433–1446, 1992.
- A. Cao, H. Chen, J. Zhang, and X. Lv, “Optimization of open boundary conditions in a 3D internal tidal model with the adjoint method around Hawaii,” Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2013, Article ID 950926, 11 pages, 2013.
- H. Chen, C. Miao, and X. Lv, “Estimation of open boundary conditions for an internal tidal model with adjoint method: a comparative study on optimization methods,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 802136, 12 pages, 2013.
- H. Chen, A. Cao, J. Zhang, C. Miao, and X. Lv, “Estimation of spatially varying open boundary conditions for a numerical internal tidal model with adjoint method,” Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, 2013.