- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Abstract and Applied Analysis
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 762184, 15 pages
Comparison of the Finite Volume and Lattice Boltzmann Methods for Solving Natural Convection Heat Transfer Problems inside Cavities and Enclosures
1Department of Software Engineering, Faculty of Computer Science & Information Technology, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3Department of Mechanical Engineering, Najafabad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Isfahan, Iran
4School of Mechanical and Mining Engineering, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Received 28 September 2013; Revised 22 November 2013; Accepted 24 November 2013; Published 9 February 2014
Academic Editor: Mohamed Fathy El-Amin
Copyright © 2014 M. Goodarzi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. S. Mirhashemi and S. H. Hashemabadi, “Experimental and CFD study of wall effects on orderly stacked cylindrical particles heat transfer in a tube channel,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 449–455, 2012.
- C. Bellecci, P. Gaudio, I. Lupelli et al., “Loss of vacuum accident (LOVA): comparison of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) flow velocities against experimental data for the model validation,” Fusion Engineering and Design, vol. 86, no. 4-5, pp. 330–340, 2011.
- M. Selmi, M. J. Al-Khawaja, and A. Marafia, “Validation of CFD simulation for flat plate solar energy collector,” Renewable Energy, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 383–387, 2008.
- A. G. Dixon, G. Walls, H. Stanness, M. Nijemeisland, and E. H. Stitt, “Experimental validation of high Reynolds number CFD simulations of heat transfer in a pilot-scale fixed bed tube,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 200, pp. 344–356, 2012.
- Z. Zhang and X. Zhang, “Direct simulation of low-re flow around a square cylinder by numerical manifold method for Navier-Stokes equations,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2012, Article ID 465972, 14 pages, 2012.
- J. Nordström, J. Gong, E. van der Weide, and M. Svärd, “A stable and conservative high order multi-block method for the compressible Navier-Stokes equations,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 228, no. 24, pp. 9020–9035, 2009.
- Z. Chen and L. Zhang, “A stabilized mixed finite element method for single-phase compressible flow,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2011, Article ID 129724, 2011.
- S. Boivin, F. Cayré, and J. Hérard, “A finite volume method to solve the Navier-Stokes equations for incompressible flows on unstructured meshes,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 806–821, 2000.
- X. Liu, H. Liu, and Y. Liu, “Simulation of magnetorheological fluids based on Lattice Boltzmann method with double meshes,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2012, Article ID 567208, 16 pages, 2012.
- A. A. Mohamad, Lattice Boltzmann Method: Fundamentals and Engineering Applications with Computer Codes, Springer, 2011.
- Y. Shi, T. S. Zhao, and Z. L. Guo, “Lattice Boltzmann method for incompressible flows with large pressure gradients,” Physical Review E, vol. 73, no. 2, Article ID 026704, 2006.
- A. Karimipour, A. H. Nezhad, A. D'Orazio, and E. Shirani, “The effects of inclination angle and prandtl number on the mixed convection in the inclined lid driven cavity using lattice boltzmann method,” Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 447–462, 2013.
- A. Rouboa and E. Monteiro, “Heat transfer in multi-block grid during solidification: performance of finite differences and finite volume methods,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 204, no. 1–3, pp. 451–458, 2008.
- A. Karimipour, M. Afrand, M. Akbari, and M. R. Safaei, “Simulation of fluid flow and heat transfer in the inclined enclosure,” in Proceedings of the World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 2012.
- F. Garoosi, G. Bagheri, and F. Talebi, “Numerical simulation of natural convection of nanofluids in a square cavity with several pairs of heaters and coolers (HACs) inside,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 67, pp. 362–376, 2013.
- H. Bararnia, K. Hooman, and D. D. Ganji, “Natural convection in a nanofluids-filled portioned cavity: the lattice-boltzmann method,” Numerical Heat Transfer A, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 487–502, 2011.
- G. Imani, M. Maerefat, and K. Hooman, “Lattice Boltzmann simulation of conjugate heat transfer from multiple heated obstacles mounted in a walled parallel plate channel,” Numerical Heat Transfer A, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 798–821, 2012.
- Z. Tian, C. Zou, H. J. Liu, Z. H. Liu, Z. L. Guo, and C. G. Zheng, “Thermal lattice boltzmann model with viscous heat dissipation in the incompressible limit,” International Journal of Modern Physics C, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1131–1139, 2006.
- Q. Zou and X. He, “On pressure and velocity boundary conditions for the lattice Boltzmann BGK model,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1591–1596, 1997.
- S. V. Patankar, Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, Taylor & Francis, 1980.
