- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Artificial Intelligence
Volume 2008 (2008), Article ID 793058, 12 pages
Access Network Selection Based on Fuzzy Logic and Genetic Algorithms
Faculty of Computing Sciences and Engineering, De Montfort University, Leicester LE1 9BH, UK
Received 17 September 2007; Accepted 20 February 2008
Academic Editor: Adel Alimi
Copyright © 2008 Mohammed Alkhawlani and Aladdin Ayesh. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Zander and S. Kim, Radio Resource Management for Wireless Networks, Artech House, Boston, Mass, USA, 2001.
- J. Pérez-Romero, O. Sallent, R. Agustí, and M. A. Díaz-Guerra, Radio Resource Management Strategies in UMTS, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- M. Cardei, I. Cardei, and D.-Z. Du, Resource Management in Wireless Networking, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- 3GPP TR 25.881, “Improvement of RRM across RNS and RNS/BSS,” (Release 5), v5.0.0.
- 3GPP TR 25.891, “Improvement of RRM across RNS and RNS/BSS,” (Post Rel-5), v0.3.0.
- A. Tlli, P. Hakalin, and H. Holma, “Performance evaluation of common radio resource management (CRRM),” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '02), vol. 5, pp. 3429–3433, New York, NY, USA, April-May 2002.
- IST, “Evolutionary Strategies for Radio Resource Management in Cellular Heterogeneous Networks,” (EVEREST) Project, http://www.everest-ist.upc.es/.
- IST, “End to End Reconfigurability,” (E2R) Project, http://e2r.motlabs.com/.
- IST, “Wireless World Initiative New Radio,” (WINNER) Project, http://www.ist-winner.org/.
- IST, “Smart user-centric communications environment,” (SCOUT) Project, http://www.ist-scout.org/.
- IST, “Transparently Reconfigurable Ubiquitous Terminal,” (TRUST) Project, http://www.ist-trust.org/.
- Y. Gwon, D. Funato, and A. Takeshita, “Adaptive approach for locally optimized IP handoffs across heterogeneous wireless networks,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Mobile and Wireless Communications Network (MWCN '02), pp. 475–479, Stockholm, Sweden, September 2002.
- M. Ylianttila, M. Pande, J. Mäkelä, and P. Mähönen, “Optimization scheme for mobile users performing vertical handoffs between IEEE 802.11 and GPRS/EDGE networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '01), vol. 6, pp. 3439–3443, San Antonio, Tex, USA, November 2001.
- H. S. Park, S. H. Yoon, T. H. Kim, J. S. Park, M. S. Do, and J. Y. Lee, “Vertical handoff procedure and algorithm between IEEE802.11 WLAN and CDMA cellular network,” in Proceedings of the 7th CDMA International Conference on Mobile Communications (CIC '02), pp. 103–112, Seoul, Korea, October-November 2002.
- W. Song, H. Jiang, W. Zhuang, and X. Shen, “Resource management for QoS support in cellular/WLAN interworking,” IEEE Network, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 12–18, 2005.
- X. Gelabert, J. Pérez-Romero, O. Sallent, R. Agustí, and F. Casadevall, “Radio resource management in heterogeneous networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Working Conference on Performance Modelling and Evaluation of Heterogeneous Networks ( HET-NETs '05), Ilkley, UK, July 2005.
- K. Murray and D. Pesch, “Policy based access management and handover control in heterogeneous wireless networks,” in Proceedings of the 60th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '04), vol. 5, pp. 3319–3323, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, September 2004.
- J. Ylitalo, T. Jokikyyny, T. Kauppinen, A. J. Tuominen, and J. Laine, “Dynamic network interface selection in mobile hosts,” in Proceedings of the 36th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS '03), pp. 315–324, Big Island, Hawaii, USA, January 2003.
- F. Bari and V. Leung, “Application of ELECTRE to network selection in a hetereogeneous wireless network environment,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC '07), pp. 3810–3815, Kowloon, Hong Kong, March 2007.
- F. Bari and V. Leung, “Multi-attribute network selection by iterative TOPSIS for heterogeneous wireless access,” in Proceedings of the 4th IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC '07), pp. 808–812, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, January 2007.
- T. Al-Gizawi, K. Peppas, D. I. Axiotis, E. N. Protonotarios, and F. Lazarakis, “Interoperability criteria, mechanisms, and evaluation of system performance for transparently interoperating WLAN and UMTS-HSDPA networks,” IEEE Network, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 66–72, 2005.
- R. Pintenet, J. Gosteau, T. Al-Gizawi, F. Lazarakis, K. Peppas, and A. Alexiou, “Evaluation of interoperability mechanisms for coexisting HSDPA and WLAN enhanced with MTMR techniques,” in Proceedings of the 58th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '03), vol. 3, pp. 1807–1811, Orlando, Fla, USA, October 2003.
- L. Liang, H. Wang, and P. Zhang, “Net utility-based network selection scheme in CDMA cellular/WLAN integrated networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC '07), pp. 3313–3317, Kowloon, Hong Kong, March 2007.
- L. Giupponi, R. Agustí, J. Pérez-Romero, and O. Sallent, “A novel joint radio resource management approach with reinforcement learning mechanisms,” in Proceedings of the 24th IEEE International Performance, Computing, and Communications Conference (IPCCC '05), pp. 621–626, Phoenix, Ariz, USA, April 2005.
- R. Agustí, O. Sallent, J. Pérez-Romero, and L. Giupponi, “A fuzzy neural based approach for joint radio resource management in a B3G framework,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Quality of Service in Heterogeneous Wired/Wireless Networks (QSHINE '04), pp. 216–224, Dallas, Tex, USA, October 2004.
- A. Wilson, A. Lenaghan, and R. Malyan, “Optimizing wireless access network selection to maintain QoS in heterogeneous wireless environments,” in Proceedings of the Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC '05), Aalborg, Denmark, September 2005.
- R. L. Haupt and S. E. Haupt, Practical Genetic Algorithms, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.