- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 950926, 11 pages
Optimization of Open Boundary Conditions in a 3D Internal Tidal Model with the Adjoint Method around Hawaii
1Laboratory of Physical Oceanography, Ocean University of China, Qingdao 266003, China
2Laboratory of Coast and Island Development, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
Received 4 January 2013; Accepted 13 March 2013
Academic Editor: Guanglu Zhou
Copyright © 2013 Anzhou Cao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. L. Rudnick, T. J. Boyd, R. E. Brainard et al., “From tides to mixing along the Hawaiian Ridge,” Science, vol. 301, no. 5631, pp. 355–357, 2003.
- W. Munk and C. Wunsch, “Abyssal recipes II: energetics of tidal and wind mixing,” Deep-Sea Research Part I, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 1977–2010, 1998.
- R. D. Ray and G. T. Mitchum, “Surface manifestation of internal tides generated near Hawaii,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 23, no. 16, pp. 2101–2104, 1996.
- R. D. Ray and G. T. Mitchum, “Surface manifestation of internal tides in the deep ocean: observations from altimetry and island gauges,” Progress in Oceanography, vol. 40, no. 1–4, pp. 135–162, 1997.
- W. Munk, “Once again: once again—tidal friction,” Progress in Oceanography, vol. 40, no. 1–4, pp. 7–35, 1997.
- J. P. Martin, D. L. Rudnick, and R. Pinkel, “Spatially broad observations of internal waves in the upper ocean at the Hawaiian Ridge,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1085–1103, 2006.
- Z. Zhao, M. H. Alford, J. A. Mackinnon, and R. Pinkel, “Long-range propagation of the semidiurnal internal tide from the Hawaiian Ridge,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 713–736, 2010.
- Z. Zhao, M. Alford, J. Girton, T. Johnston, and G. Carter, “Internal tides around the Hawaiian Ridge estimated from multisatellite altimetry,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 116, Article ID C12039, 2011.
- Z. Zhao, M. Alford, and J. Griton, “Mapping low-mode internal tides from mulsatellite altimetry,” Oceanography, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 42–51, 2012.
- S. K. Kang, M. G. G. Foreman, W. R. Crawford, and J. Y. Cherniawsky, “Numerical modeling of internal tide generation along the Hawaiian Ridge,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 1083–1098, 2000.
- H. Simmons, R. Hallberg, and B. Arbic, “Internal wave generation in a global baroclinic tide model,” Deep-Sea Research II, vol. 51, pp. 3043–3068, 2004.
- G. S. Carter, M. A. Merrifield, J. M. Becker et al., “Energetics of M2 barotropic-to-baroclinic tidal conversion at the Hawaiian Islands,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 2205–2223, 2008.
- B. Powell, I. Janekovic, G. Carter, and M. A. Merrifield, “Sensitivity of internal tide generation in Hawaii,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 39, Article ID L10606, 2012.
- L. Rainville, T. M. S. Johnston, G. S. Carter et al., “Interference pattern and propagation of the M2 internal tide south of the Hawaiian Ridge,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 311–325, 2010.
- E. D. Zaron and G. D. Egbert, “The impact of the M2 internal tide on data-assimilative model estimates of the surface tide,” Ocean Modelling, vol. 18, no. 3-4, pp. 210–216, 2007.
- I. Shulman, “Local data assimilation in specification of open boundary conditions,” Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1409–1419, 1997.
- I. Shulman, J. K. Lewis, A. F. Blumberg, and B. N. Kim, “Optimized boundary conditions and data assimilation with application to the M2 tide in the yellow sea,” Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1066–1071, 1998.
- V. Taillandier, V. Echevin, L. Mortier, and J. L. Devenon, “Controlling boundary conditions with a four-dimensional variational data-assimilation method in a non-stratified open coastal model,” Ocean Dynamics, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 284–298, 2004.
- P. G. J. ten Brummelhuis, A. W. Heemink, and H. F. P. van den Boogaard, “Identification of shallow sea models,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 637–665, 1993.
- E. Kazantsev, “Boundary conditions control for a shallow-water model,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 625–641, 2012.
- I. Yu. Gejadze and G. J. M. Copeland, “Open boundary control problem for Navier-Stokes equations including a free surface: adjoint sensitivity analysis,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 52, no. 8-9, pp. 1243–1268, 2006.
- R. Lardner, “Optimal assimilation of current and surface elevation data in a two-dimensional numerical tidal model,” Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 19, pp. 30–38, 1995.
- E. P. Myers and A. M. Baptista, “Inversion for tides in the Eastern North Pacific Ocean,” Advances in Water Resources, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 505–519, 2001.
- J. Zhang and X. Lu, “Inversion of three-dimensional tidal currents in marginal seas by assimilating satellite altimetry,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 199, no. 49-52, pp. 3125–3136, 2010.
- Z. Guo, A. Cao, and X. Lv, “Inverse estimation of open boundary conditions in the Bohai Sea,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 628061, 9 pages, 2012.
- A. Cao, Z. Guo, and X. Lv, “Inversion of two-dimensional tidal open boundary conditions of M2 constituent in the Bohai and Yellow Seas,” Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 868–875, 2012.
- H. Chen, C. Miao, and X. Lv, “A three-dimensional numerical internal tidal model involving adjoint method,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 69, no. 10, pp. 1584–1613, 2012.
- X. Lu and J. Zhang, “Numerical study on spatially varying bottom friction coefficient of a 2D tidal model with adjoint method,” Continental Shelf Research, vol. 26, no. 16, pp. 1905–1923, 2006.
- J. Zhang, X. Lu, P. Wang, and Y. P. Wang, “Study on linear and nonlinear bottom friction parameterizations for regional tidal models using data assimilation,” Continental Shelf Research, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 555–573, 2011.
- L. Yu and J. O'Brien, “Variational estimation of the wind stress drag coefficient and the oceanic eddy viscosity profile,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 21, pp. 709–719, 1990.
- C. Miao, H. Chen, and X. Lv, “An isopycnic-coordinate internal tide model and its application to the South China Sea,” Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1339–1356, 2011.
- M. Gunzburger, “Adjoint equation-based methods for control problems in incompressible, viscous flows,” Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, vol. 65, no. 3-4, pp. 249–272, 2000.
- G. I. Marchuk, “Perturbation theory and the statement of inverse problems,” in Fifth Conference on Optimization Techniques (Rome, 1973), vol. 4 of Lecture Notes in Comput. Sci., pp. 159–166, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1973.
- G. Marchuk, “Basic and adjoint equations of atmosphere and ocean dynamics,” MeteorologIya i GIdrologIya, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 9–37, 1974.
- D. G. Cacuci, “Sensitivity theory for nonlinear systems. II. Extensions to additional classes of responses,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 2803–2812, 1981.
- G. I. Marchuk, Adjoint Equations and Analysis of Complex Systems, vol. 295 of Mathematics and Its Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1995.
- I. M. Navon, “Practical and theoretical aspects of adjoint parameter estimation and identifiability in meteorology and oceanography,” Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans, vol. 27, no. 1–4, pp. 55–79, 1998.
- R. A. Flather, “A tidal model of the north-west European continental shelf,” Memoires de la Societe Royale des Sciences de Liege, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 141–164, 1975.