- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 487810, 10 pages
Allee-Effect-Induced Instability in a Reaction-Diffusion Predator-Prey Model
1College of Mathematics and Information Science, Wenzhou University, Wenzhou 325035, China
2School of Mathematics and Computational Science, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou 510275, China
Received 25 December 2012; Revised 28 February 2013; Accepted 9 March 2013
Academic Editor: Lan Xu
Copyright © 2013 Weiming Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Turing, “The chemical basis of morphogenesis,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 237, pp. 37–72, 1952.
- S. Levin, “The problem of pattern and scale in ecology,” Ecology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1943–1967, 1992.
- Z. A. Wang and T. Hillen, “Classical solutions and pattern formation for a volume filling chemotaxis model,” Chaos, vol. 17, no. 3, Article ID 037108, 2007.
- N. F. Britton, Essential Mathematical Biology, Springer, 2003.
- M. C. Cross and P. H. Hohenberg, “Pattern formation outside of equilibrium,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 851–1112, 1993.
- K. J. Lee, W. D. McCormick, Q. Ouyang, and H. L. Swinney, “Pattern formation by interacting chemical fronts,” Science, vol. 261, no. 5118, pp. 192–194, 1993.
- A. B. Medvinsky, S. V. Petrovskii, I. A. Tikhonova, H. Malchow, and B.-L. Li, “Spatiotemporal complexity of plankton and fish dynamics,” SIAM Review, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 311–370, 2002.
- W.-M. Ni and M. Tang, “Turing patterns in the Lengyel-Epstein system for the CIMA reaction,” Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 357, no. 10, pp. 3953–3969, 2005.
- R. B. Hoyle, Pattern Formation: An Introduction to Methods, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2006.
- M. J. Ward and J. Wei, “The existence and stability of asymmetric spike patterns for the Schnakenberg model,” Studies in Applied Mathematics, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 229–264, 2002.
- M. J. Ward, “Asymptotic methods for reaction-diffusion systems: past and present,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1151–1167, 2006.
- J. Wei, “Pattern formations in two-dimensional Gray-Scott model: existence of single-spot solutions and their stability,” Physica D, vol. 148, no. 1-2, pp. 20–48, 2001.
- J. Wei and M. Winter, “Stationary multiple spots for reaction-diffusion systems,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 53–89, 2008.
- W. Chen and M. J. Ward, “The stability and dynamics of localized spot patterns in the two-dimensional Gray-Scott model,” SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 582–666, 2011.
- R. McKay and T. Kolokolnikov, “Stability transitions and dynamics of mesa patterns near the shadow limit of reaction-diffusion systems in one space dimension,” Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems B, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 191–220, 2012.
- L Segel and J. Jackson, “Dissipative structure: an explanation and an ecological example,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 545–559, 1972.
- A. Gierer and H. Meinhardt, “A theory of biological pattern formation,” Biological Cybernetics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 30–39, 1972.
- S. Levin and L. Segel, “Hypothesis for origin of planktonic patchiness,” Nature, vol. 259, no. 5545, p. 659, 1976.
- S. A. Levin and L. A. Segel, “Pattern generation in space and aspect,” SIAM Review A, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 45–67, 1985.
- J. D. Murray, Mathematical Biology, Springer, 2003.
- A. Okubo and S. A. Levin, Diffusion and Ecological Problems: Modern Perspectives, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
- C. Neuhauser, “Mathematical challenges in spatial ecology,” Notices of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 1304–1314, 2001.
- R. S. Cantrell and C. Cosner, Spatial Ecology via Reaction-Diffusion Equations, John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, UK, 2003.
- T. K. Callahan and E. Knobloch, “Pattern formation in three-dimensional reaction-diffusion systems,” Physica D, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 339–362, 1999.
- A. Bhattacharyay, “Spirals and targets in reaction-diffusion systems,” Physical Review E, vol. 64, no. 1, Article ID 016113, 2001.
- T. Leppänen, M. Karttunen, K. Kaski, and R. Barrio, “Dimensionality effects in Turing pattern formation,” International Journal of Modern Physics B, vol. 17, no. 29, pp. 5541–5553, 2003.
- J. He, “Asymptotic methods for solitary solutions and compactons,” Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2012, Article ID 916793, 130 pages, 2012.
- G. W. Harrison, “Multiple stable equilibria in a predator-prey system,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 137–148, 1986.
- G. W. Harrison, “Comparing predator-prey models to Luckinbill’s experiment with didinium and paramecium,” Ecology, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 357–374, 1995.
- D. Alonso, F. Bartumeus, and J. Catalan, “Mutual interference between predators can give rise to Turing spatial patterns,” Ecology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2002.
- M. Baurmann, T. Gross, and U. Feudel, “Instabilities in spatially extended predator-prey systems: spatio-temporal patterns in the neighborhood of Turing-Hopf bifurcations,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 245, no. 2, pp. 220–229, 2007.
- W. Wang, Q.-X. Liu, and Z. Jin, “Spatiotemporal complexity of a ratio-dependent predator-prey system,” Physical Review E, vol. 75, no. 5, Article ID 051913, p. 9, 2007.
- W. Wang, L. Zhang, H. Wang, and Z. Li, “Pattern formation of a predator-prey system with Ivlev-type functional response,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 221, no. 2, pp. 131–140, 2010.
- R. K. Upadhyay, W. Wang, and N. K. Thakur, “Spatiotemporal dynamics in a spatial plankton system,” Mathematical Modelling of Natural Phenomena, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 102–122, 2010.
