- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 741386, 9 pages
A Schistosomiasis Model with Mating Structure
1School of Mathematical Sciences, Anhui University, Hefei 230601, China
2College of Science, Beijing University of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Beijing 100044, China
Received 10 July 2013; Accepted 20 August 2013
Academic Editor: Mark McKibben
Copyright © 2013 Longxing Qi and Jing-an Cui. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. C. Faust and H. E. Meleney, “Studies on Schistosomiasis japonica,” American Journal of Hygiene, no. 3, 1924.
- C. P. de Souza, L. K. Jannotti-Passos, S. S. Ferreira, and I. B. Sampaio, “Influence of temperature on development of Schistosoma mansoni female cercariae in Biomphalaria glabrata,” Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 319–324, 1995.
- A. Perlowagora-Szumlewicz, “The reaction of Australorbis glabratus (Biomphalaria glabrata) to infection with Schistosoma mansoni,” Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 219–228, 1968.
- C. Castillo-Chavez, Z. Feng, and D. Xu, “A schistosomiasis model with mating structure and time delay,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 333–341, 2008.
- K. P. Hadeler, R. Waldstätter, and A. Wörz-Busekros, “Models for pair formation in bisexual populations,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 635–649, 1988.
- S. F. H. Schmitz and C. Castillo-Chavez, “A note on pair-formation functions,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling, vol. 31, no. 4-5, pp. 83–91, 2000.
- L. Qi, J. A. Cui, Y. Gao, and H. Zhu, “Modeling the schistosomiasis on the islets in Nanjing,” International Journal of Biomathematics, vol. 5, no. 4, Article ID 1250037, 17 pages, 2012.
- L. X. Qi and J. A. Cui, “A schistosomiasis model with praziquantel resistance,” Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol. 2013, Article ID 945767, 13 pages, 2013.
- D. Xu, J. Curtis, Z. Feng, and D. J. Minchella, “On the role of schistosome mating structure in the maintenance of drug resistant strains,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 1207–1226, 2005.
- J. Boissier and H. Mone, “Experimental observations on the sex ratio of adult Schistosoma mansoni, with comments on the natural male bias,” Parasitology, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 379–383, 2000.
- V. Haukisalmi, H. Henttonen, and P. Vikman, “Variability of sex ratio, mating probability and egg production in an intestinal nematode in its fluctuating host population,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 755–763, 1996.
- J. D. Liberatos, “Schistosoma mansoni: male-biased sex ratios in snails and mice,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 165–177, 1987.
- S. B. Mao, Biology of Schistosome and Control of Schistosomiasis, People's Health Press, Beijing, China, 1990 (Chinese).
- R. Nino Incani, G. Morales, and I. M. Cesari, “Parasite and vertebrate host genetic heterogeneity determine the outcome of infection by Schistosoma mansoni,” Parasitology Research, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 131–137, 2001.
- S. Rowntree and C. James, “Single sex cercariae of Schistosoma mansoni, a comparison of male and female infectivity,” Journal of Helminthology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 69–70, 1977.
- M. L. Steinauer, I. N. Mwangi, G. M. Maina et al., “Interactions between natural populations of human and rodent schistosomes in the lake victoria region of Kenya: a molecular epidemiological approach,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 2, no. 4, article e222, 2008.
- I. Nåsell, “Mating models for schistosomes,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 21–35, 1978.
- P. Zhang, G. J. Sandland, Z. Feng, D. Xu, and D. J. Minchella, “Evolutionary implications for interactions between multiple strains of host and parasite,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 248, no. 2, pp. 225–240, 2007.
- M. L. Steinauer, “The sex lives of parasites: investigating the mating system and mechanisms of sexual selection of the human pathogen Schistosoma mansoni,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 1157–1163, 2009.
- R. M. May and M. E. J. Woolhouse, “Biased sex ratios and parasite mating probabilities,” Parasitology, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 287–295, 1993.
- L. A. T. Tchuente, V. R. Southgate, D. Imbert-Establet, and J. Jourdane, “Change of mate and mating competition between males of Schistosoma intercalatum and S. mansoni,” Parasitology, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 45–52, 1995.
- O. D. Standen, “The relationship of sex in Schistosoma mansoni to migration within the hepatic portal system of experimentally infected mice,” Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, vol. 47, pp. 139–145, 1953.
- E. M. Cornford and M. E. Huot, “Glucose transfer from male to female schistosomes,” Science, vol. 213, no. 4513, pp. 1269–1271, 1981.
- E. M. Cornford and A. M. Fitzpatrick, “Glucose transfer from male to female schistosomes: definition of the mechanism and rate constant,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 131–141, 1985.
- E. M. Cornford, “Influence of mating on surface nutrient exchange in schistosomes,” Journal of Chemical Ecology, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 1777–1796, 1986.
- B. G. Atkinson and K. H. Atkinson, “Schistosoma mansoni: one- and two-dimensional electrophoresis of proteins synthesized in vitro by males, females, and juveniles,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 26–38, 1982.
- A. H. Davis, R. Blanton, and P. Klich, “Stage and sex specific differences in actin gene expression in Schistosoma mansoni,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 289–298, 1985.
- P. van den Driessche and J. Watmough, “Reproduction numbers and sub-threshold endemic equilibria for compartmental models of disease transmission,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 180, pp. 29–48, 2002.
- Z. Feng, J. Curtis, and D. J. Minchella, “The influence of drug treatment on the maintenance of schistosome genetic diversity,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 52–68, 2001.
- S. P. Da Silva and F. Noel, “Time course of the effect of praziquantel on Schistosoma mansoni attachment in vitro: comparison with its effects on worm length and motility,” Parasitology Research, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 543–548, 1995.
- M. L. A. Ferrari, P. M. Z. Coelho, C. M. F. Antunes, C. A. P. Tavares, and A. S. Da Cunha, “Efficacy of oxamniquine and praziquantel in the treatment of Schistosoma mansoni infection: a controlled trial,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 190–196, 2003.
- Y. Mitsui, M. Miura, and Y. Aoki, “In vitro effects of artesunate on the survival of worm pairs and egg production of Schistosoma mansoni,” Journal of Helminthology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 7–11, 2009.
- D. Cioli, “Chemotherapy of schistosomiasis: an update,” Parasitology Today, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 418–422, 1998.