- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 709497, 7 pages
Evolution of Aerosol Particles in the Rainfall Process via Method of Moments
School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310027, China
Received 20 July 2013; Accepted 13 August 2013
Academic Editor: Jianzhong Lin
Copyright © 2013 Fangyang Yuan and Fujun Gan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Penttinen, K. L. Timonen, P. Tiittanen, A. Mirme, J. Ruuskanen, and J. Pekkanen, “Number concentration and size of particles in urban air: effects on spirometric lung function in adult asthmatic subjects,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 319–323, 2001.
- J. H. Seinfeld and S. N. Pandis, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- C. H. Jung, Y. P. Kim, and K. W. Lee, “A moment model for simulating raindrop scavenging of aerosols,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1217–1233, 2003.
- M. Mircea and S. Stefan, “A theoretical study of the microphysical parameterization of the scavenging coefficient as a function of precipitation type and rate,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 32, no. 17, pp. 2931–2938, 1998.
- D. M. Chate, P. S. P. Rao, M. S. Naik, G. A. Momin, P. D. Safai, and K. Ali, “Scavenging of aerosols and their chemical species by rain,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 37, no. 18, pp. 2477–2484, 2003.
- D. M. Chate and A. K. Kamra, “Collection efficiencies of large water drops collecting aerosol particles of various densities,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1631–1635, 1997.
- H. M. Davenport and L. K. Peters, “Field studies of atmospheric particulate concentration changes during precipitation,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 997–1008, 1978.
- M. Mircea, S. Stefan, and S. Fuzzi, “Precipitation scavenging coefficient: influence of measured aerosol and raindrop size distributions,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 34, no. 29-30, pp. 5169–5174, 2000.
- W. G. N. Slinn, “Precipitation scavenging,” in Atmospheric Sciences and Power Production, Division of Biomedical Environmental Research, US Department of Energy, Washington, DC, USA, 1983.
- C. Andronache, “Estimated variability of below-cloud aerosol removal by rainfall for observed aerosol size distributions,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 131–143, 2003.
- C. Andronache, “Diffusion and electric charge contributions to below-cloud wet removal of atmospheric ultra-fine aerosol particles,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1467–1482, 2004.
- C. Andronache, T. Grönholm, L. Laakso, Y. Phillips, and A. Venäläinen, “Scavenging of ultrafine particles by rainfall at a boreal site: observations and model estimations,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 4739–4754, 2006.
- C. H. Jung, Y. P. Kim, and K. W. Lee, “Analytic solution for polydispersed aerosol dynamics by a wet removal process,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 753–767, 2002.
- S. Y. Bae, C. H. Jung, and Y. Pyo Kim, “Development and evaluation of an expression for polydisperse particle scavenging coefficient for the below-cloud scavenging as a function of rain intensity using the moment method,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1507–1519, 2006.
- D. L. Marchisio, R. D. Vigil, and R. O. Fox, “Implementation of the quadrature method of moments in CFD codes for aggregation-breakage problems,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 58, no. 15, pp. 3337–3351, 2003.
- R. E. Sampson and G. S. Springer, “Condensation on and evaporation from droplets by a moment method,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 577–584, 1969.
- M. Yu, J. Lin, and T. Chan, “A new moment method for solving the coagulation equation for particles in Brownian motion,” Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 705–713, 2008.
- M. Yu and J. Lin, “Taylor-expansion moment method for agglomerate coagulation due to Brownian motion in the entire size regime,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 549–562, 2009.
- S. H. Park and K. W. Lee, “Analytical solution to change in size distribution of polydisperse particles in closed chamber due to diffusion and sedimentation,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 36, no. 35, pp. 5459–5467, 2002.
- L. Jianzhong, S. Xing, and Y. Zhenjiang, “Effects of the aspect ratio on the sedimentation of a fiber in Newtonian fluids,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 909–921, 2003.
- J. Lin, P. Lin, and H. Chen, “Research on the transport and deposition of nanoparticles in a rotating curved pipe,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 21, no. 12, Article ID 122001, 11 pages, 2009.
- M. Yu, J. Lin, and T. Chan, “Numerical simulation of nanoparticle synthesis in diffusion flame reactor,” Powder Technology, vol. 181, no. 1, pp. 9–20, 2008.
- M. Z. Yu, J. Z. Lin, and T. L. Chan, “Effect of precursor loading on non-spherical TiO2 nanoparticle synthesis in a diffusion flame reactor,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 2317–2329, 2008.
- S. E. Pratsinis, “Simultaneous nucleation, condensation, and coagulation in aerosol reactors,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 416–427, 1988.
- K. W. Lee and B. Y. H. Liu, “Theoretical study of aerosol filtration by fibrous filters,” Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 147–161, 1982.
- G. Feingold and Z. Levin, “The lognormal fit to raindrop spectra from frontal convective clouds in Israel,” Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1346–1363, 1986.
- E. R. Whitby and P. H. McMurry, “Modal aerosol dynamics modeling,” Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 673–688, 1997.
- S. Y. Bae, C. H. Jung, and Y. P. Kim, “Derivation and verification of an aerosol dynamics expression for the below-cloud scavenging process using the moment method,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 266–280, 2010.
- C. H. Jung and K. W. Lee, “Filtration of fine particles by multiple liquid droplet and gas bubble systems,” Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 389–401, 1998.
- S. Greenfield, “Rain scavenging of radioactive particulate matter from the atmosphere,” Journal of Meteorology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 115–125, 1957.
- K. W. Lai, N. Dayan, and M. Kerker, “Scavenging of aerosol particles by a falling water drop,” Journal of Atmospheric Science, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 674–682, 1978.