- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Artificial Neural Systems
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 607374, 8 pages
Quasi-Non-Destructive Evaluation of Yield Strength Using Neural Networks
Department of Applied Mechanics, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India
Received 26 January 2011; Accepted 17 April 2011
Academic Editor: Ping Feng Pai
Copyright © 2011 G. Partheepan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. E. Haque and K. V. Sudhakar, “ANN back-propagation prediction model for fracture toughness in microalloy steel,” International Journal of Fatigue, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1003–1010, 2002.
- J. R. Foulds and R. Viswanathan, “Determination of the toughness of in-service steam turbine disks using small punch testing,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 614–619, 2001.
- G. E. Lucas, “Review of small specimen test techniques for irradiation testing,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 21, pp. 1105–1119, 1990.
- F. M. Huang, M. L. Hamilton, and G. L. Wire, “Bend testing for miniature disks,” Nuclear Technology, vol. 57, pp. 234–242, 1982.
- X. Mao and H. Takahashi, “Development of a further-miniaturized specimen of 3 mm diameter for Tem disk small punch tests,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 42–52, 1987.
- X. Mao, M. Saito, and H. Takahashi, “Small punch test to predict ductile fracture toughness and brittle fracture toughness ,” Scripta Metallurgica et Materiala, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2481–2485, 1991.
- P. S. Kullen, H. H. Smith, and D. J. Michel, “The shear punch measurement of the mechanical properties of selected unirradiated and irradiated alloys,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, vol. 158, pp. 57–63, 1988.
- R. K. Pandey and S. Bhowmick, “Studies on miniature test techniques for the assessment of residual life,” in Proceedings of Trends in Mechanical Engineering Education and Research, pp. 542–547, New Delhi, India, 1999.
- A. Husain, Determination of mechanical behaviour of materials using miniature specimen test technique and finite element method, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi, India, 2003.
- C. C. Tsao, “Prediction of flank wear of different coated drills for JIS SUS 304 stainless steel using neural network,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 354–360, 2002.
- M. S. Ozerdem and S. Kolukisa, “Artificial neural network approach to predict the mechanical properties of Cu—Sn—Pb—Zn—Ni cast alloys,” Materials and Design, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 764–769, 2009.
- M. S. Ozerdem and S. Kolukisa, “Artificial Neural Network approach to predict mechanical properties of hot rolled, nonresulfurized, AISI 10xx series carbon steel bars,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 199, no. 1–3, pp. 437–439, 2008.
- S. Forouzan and A. Akbarzadeh, “Prediction of effect of thermo-mechanical parameters on mechanical properties and anisotropy of aluminum alloy AA3004 using artificial neural network,” Materials and Design, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1678–1684, 2007.
- M. Li, X. Liu, and A. Xiong, “Prediction of the mechanical properties of forged TC11 titanium alloy by ANN,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2002.
- Z. Guo and W. Sha, “Modelling the correlation between processing parameters and properties of maraging steels using artificial neural network,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 12–28, 2004.
- S. Malinov, W. Sha, and J. J. McKeown, “Modelling the correlation between processing parameters and properties in titanium alloys using artificial neural network,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 375–394, 2001.
- J. McBride, S. Malinov, and W. Sha, “Modelling tensile properties of gamma-based titanium aluminides using artificial neural network,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 384, no. 1-2, pp. 129–137, 2004.
- C. Z. Huang, L. Zhang, L. He et al., “A study on the prediction of the mechanical properties of a ceramic tool based on an artificial neural network,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 129, no. 1–3, pp. 399–402, 2002.
- Z. Zhang, P. Klein, and K. Friedrich, “Dynamic mechanical properties of PTFE based short carbon fibre reinforced composites: experiment and artificial neural network prediction,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 62, no. 7-8, pp. 1001–1009, 2002.
- Q. Zeng, J. Zu, L. Zhang, and G. Dai, “Designing expert system with artificial neural networks for in situ toughened Si3N4,” Materials and Design, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 287–290, 2002.
- M. Perzyk and A. W. Kochański, “Prediction of ductile cast iron quality by artificial neural networks,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 305–307, 2001.
- P. Myllykoski, J. Larkiola, and J. Nylander, “Development of prediction model for mechanical properties of batch annealed thin steel strip by using artificial neural network modeling,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 60, no. 1–4, pp. 399–404, 1996.
- N. Huber and C. Tsakmakis, “Determination of constitutive properties from spherical indentation data using neural networks. Part II: the case of pure kinematic hardening in plasticity laws,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 1589–1607, 1999.
- M. Abendroth and M. Kuna, “Determination of deformation and failure properties of ductile materials by means of the small punch test and neural networks,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 28, no. 3-4, pp. 633–644, 2003.
- G. Partheepan, Determination of mechanical properties of materials using newly developed dumb-bell shaped miniature specimen and numerical techniques, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi, India, 2006.
- G. Partheepan, D. K. Sehgal, and R. K. Pandey, “Design and usage of a simple miniature specimen test setup for the evaluation of mechanical properties,” International Journal of Microstructure and Materials Properties, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 38–50, 2005.
- K. Chakraborty, K. Mehrotra, C. K. Mohan, and S. Ranka, “Forecasting the behavior of multivariate time series using neural networks,” Neural Networks, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 961–970, 1992.
- M. Çöl, H. M. Ertunç, and M. Yilmaz, “An artificial neural network model for toughness properties in microalloyed steel in consideration of industrial production conditions,” Materials and Design, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 488–495, 2007.
- L. Fausett, Fundamentals of Neural Networks: Architectures, Algorithms, and Applications, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, NJ, USA, 1994.
- K. Hibbit and Sorensen Inc., ABAQUS Users Manual I–II version 6.3, USA, 2002.
- G. Partheepan, D. K. Sehgal, and R. K. Pandey, “Finite element application to estimate in-service material properties using dumb-bell miniature specimen,” in Proceedings of the First International Conference on Advances and Trends of Engineering Materials and Their Applications (AES-ATEMA '07), pp. 369–377, Montreal, Canada, August 2007.
- ASTM Standard Test Method for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials, E8-03, Annual book of ASTM standard, 2003.
- A. Husain, D. K. Sehgal, and R. K. Pandey, “An inverse finite element procedure for the determination of constitutive tensile behavior of materials using miniature specimen,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 31, no. 1-2, pp. 84–92, 2004.