- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 549189, 8 pages
Some Numerical Approaches to Solve Fluid Structure Interaction Problems in Blood Flow
Department of Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Science, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia UTM, 81310 Johor Bahru, Johor Darul Takzim, Malaysia
Received 4 October 2013; Accepted 12 January 2014; Published 23 February 2014
Academic Editor: Mohamed Fathy El-Amin
Copyright © 2014 Aik Ying Tang and Norsarahaida Amin. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. J. Paik, Simulation of fluid-structure interaction for surface ships with linear/nonlinear deformations [Ph.D. thesis], University of Iowa, 2010, http://ir.uiowa.edu/etd/569.
- Z. Mortazavinia, A. Zare, and A. Mehdizadeh, “Effects of renal artery stenosis on realistic model of abdominal aorta and renal arteries incorporating fluid-structure interaction and pulsatile non-Newtonian blood flow,” Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 165–176, 2012.
- W. Zhang, C. Herrera, S. N. Atluri, and G. S. Kassab, “Effect of surrounding tissue on vessel fluid and solid mechanics,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 760–769, 2004.
- V. Kanyanta, A. Ivankovic, and A. Karac, “Validation of a fluid-structure interaction numerical model for predicting flow transients in arteries,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1705–1712, 2009.
- P. K. Siogkas, A. I. Sakellarios, T. P. Exarchos et al., “Blood flow in arterial segments: rigid vs. deformable walls simulations,” Journal of the Serbian Society for Computational Mechanics, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 69–77, 2011.
- M. H. Friedman, R. Krams, and K. B. Chandran, “Flow interactions with cells and tissues: cardiovascular flows and fluid-structure interactions: sixth international bio-fluid mechanics symposium and workshop, March 28–30, 2008, Pasadena, California,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 1178–1187, 2010.
- K. W. Lee and X. Y. Xu, “Modelling of flow and wall behaviour in a mildly stenosed tube,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 575–586, 2002.
- S. Badia, A. Quaini, and A. Quarteroni, “Splitting methods based on algebraic factorization for fluid-structure interaction,” SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1778–1805, 2008.
- G. Guidoboni, R. Glowinski, N. Cavallini, S. Čanić, and S. Lapin, “A kinematically coupled time-splitting scheme for fluid-structure interaction in blood flow,” Applied Mathematics Letters, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 684–688, 2009.
- G. Guidoboni, R. Glowinski, N. Cavallini, and S. Čanić, “Stable loosely-coupled-type algorithm for fluid-structure interaction in blood flow,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 228, no. 18, pp. 6916–6937, 2009.
- M. Bukač, S. Čanić, R. Glowinski, J. Tambača, and A. Quaini, “Fluid-structure interaction in blood flow capturing non-zero longitudinal structure displacement,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 235, pp. 515–541, 2013.
- A. Quarteroni and L. Formaggia, “Mathematical modelling and numerical simulation of the cardiovascular system,” in Modelling of Living Systems, vol. 12 of Handbook of Numerical Analysis, pp. 3–127, North-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2004.
- L. Formaggia, J. F. Gerbeau, F. Nobile, and A. Quarteroni, “On the coupling of 3D and 1D Navier-Stokes equations for flow problems in compliant vessels,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 191, no. 6-7, pp. 561–582, 2001.
- L. Formaggia, D. Lamponi, and A. Quarteroni, “One-dimensional models for blood flow in arteries,” Journal of Engineering Mathematics, vol. 47, no. 3-4, pp. 251–276, 2003.
- F. Nobile and C. Vergara, “An effective fluid-structure interaction formulation for vascular dynamics by generalized Robin conditions,” SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 731–763, 2008.
- P. Causin, J. F. Gerbeau, and F. Nobile, “Added-mass effect in the design of partitioned algorithms for fluid-structure problems,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 194, no. 42–44, pp. 4506–4527, 2005.
- S. Čanić, A. Mikelić, and J. Tambača, “A two-dimensional effective model describing fluid-structure interaction in blood flow: analysis, simulation and experimental validation,” Comptes Rendus, vol. 333, no. 12, pp. 867–883, 2005.
- S. Čanić, J. Tambača, G. Guidoboni, A. Mikelić, C. J. Hartley, and D. Rosenstrauch, “Modeling viscoelastic behavior of arterial walls and their interaction with pulsatile blood flow,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 164–193, 2006.
- S. Čanić, C. J. Hartley, D. Rosenstrauch, J. Tambaca, G. Guidoboni, and A. Mikelic, “Blood flow in compliant arteries: an effective viscoelastic reduced model, numerics, and experimental validation,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 575–575, 2006.
- M. Heil, A. L. Hazel, and J. Boyle, “Solvers for large-displacement fluid-structure interaction problems: segregated versus monolithic approaches,” Computational Mechanics, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 91–101, 2008.
- C. Michler, S. J. Hulshoff, E. H. van Brummelen, and R. de Borst, “A monolithic approach to fluid-structure interaction,” Computers and Fluids, vol. 33, no. 5-6, pp. 839–848, 2004.
- M. Heil, “An efficient solver for the fully coupled solution of large-displacement fluid-structure interaction problems,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 193, no. 1-2, pp. 1–23, 2004.
