- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 306467, 9 pages
Cross-Diffusion-Driven Instability in a Reaction-Diffusion Harrison Predator-Prey Model
1Faculty of Science, Shaanxi University of Science and Technology, Xi’an 710021, China
2School of Mathematics and Computational Science, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou 510275, China
Received 4 August 2012; Accepted 14 December 2012
Academic Editor: Xiaodi Li
Copyright © 2013 Xiaoqin Wang and Yongli Cai. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Levin, “The problem of pattern and scale in ecology: the Robert H., MacArthur award lecture,” Ecology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1943–1967, 1992.
- A. Okubo and S. A. Levin, Diffusion and Ecological Problems: Modern Perspectives, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
- D. Alonso, F. Bartumeus, and J. Catalan, “Mutual interference between predators can give rise to turing spatial patterns,” Ecology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2002.
- J. D. Murray, Mathematical Biology, vol. 18, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2003.
- R. S. Cantrell and C. Cosner, Spatial Ecology Via Reaction-Diffusion Equations, John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
- E. A. McGehee and E. Peacock-López, “Turing patterns in a modified Lotka-Volterra model,” Physics Letters A, vol. 342, no. 1-2, pp. 90–98, 2005.
- R. B. Hoyle, Pattern Formation: An Introduction to Methods, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2006.
- M. Iida, M. Mimura, and H. Ninomiya, “Diffusion, cross-diffusion and competitive interaction,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 617–641, 2006.
- W. Wang, Q.-X. Liu, and Z. Jin, “Spatiotemporal complexity of a ratio-dependent predator-prey system,” Physical Review E, vol. 75, no. 5, Article ID 051913, 9 pages, 2007.
- A. Madzvamuse and P. K. Maini, “Velocity-induced numerical solutions of reaction-diffusion systems on continuously growing domains,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 225, no. 1, pp. 100–119, 2007.
- H. Malchow, S. V. Petrovskii, and E. Venturino, Spatiotemporal Patterns in Ecology and Epidemiology–Theory, Models, and Simulation, Mathematical and Computational Biology Series, Chapman & Hall, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2008.
- A. Morozov and S. Petrovskii, “Excitable population dynamics, biological control failure, and spatiotemporal pattern formation in a model ecosystem,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 863–887, 2009.
- B. Dubey, N. Kumari, and R. K. Upadhyay, “Spatiotemporal pattern formation in a diffusive predator-prey system: an analytical approach,” Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computing, vol. 31, no. 1-2, pp. 413–432, 2009.
- W. Wang, L. Zhang, H. Wang, and Z. Li, “Pattern formation of a predator-prey system with Ivlev-type functional response,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 221, no. 2, pp. 131–140, 2010.
- W. Wang, Y. Lin, L. Zhang, F. Rao, and Y. Tan, “Complex patterns in a predator-prey model with self and cross-diffusion,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 2006–2015, 2011.
- A. Turing, “The chemical basis of morphogenesis,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 237, pp. 37–72, 1952.
- Y. Huang and O. Diekmann, “Interspecific influence on mobility and Turing instability,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 143–156, 2003.
- E. H. Kerner, “Further considerations on the statistical mechanics of biological associations,” The Bulletin of Mathematical Biophysics, vol. 21, pp. 217–255, 1959.
- M. E. Gurtin, “Some mathematical models for population dynamics that lead to segregation,” Quarterly of Applied Mathematics, vol. 32, pp. 1–8, 1974.
- T. J. McDougall and J. S. Turner, “Influence of cross diffusion on finger double–diffusive convection,” Nature, vol. 299, no. 5886, pp. 812–814, 1982.
- Y. Alimirantis and S. Papageorgiou, “Cross diffusion effects on chemical and biological pattern formation,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 151, pp. 289–311, 1991.
- J. Chattopadhyay and P. K. Tapaswi, “Order and disorder in biological systems through negative cross-diffusion of mitotic inhibitor-a mathematical model,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 105–112, 1993.
- J. Chattopadhyay and S. Chatterjee, “Cross diffusional effect in a Lotka-Volterra competitive system,” Nonlinear Phenomena in Complex Systems, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 364–369, 2001.
- C. Tian, Z. Lin, and M. Pedersen, “Instability induced by cross-diffusion in reaction-diffusion systems,” Nonlinear Analysis, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 1036–1045, 2010.
- J. Shi, Z. Xie, and K. Little, “Cross-diffusion induced instability and stability in reaction-diffusion systems,” The Journal of Applied Analysis and Computation, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 95–119, 2011.
- G. W. Harrison, “Multiple stable equilibria in a predator-prey system,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 137–148, 1986.
- B. Dubey, B. Das, and J. Hussain, “A predator-prey interaction model with self and cross-diffusion,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 141, no. 1–3, pp. 67–76, 2001.
- J. D. Murray, “Discussion: turing’s theory of morphogenesis-its influence on modelling biological pattern and form,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 117–152, 1990.
- J. Chattopadhyay and P. K. Tapaswi, “Effect of cross-diffusion on pattern formation—a nonlinear analysis,” Acta Applicandae Mathematicae, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1997.
- M. R. Garvie, “Finite-difference schemes for reaction-diffusion equations modeling predator-prey interactions in MATLAB,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 931–956, 2007.
- A. Munteanu and R. Sole, “Pattern formation in noisy self-replicating spots,” International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 3679–3683, 2007.
- J. Von Hardenberg, E. Meron, M. Shachak, and Y. Zarmi, “Diversity of vegetation patterns and desertification,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 87, no. 19, Article ID 198101, 4 pages, 2001.
- M. Liu and K. Wang, “Persistence and extinction in stochastic non-autonomous logistic systems,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 375, no. 2, pp. 443–457, 2011.