- J. Wang, J. Shi, and J. Wei, “Dynamics and pattern formation in a diffusive predator-prey system with strong Allee effect in prey,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 251, no. 4-5, pp. 1276–1304, 2011.
- M. Banerjee and S. Petrovskii, “Self-organised spatial patterns and chaos in a ratiodependent predator–prey system,” Theoretical Ecology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 37–53, 2011.
- M. Banerjee, “Spatial pattern formation in ratio-dependent model: higher-order stability analysis,” Mathematical Medicine and Biology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 111–128, 2011.
- M. Banerjee and S. Banerjee, “Turing instabilities and spatio-temporal chaos in ratio-dependent Holling-Tanner model,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 236, no. 1, pp. 64–76, 2012.
- S. Fasani and S. Rinaldi, “Factors promoting or inhibiting Turing instability in spatially extended prey–predator systems,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 222, no. 18, pp. 3449–3452, 2011.
- L. A. D. Rodrigues, D. C. Mistro, and S. Petrovskii, “Pattern formation, long-term transients, and the Turing-Hopf bifurcation in a space- and time-discrete predator-prey system,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 1812–1840, 2011.
- W. C. Allee, Animal Aggregations: A Study in General Sociology, AMS Press, 1978.
- F. Courchamp, J. Berec, and J. Gascoigne, Allee Effects in Ecology and Conservation, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- B. Dennis, “Allee effects: population growth, critical density, and the chance of extinction,” Natural Resource Modeling, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 481–538, 1989.
- M. A. McCarthy, “The Allee effect, finding mates and theoretical models,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 99–102, 1997.
- G. Wang, X. G. Liang, and F. Z. Wang, “The competitive dynamics of populations subject to an Allee effect,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 183–192, 1999.
- M. A. Burgman, S. Ferson, H. R. Akçakaya, et al., Risk Assessment in Conservation Biology, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1993.
- M. Lewis and P. Kareiva, “Allee dynamics and the spread of invading organisms,” Theoretical Population Biology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 141–158, 1993.
- P. A. Stephens and W. J. Sutherland, “Consequences of the Allee effect for behaviour, ecology and conservation,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 401–405, 1999.
- P. A. Stephens, W. J. Sutherland, and R. P. Freckleton, “What is the Allee effect?” Oikos, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 185–190, 1999.
- T. H. Keitt, M. A. Lewis, and R. D. Holt, “Allee effects, invasion pinning, and Species’ borders,” American Naturalist, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 203–216, 2002.
- S. R. Zhou, Y. F. Liu, and G. Wang, “The stability of predator–prey systems subject to the Allee effects,” Theoretical Population Biology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 2005.
- S. Petrovskii, A. Morozov, and B.-L. Li, “Regimes of biological invasion in a predator-prey system with the Allee effect,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 637–661, 2005.
- J. Shi and R. Shivaji, “Persistence in reaction diffusion models with weak Allee effect,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 807–829, 2006.
- A. Morozov, S. Petrovskii, and B.-L. Li, “Spatiotemporal complexity of patchy invasion in a predator-prey system with the Allee effect,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 238, no. 1, pp. 18–35, 2006.
- L. Roques, A. Roques, H. Berestycki, and A. Kretzschmar, “A population facing climate change: joint influences of Allee effects and environmental boundary geometry,” Population Ecology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 215–225, 2008.
- C. Çelik and O. Duman, “Allee effect in a discrete-time predator-prey system,” Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 1956–1962, 2009.
- J. Zu and M. Mimura, “The impact of Allee effect on a predator-prey system with Holling type II functional response,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 217, no. 7, pp. 3542–3556, 2010.
- J. Wang, J. Shi, and J. Wei, “Predator-prey system with strong Allee effect in prey,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 291–331, 2011.
- E. González-Olivares, H. Meneses-Alcay, B. González-Yañez, J. Mena-Lorca, A. Rojas-Palma, and R. Ramos-Jiliberto, “Multiple stability and uniqueness of the limit cycle in a Gause-type predator-prey model considering the Allee effect on prey,” Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applicationsl, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 2931–2942, 2011.
- P. Aguirre, E. González-Olivares, and E. Sáez, “Two limit cycles in a Leslie-Gower predator-prey model with additive Allee effect,” Nonlinear Analysis. Real World Applications, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1401–1416, 2009.
- P. Aguirre, E. González-Olivares, and E. Sáez, “Three limit cycles in a Leslie-Gower predator-prey model with additive Allee effect,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 1244–1262, 2009.
- Y. Cai, W. Wang, and J. Wang, “Dynamics of a diffusive predator-prey model with additive Allee effect,” International Journal of Biomathematics, vol. 5, no. 2, Article ID 1250023, 2012.
- M. E. Solomon, “The natural control of animal populations,” The Journal of Animal Ecology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–35, 1949.
- A. J. Lotka, Elements of Physical Biology, Williams and Wilkins, 1925.
- C. Jost, Comparing Predator–Prey Models Qualitatively and Quantitatively with Ecological Time-Series Data, Institut National Agronomique, Paris-Grignon, 1998.
- H. Malchow, S. V. Petrovskii, and E. Venturino, Spatiotemporal Patterns in Ecology and Epidemiology, Chapman & Hall, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2008.
- M. R. Garvie, “Finite-difference schemes for reaction-diffusion equations modeling predator-prey interactions in MATLAB,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 931–956, 2007.
- A. Munteanu and R. Solé, “Pattern formation in noisy self-replicating spots,” International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 3679–3683, 2006.