- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 342893, 10 pages
Stochastic Risk and Uncertainty Analysis for Shale Gas Extraction in the Karoo Basin of South Africa
Institute for Groundwater Studies, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein 9300, South Africa
Received 4 November 2013; Accepted 9 November 2013; Published 5 February 2014
Academic Editor: Hossein Jafari
Copyright © 2014 Abdon Atangana and Gerrit van Tonder. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Mall, “Incidents where hydraulic fracturing is a suspected cause of drinking water contamination,” Switchboard, NRDC Staff Blog. Natural Resources Defense Council, 2011.
- A. Lustgarten, “Incidents where hydraulic fracturing is a suspected cause of drinking water contamination,” Pro Publica, 2008.
- D. J. Rozell and S. J. Reaven, “Water pollution risk associated with natural gas extraction from the marcellus shale,” Risk Analysis, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1382–1393, 2011.
- N. H. Afgan, P. A. Pilavachi, and M. G. Carvalho, “Multi-criteria evaluation of natural gas resources,” Energy Policy, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 704–713, 2007.
- K. Hayhoe, H. S. Kheshgi, A. K. Jain, and D. J. Wuebbles, “Substitution of natural gas for coal: climatic effects of utility sector emissions,” Climatic Change, vol. 54, no. 1-2, pp. 107–139, 2002.
- R. W. Howarth, R. Santoro, and A. Ingraffea, “Methane and the greenhouse-gas footprint of natural gas from shale formations,” Climatic Change, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 679–690, 2011.
- W. A. Ambrose, E. C. Potter, and R. Briceno, “An “unconventional” future for natural gas in the United States,” Geotimes, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 37–41, 2008.
- EIA, “Annual Energy Outlook 2007 with Projections to 2030,” Department of Energy, Energy Information Administration, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- R. D. Vidic, S. L. Brantley, J. M. Vanden bossche, D. Yoxtheimer, and J. D. Abad, “Impact of shale gas development on regional water quality,” Science, vol. 340, no. 6134, 2013.
- N. Vanderlaan, “Trends in fracking groundwater contamination litigation,” Smith LLP, Law 360, 2012.
- J. W. A. Charrois, “Private drinking water supplies: challenges for public health,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 182, no. 10, pp. 1061–1064, 2010.
- R. O. Bello, Rate transient analysis in shale gas reservoirs with transient linear behavior [Ph.D. thesis], Office of Graduate Studies of Texas A&M University, 2009.
- S. G. Osborn, A. Vengosh, N. R. Warner, and R. B. Jackson, “Methane contamination of drinking water accompanying gas-well drilling and hydraulic fracturing,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 20, pp. 8172–8176, 2011.
- A. R. Ingraffea, “Fluid migration mechanisms due to faulty well design and/or construction: an overview and recent experiences in the Pennsylvania marcellus play,” Physicians Scientists and Engineers for Healthy Energy, 2012.
- M. K. Boling, “Model regulatory framework for hydraulic fracturing operations,” Presentation, Washington, DC, USA, 2011.
- A. Atangana and J. F. Botha, “A generalized groundwater flow equation using the concept of variable-order derivative,” Boundary Value Problems, vol. 2013, article 53, 2013.
- C. V. Theis, “The relation between the lowering of the piezometric surface and the rate and duration of discharge of well using groundwater storage,” Transactions American Geophysical Union, vol. 16, pp. 519–524, 1935.
- A. Atangana, A generic assessment of waste disposal at Douala city: principle, practices and uncertainties [Ph.D. thesis], Library of the University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa, 2013.
- S. A. Bradford, M. Bettahar, J. Simunek, and M. T. van Genuchten, “Straining and attachment of colloids in physically heterogeneous porous media,” Vadose Zone Journal, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 384–394, 2004.
- G. Sin, K. V. Gernaey, and A. E. Lantz, “Good modeling practice for PAT applications: propagation of input uncertainty and sensitivity analysis,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 1043–1053, 2009.
- G. Sin, K. V. Gernaey, M. B. Neumann, M. C. M. van Loosdrecht, and W. Gujer, “Uncertainty analysis in WWTP model applications: a critical discussion using an example from design,” Water Research, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 2894–2906, 2009.
- J. C. Helton and F. J. Davis, “Latin hypercube sampling and the propagation of uncertainty in analyses of complex systems,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 23–69, 2003.
- J. C. Helton, “Uncertainty and sensitivity analysis in the presence of stochastic and subjective uncertainty,” Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, vol. 57, no. 1–4, pp. 3–76, 1997.
- J. C. Helton, “Uncertainty and sensitivity analysis techniques for use in performance assessment for radioactive waste disposal,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, vol. 42, no. 2-3, pp. 327–367, 1993.
- M. D. McKay, R. J. Beckman, and W. J. Conover, “A comparison of three methods for selecting values of input variables in the analysis of output from a computer code,” Technometrics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 239–245, 1979.
- D. E. Hocevar, M. R. Lightner, and T. N. Trick, “A study of variance reduction techniques for estimating circuit yields,” IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 180–192, 1983.
- R. L. Iman and W. J. Conover, “Small sample sensitivity analysis techniques for computer models, with an application to risk assessment,” Communications in Statistics A, vol. 9, no. 17, pp. 1749–1874, 1980.
- R. L. Iman and J. C. Helton, “An investigation of uncertainty and sensitivity analysis techniques for computer models,” Risk Analysis, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 71–90, 1988.
- R. L. Iman and W. J. Conover, “A distribution free approach to inducing rank correlation among input variables,” Communications in Statistics Simulation and Computation, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 311–334, l982.
- W. Kinzebach, Groundwater Modelling: An Introduction with Sample Programs in BASIC, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1986.
- M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Function, Docer, New York, NY, USA, 1970.