- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Acoustics and Vibration
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 681787, 19 pages
The Dynamics of a Ringing Church Bell
Department of Engineering,
University of Cambridge, Trumpington Street, Cambridge CB2 1PZ, UK
Received 29 October 2012; Accepted 30 November 2012
Academic Editor: Emil Manoach
Copyright © 2012 J. Woodhouse et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. H. Fletcher and T. D. Rossing, The Physics of Musical Instruments, Springer, 1991.
- W. G. Wilson, Change Ringing, Faber, London, UK, 1965.
- F. H. King, J. W. McClenahan, and B. D. Threlfall, “The clappering of a bell,” The Ringing World, vol. 61, no. 2846, p. 744, 1965.
- C. H. Hodges, J. Power, and J. Woodhouse, “The use of the sonogram in structural acoustics and an application to the vibrations of cylindrical shells,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 203–218, 1985.
- K. L. Johnson, Contact Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, 1987.
- N. H. Fletcher, W. T. McGee, and A. Z. Tarnopolsky, “Bell clapper impact dynamics and the voicing of a carillon,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 1437–1444, 2002.
- J. Klemenc, A. Rupp, and M. Fajdiga, “Dynamics of a clapper-to-bell impact,” International Journal of Impact Engineering, vol. 44, pp. 29–39, 2012.
- J. W. S. Rayleigh, Theory of Sound, Volume 1, Dover Publications, New York, NY, USA, 1945.
- W. J. Stronge, Impact Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- W. J. Stronge, “Rigid body collisions with friction,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 431, pp. 169–181, 1990.
- D. J. Ewins, Modal Testing: Theory, Practice and Application, Research Studies Press, 2000.
- B. C. J. Moore, An Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing, Elsevier Academic Press, 2004.