- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 105301, 9 pages
Approximating the Matrix Sign Function Using a Novel Iterative Method
1Department of Mathematics, Islamic Azad University, Shahrekord Branch, Shahrekord, Iran
2Faculty of Sciences and Mathematics, University of Niš, Višegradska 33, 18000 Niš, Serbia
3Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics, University of Venda, Private Bag X5050, Thohoyandou 0950, South Africa
Received 19 April 2014; Accepted 6 July 2014; Published 17 July 2014
Academic Editor: Juan R. Torregrosa
Copyright © 2014 F. Soleymani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. J. Higham, Functions of Matrices: Theory and Computation, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2008.
- J. L. Howland, “The sign matrix and the separation of matrix eigenvalues,” Linear Algebra and Its Applications, vol. 49, pp. 221–232, 1983.
- J. Leyva-Ramos, “A note on mode decoupling of linear time-invariant systems using the generalized sign matrix,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 219, no. 22, pp. 10817–10821, 2013.
- J. D. Roberts, “Linear model reduction and solution of the algebraic Riccati equation by use of the sign function,” International Journal of Control, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 677–687, 1980.
- Z. Bai and J. Demmel, “Using the matrix sign function to compute invariant subspaces,” SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 205–225, 1998.
- R. Byers, C. He, and V. Mehrmann, “The matrix sign function method and the computation of invariant subspaces,” SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 615–632, 1997.
- C. S. Kenney, A. J. Laub, and P. M. Papadopoulos, “Matrix-sign algorithms for Riccati equations,” IMA Journal of Mathematical Control and Information, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 331–344, 1992.
- P. Benner and E. S. Quintana-Ortí, “Solving stable generalized Lyapunov equations with the matrix sign function,” Numerical Algorithms, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 75–100, 1999.
- S. Barrachina, P. Benner, and E. S. Quintana-Ort, “Efficient algorithms for generalized algebraic Bernoulli equations based on the matrix sign function,” Numerical Algorithms, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 351–368, 2007.
- A. N. Norris, A. L. Shuvalov, and A. A. Kutsenko, “The matrix sign function for solving surface wave problems in homogeneous and laterally periodic elastic half-spaces,” Wave Motion, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1239–1250, 2013.
- B. Laszkiewicz and K. Zietak, “Algorithms for the matrix sector function,” Electronic Transactions on Numerical Analysis, vol. 31, pp. 358–383, 2008.
- C. Kenney and A. J. Laub, “Rational iterative methods for the matrix sign function,” SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 273–291, 1991.
- B. Iannazzo, Numerical solution of certain nonlinear matrix equations [Ph.D. thesis], Universita degli Studi di Pisa, Facolta di Scienze Matematiche, Fisiche e Naturali, Pisa, Italy, 2007.
- E. Schröder, “Ueber unendlich viele Algorithmen zur Auflösung der Gleichungen,” Mathematische Annalen, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 317–365, 1870.
- E. Schröder, “On infinitely many algorithms for solving equations,” Tech. Rep. TR-92-121, Department of Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park, Md, USA, 1992.
- F. Soleymani, E. Tohidi, S. Shateyi, and F. Khaksar Haghani, “Some matrix iterations for computing matrix sign function,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2014, Article ID 425654, 9 pages, 2014.
- P. Jarratt, “Some fourth order multi-point iterative methods for solving equations,” Mathematics of Computation, vol. 20, no. 95, pp. 434–437, 1966.
- A. Iliev and N. Kyurkchiev, Nontrivial Methods in Numerical Analysis: Selected Topics in Numerical Analysis, LAP Lambert, 2010.
- C. S. Kenney and A. J. Laub, “The matrix sign function,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1330–1348, 1995.
- B. Iannazzo, “A family of rational iterations and its application to the computation of the matrix pth root,” SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1445–1462, 2008.
- M. Trott, The Mathematica Guide-Book for Numerics, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2006.