- J. Degroote, P. Bruggeman, R. Haelterman, and J. Vierendeels, “Stability of a coupling technique for partitioned solvers in FSI applications,” Computers and Structures, vol. 86, no. 23-24, pp. 2224–2234, 2008.
- J. Degroote, R. Haelterman, S. Annerel, P. Bruggeman, and J. Vierendeels, “Performance of partitioned procedures in fluid-structure interaction,” Computers and Structures, vol. 88, no. 7-8, pp. 446–457, 2010.
- S. R. Idelsohn, F. Del Pin, R. Rossi, and E. Oñate, “Fluid-structure interaction problems with strong added-mass effect,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 1261–1294, 2009.
- C. Andersson and D. Ahl, Fluid structure interaction—evaluation of two coupling techniques [M.S. thesis], School of Information Science, Computer and Electrical Engineering Halmstad University, 2011.
- G. Hou, J. Wang, and A. Layton, “Numerical methods for fluid-structure interaction—a review,” Communications in Computational Physics, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 337–377, 2012.
- E. Burman and M. A. Fernández, “Stabilized explicit coupling for fluid-structure interaction using Nitsche's method,” Comptes Rendus Mathématique, vol. 345, no. 8, pp. 467–472, 2007.
- F. Nobile and C. Vergara, “Partitioned algorithms for fluid-structure interaction problems in haemodynamics,” Milan Journal of Mathematics, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 443–467, 2012.
- M. A. Fernández, J.-F. Gerbeau, and C. Grandmont, “A projection algorithm for fluid-structure interaction problems with strong added-mass effect,” Comptes Rendus Mathématique, vol. 342, no. 4, pp. 279–284, 2006.
- M. A. Fernández, J.-F. Gerbeau, and C. Grandmont, “A projection semi-implicit scheme for the coupling of an elastic structure with an incompressible fluid,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 794–821, 2007.
- L. Formaggia, A. Moura, and F. Nobile, “On the stability of the coupling of 3D and 1D fluid-structure interaction models for blood flow simulations,” ESAIM: Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 743–769, 2007.
- G. Guidoboni, R. Glowinski, S. Čanić, N. Cavallini, and M. Bukac, “Modeling of free boundary flows with applications to blood flow,” in Proceedings of the IV European Conference on Computational Mechanics (ECCM '10), Paris, France, 2010.
- M. S. G. Sieber, Numerical simulation of fluid-structure interaction using loose coupling methods [Ph.D. thesis], Technical University Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Germany, 2001.
- S. Čanić, D. Lamponi, A. Mikelić, and J. Tambača, “Self-consistent effective equations modeling blood flow in medium-to-large compliant arteries,” Multiscale Modeling & Simulation, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 559–596, 2005.
- F. Yilmaz and M. Y. Gundogdu, “A critical review on blood flow in large arteries; relevance to blood rheology, viscosity models, and physiologic conditions,” Korea Australia Rheology Journal, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 197–211, 2008.
- F. Nobile, Numerical approximation of fluid-structure interaction problems with application to haemodynamics [Ph.D. thesis], EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2001.
- S. Deparis, M. A. Fernández, and L. Formaggia, “Acceleration of a fixed point algorithm for fluid-structure interaction using transpiration conditions,” ESAIM: Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 601–616, 2003.
- J. Vierendeels, L. Lanoye, J. Degroote, and P. Verdonck, “Implicit coupling of partitioned fluid-structure interaction problems with reduced order models,” Computers and Structures, vol. 85, no. 11–14, pp. 970–976, 2007.
- J. Hron and S. Turek, “A monolithic FEM/multigrid solver for an ALE formulation of fluid-structure interaction with applications in biomechanics,” in Fluid-Structure Interaction, vol. 53 of Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering, pp. 146–170, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- J. Hron and M. Mádlík, “Fluid-structure interaction with applications in biomechanics,” Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applications, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1431–1458, 2007.
- M. Razzaq, S. Turek, J. Hron et al., Numerical Simulation and Benchmarking of Fluid Structure Interaction with Application to Hemodynamics, Technical University, Fakultät für Mathematik, 2009.
- M. Razzaq, S. Turek, J. Hron et al., Numerical Simulation of Fluid Structure Interaction with Application to Aneurysm Hemodynamics, Technical University, Fakultät für Mathematik, 2009.
- M. Astorino, F. Chouly, and M. A. Fernández, “An added-mass free semi-implicit coupling scheme for fluid-structure interaction,” Comptes Rendus Mathématique, vol. 347, no. 1-2, pp. 99–104, 2009.
- M. Lukáčová-Medvid'ová, G. Rusnáková, and A. Hundertmark-Zaušková, “Kinematic splitting algorithm for fluid-structure interaction in hemodynamics,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 265, pp. 83–106, 2013.
- J. Janela, A. Moura, and A. Sequeira, “A 3D non-Newtonian fluid-structure interaction model for blood flow in arteries,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 234, no. 9, pp. 2783–2791, 2010.
- J. Janela, A. Moura, and A. Sequeira, “Absorbing boundary conditions for a 3D non-Newtonian fluid-structure interaction model for blood flow in arteries,” International Journal of Engineering Science, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 1332–1349, 2010.