- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 457298, 7 pages
On Extremal Ranks and Least Squares Solutions Subject to a Rank Restriction
Department of Mathematics and Computational Science, Huainan Normal University, Anhui 232038, China
Received 16 February 2014; Revised 11 June 2014; Accepted 22 June 2014; Published 8 July 2014
Academic Editor: Sofiya Ostrovska
Copyright © 2014 Hongxing Wang and Yeguo Sun. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Ben-Israel and T. N. E. Greville, Generalized Inverses: Theory and Applications, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 2003.
- F. Uhlig, “On the matrix equation with applications to the generators of a controllability matrix,” Linear Algebra and its Applications, vol. 85, pp. 203–209, 1987.
- Y. Tian, “Ranks of solutions of the matrix equation ,” Linear and Multilinear Algebra, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 111–125, 2003.
- R. Li and Y. Liu, “Ranks of Hermitian solutions of the matrix equation ,” Far East Journal of Mathematical Sciences, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 117–126, 2007.
- Y. Li, F. Zhang, W. Guo, and J. Zhao, “Solutions with special structure to the linear matrix equation ,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 374–383, 2011.
- Y. H. Liu, “Ranks of solutions of the linear matrix equation ,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 52, no. 6-7, pp. 861–872, 2006.
- Q.-W. Wang and C.-K. Li, “Ranks and the least-norm of the general solution to a system of quaternion matrix equations,” Linear Algebra and Its Applications, vol. 430, no. 5-6, pp. 1626–1640, 2009.
- Q. Wang and Z. H. He, “Solvability conditions and general solution for mixed Sylvester equations,” Automatica, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 2713–2719, 2013.
- Y. H. Liu, “Ranks of least squares solutions of the matrix equation ,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1270–1278, 2008.
- K. C. Sou and A. Rantzer, “On a generalized matrix approximation problem in the spectral norm,” Linear Algebra and Its Applications, vol. 436, no. 7, pp. 2331–2341, 2012.
- M. Wei and D. Shen, “Minimum rank solutions to the matrix approximation problems in the spectral norm,” SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 940–957, 2012.
- X. F. Duan, Q. W. Wang, and J. F. Li, “On the low-rank approximation arising in the generalized Karhunen-Loeve transform,” Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2013, Article ID 528281, 8 pages, 2013.
- H. Wang and J. Xu, “Some results on characterizations of matrix partial orderings,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2014, Article ID 408457, 6 pages, 2014.
- Y. Liu and Y. Tian, “Extremal ranks of submatrices in an Hermitian solution to the matrix equation with applications,” Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computing, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 289–301, 2010.
- Y. Tian and Y. Liu, “Extremal ranks of some symmetric matrix expressions with applications,” SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 890–905, 2006.
- H. Wang, “On least squares solutions subject to a rank restriction,” Linear and Multilinear Algebra, 2014.
- M. Wei, “Perturbation theory for the Eckart-Young-Mirsky theorem and the constrained total least squares problem,” Linear Algebra and Its Applications, vol. 280, no. 1–3, pp. 267–287, 1998.
- H. Y. Zha, “The restricted singular value decomposition of matrix triplets,” SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 172–194, 1991.
- M. Wei and Q. Wang, “On rank-constrained Hermitian nonnegative-definite least squares solutions to the matrix equation ,” International Journal of Computer Mathematics, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 945–952, 2007.
- G. Marsaglia and G. P. H. Styan, “Equalities and inequalities for ranks of matrices,” Linear and Multilinear Algebra, vol. 2, pp. 269–292, 1974.
- Y. Tian, “More on maximal and minimal ranks of Schur complements with applications,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 152, no. 3, pp. 675–692, 2004.
- C. Eckart and G. Young, “The approximation of one matrix by another of lower rank,” Psychometrika, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 211–218, 1936.
- L. Mirsky, “Symmetric gauge functions and unitarily invariant norms,” The Quarterly Journal of Mathematics, vol. 11, pp. 50–59, 1960.
- G. H. Golub and C. F. van Loan, Matrix computations, vol. 3 of Johns Hopkins Series in the Mathematical Sciences, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Md, USA, 2nd edition, 1989.
- D. L. Chu, H. C. Chan, and D. W. C. Ho, “Regularization of singular systems by derivative and proportional output feedback,” SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 21–38, 1998.