- M. R. Safaei, B. Rahmanian, and M. Goodarzi, “Numerical study of laminar mixed convection heat transfer of power-law non-Newtonian fluids in square enclosures by finite volume method,” International Journal of Physical Sciences, vol. 6, no. 33, pp. 7456–7470, 2011.
- M. R. Safaei, H. R. Goshayeshi, B. S. Razavi, and M. Goodarzi, “Numerical investigation of laminar and turbulent mixed convection in a shallow water-filled enclosure by various turbulence methods,” Scientific Research and Essays, vol. 6, no. 22, pp. 4826–4838, 2011.
- M. Goodarzi, M. R. Safaei, K. Vafai et al., “Investigation of nanofluid mixed convection in a shallow cavity using a two-phase mixture model,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 75, pp. 204–220, 2014.
- S. S. Mousavi and K. Hooman, “Heat and fluid flow in entrance region of a channel with staggered baffles,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 47, no. 15-16, pp. 2011–2019, 2006.
- W. Q. Tao, Y. L. He, Z. Y. Li, and Z. G. Qu, “Some recent advances in finite volume approach and their applications in the study of heat transfer enhancement,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 623–643, 2005.
- P. Forooghi and K. Hooman, “Numerical study of turbulent convection in inclined pipes with significant buoyancy influence,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 310–322, 2013.
- M. R. Safaei, M. Goodarzi, and M. Mohammadi, “Numerical modeling of turbulence mixed convection heat transfer in air filled enclosures by finite volume method,” International Journal of Multiphysics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 307–324, 2011.
- H. Goshayeshi, M. R. Safaei, and Y. Maghmoumi, “Numerical simulation of unsteady turbulent and laminar mixed convection in rectangular enclosure with hot upper moving wall by finite volume method,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Chemical Engineering Congress and Exhibition (IChEC '09), Kish Island, Iran, 2009.
- N. Lancial, F. Beaubert, S. Harmand, and G. Rolland, “Effects of a turbulent wall jet on heat transfer over a non-confined backward-facing step,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 44, pp. 336–347, 2013.
- S. Hou, Q. Zou, S. Chen, G. Doolen, and A. C. Cogley, “Simulation of cavity flow by the lattice Boltzmann method,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 329–347, 1995.
- A. D'Orazio, C. Arrighetti, and S. Succi, Kinetic Scheme for Fluid Flows with Heat Transfer, University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Roma, Italy, 2003.
- R. Krane and J. Jessee, “Some detailed field measurements for a natural convection flow in a vertical square enclosure,” in Proceedings of the 1st ASME-JSME Thermal Engineering Joint Conference, pp. 323–329, 1983.
- Y. Bakhshan and S. H. Emrani, “Investigating the behavior of nanofluids in a rectangular enclosure in order to enhance the heat transfer coefficient,” Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research and Essays, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 976–986, 2013.
- K. Khanafer, K. Vafai, and M. Lightstone, “Buoyancy-driven heat transfer enhancement in a two-dimensional enclosure utilizing nanofluids,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 46, no. 19, pp. 3639–3653, 2003.
- H. F. Oztop and E. Abu-Nada, “Numerical study of natural convection in partially heated rectangular enclosures filled with nanofluids,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1326–1336, 2008.
- J. M. Buick and C. A. Created, “Gravity in a lattice Boltzmann model,” Physical Review E, vol. 61, no. 5 A, pp. 5307–5320, 2000.
- X. He and L. Luo, “Lattice Boltzmann model for the incompressible Navier-Stokes equation,” Journal of Statistical Physics, vol. 88, no. 3-4, pp. 927–944, 1997.
- W. Tao, Recent Advances in Computational Heat Transfer, Science Press, Beijing, China, 2000.
- G. Barakos, E. Mitsoulis, and D. Assimacopoulos, “Natural convection flow in a square cavity revisited: laminar and turbulent models with wall functions,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 695–719, 1994.
- N. C. Markatos and K. A. Pericleous, “Laminar and turbulent natural convection in an enclosed cavity,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 755–772, 1984.
- G. de Vahl Davis, “Natural convection of air in a square cavity: a bench mark numerical solution,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 249–264, 1983.
- T. Fusegi, J. M. Hyun, K. Kuwahara, and B. Farouk, “A numerical study of three-dimensional natural convection in a differentially heated cubical enclosure,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1543–1557, 1991.
- A. Karimipour, A. H. Nezhad, A. D'Orazio, and E. Shirani, “Investigation of the gravity effects on the mixed convection heat transfer in a microchannel using lattice Boltzmann method,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 54, pp. 142–152, 2012.