- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 845872, 8 pages
Direct Numerical Simulation of Concentration and Orientation Distribution of Fibers in a Mixing Layer
1Key Laboratory for Ferrous Metallurgy and Resources Utilization of Ministry of Education,
Wuhan University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430081, China
2College of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310027, China
3College of Mechanical Engineering, Ningbo University of Technology, Ningbo 315211, China
Received 5 September 2013; Accepted 12 October 2013
Academic Editor: Jianzhong Lin
Copyright © 2013 Kun Zhou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. B. Jeffery, “The motion of ellipsoidal particles immersed in a viscous fluid,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 102, no. 715, pp. 161–179, 1922.
- T. Nishimura, K. Yasuda, and K. Nakamura, “Orientation behaviour of fibers in suspension flow through a branching channel,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 279–288, 1997.
- S. B. Chen and L. Jiang, “Orientation distribution in a dilute suspension of fibers subject to simple shear flow,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 2878–2890, 1999.
- J. Z. Lin, X. Shi, and Z. S. Yu, “The motion of fibers in an evolving mixing layer,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1355–1372, 2003.
- L. Jianzhong, S. Xing, and Y. Zhenjiang, “Effects of the aspect ratio on the sedimentation of a fiber in Newtonian fluids,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 909–921, 2003.
- L. Jianzhong, Z. Weifeng, and Y. Zhaosheng, “Numerical research on the orientation distribution of fibers immersed in laminar and turbulent pipe flows,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 63–82, 2004.
- J. A. Olson, I. Frigaard, C. Chan, and J. P. Hämäläinen, “Modeling a turbulent fibre suspension flowing in a planar contraction: the one-dimensional headbox,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 51–66, 2004.
- M. Parsheh, M. L. Brown, and C. K. Aidun, “On the orientation of stiff fibres suspended in turbulent flow in a planar contraction,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 545, pp. 245–269, 2005.
- L.-X. Zhang, J.-Z. Lin, and T. L. Chan, “Orientation distribution of cylindrical particles suspended in a turbulent pipe flow,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 17, no. 9, Article ID 093105, 2005.
- J.-Z. Lin, K. Sun, and J. Lin, “Distribution of orientations in fibre suspension flowing in a turbulent boundary layer,” Chinese Physics Letters, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 3111–3114, 2005.
- J. Lin, S. Zhang, and J. A. Olson, “Effect of fibers on the flow property of turbulent fiber suspensions in a contraction,” Fibers and Polymers, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 60–65, 2007.
- Z. Shanliang, L. Jianzhong, and Z. Weifeng, “Numerical research on the fiber suspensions in a turbulent T-shaped branching channel flow,” Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 30–38, 2007.
- L. Jianzhong and K. Xiaoke, “Fiber orientation distributions in a suspension flow through a parallel plate channel containing a cylinder,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 1373–1390, 2009.
- W. Yang and K. Zhou, “A new method of simulating fiber suspensions and applications to channel flows,” Chinese Physics Letters, vol. 29, no. 6, Article ID 064702, 2012.
- J. Z. Lin, X. Y. Liang, and X. K. Ku, “A successive iteration method on predicting properties of turbulent fiber suspensions and its application to pipe flows,” Computers & Fluids, vol. 71, pp. 461–468, 2013.
- R. B. Bird, R. C. Armstrong, and O. Hassager, Dynamics of Polymeric Liquids, vol. 1 of Fluid Mechanics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1987.
- R. B. Bird, O. Hassager, R. C. Armstrong, and C. F. Curtiss, Dynamics of Polymeric Liquids, vol. 2 of Kinetic Theory, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1987.
- J. M. J. Den Toonder, M. A. Hülsen, G. D. C. Kuiken, and F. T. M. Nieuwstadt, “Drag reduction by polymer additives in a turbulent pipe flow: numerical and laboratory experiments,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 337, pp. 193–231, 1997.
- J. S. Paschkewitz, Y. Dubief, C. D. Dimitropoulos, E. S. G. Shaqfeh, and P. Moin, “Numerical simulation of turbulent drag reduction using rigid fibres,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 518, pp. 281–317, 2004.
- M. Manhart, “Rheology of suspensions of rigid-rod like particles in turbulent channel flow,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, vol. 112, no. 2-3, pp. 269–293, 2003.
- G. K. Batchelor, “The stress system in a suspension of force-free particles,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 545–570, 1970.
- G. K. Batchelor, “Slender-body theory for particles of arbitrary cross-section in Stokes flow,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 44, pp. 419–440, 1970.
- G. K. Batchelor, “The stess generated in a non-dilute suspension of elongated particles by pure straining motion,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 46, pp. 813–829, 1971.
- K. Zhou and Z. He, “Monte Carlo simulation of aerosol evolution in a planar mixing layer,” International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow. In press.
- G. I. Taylor, “The motion of ellipsoidal particles in a viscous fluid,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 103, no. 720, pp. 58–61, 1923.
- F. P. Bretherton, “The motion of rigid particles in a shear flow at low Reynolds number,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 14, pp. 284–304, 1962.
- E. Hairer, S. P. Nørsett, and G. Wanner, Solving Ordinary Differential Equations I. Nonstiff Problems, vol. 8 of Springer Series in Computational Mathematics, Springer, 2nd edition, 1993.
- X.-D. Liu, S. Osher, and T. Chan, “Weighted essentially non-oscillatory schemes,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 200–212, 1994.
- A. Attili and F. Bisetti, “Application of a robust and efficient Lagrangian particle scheme to soot transport in turbulent flames,” Computers & Fluids, vol. 84, pp. 164–175, 2013.
- K. Zhou, J. Z. Lin, and T. L. Chan, “Solution of three-dimensional fiber orientation in two-dimensional fiber suspension flows,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 19, no. 11, Article ID 113309, 2007.
- G. G. Lipscomb II, M. M. Denn, D. U. Hur, and D. V. Boger, “The flow of fiber suspensions in complex geometries,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 297–325, 1988.
- K. Zhou and J. Z. Lin, “Three dimensional fiber orientation distribution in two dimensional flows,” Fibers and Polymers, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 2008.