- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Acoustics and Vibration
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 905461, 16 pages
Application of a Beamforming Technique to the Measurement of Airfoil Leading Edge Noise
Aeroacoustics Group, Brandenburg University of Technology, 03046 Cottbus, Germany
Received 15 July 2011; Accepted 26 October 2011
Academic Editor: Akira Ikuta
Copyright © 2012 Thomas Geyer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. J. Sharland, “Sources of noise in axial flow fans,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 302–322, 1964.
- F. W. Grosveld, “Prediction of broadband noise from horizontal axis wind turbines,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 292–299, 1985.
- M. R. Fink, “Investigation of scrubbing and impingement noise,” Tech. Rep. NASA Contractor Report CR-134762, 1975.
- M. R. Fink, “Experimental evaluation of trailing edge and incidence uctuation noise theories,” in the 13th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 1975, AIAA- paper 75-206.
- R. K. Amiet, “Acoustic radiation from an airfoil in a turbulent stream,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 407–420, 1975.
- R. W. Paterson and R. K. Amiet, “Acoustic radiation and surface pressure characteristics of an airfoil due to incident turbulence,” Tech. Rep. NASA Contractor Report CR-2733, 1976.
- M. V. Lowson, “Assessment and prediction of wind turbine noise,” Tech. Rep. Flow Solutions Ltd Contractor Report 92/19, 1992.
- S. Oerlemans, “Wind tunnel aeroacoustic tests of six airfoils for use on small wind turbines,” Tech. Rep. NREL/SR-500-35339, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, August 2004.
- S. Oerlemans and P. Migliore, “Aeroacoustic wind tunnel tests of wind turbine airfoils,” Tech. Rep. NLR-TP-2004-319, National Aerospace Laboratory, 2004.
- S. Moreau and M. Roger, “Effect of angle of attack and airfoil shape on turbulence-interaction noise,” in the 11th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, vol. 3, pp. 2178–2198, March 2005.
- J. K. Staubs, Real Airfoil Effects on Leading Edge Noise, Ph.D. thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2008.
- F. V. Hutcheson, T. F. Brooks, C. L. Burley, and D. J. Stead, “Measurement of the noise resulting from the interaction of turbulence with a lifting surface,” in the 17th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, 2011, AIAA-paper 2011-2907.
- P. Sijtsma, “Clean based on spatial source coherence,” in the 13th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, 2007, AIAA-paper 2007-3436.
- E. Sarradj, C. Fritzsche, T. Geyer, and J. Giesler, “Acoustic and aerodynamic design and characterization of a small-scale aeroacoustic wind tunnel,” Applied Acoustics, vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 1073–1080, 2009.
- J. O. Hinze, Turbulence, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1975.
- J. S. Bendat and A. G. Piersol, Random Data—Analysis and Measurement Procedures, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2000.
- G. G. Katul and M. B. Parlange, “Analysis of land surface heat fluxes using the orthonormal wavelet approach,” Water Resources Research, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 2743–2749, 1995.
- P. L. O'Neill, D. Nicolaides, D. Honnery, and J. Soria, “Autocorrelation functions and the determination of integral length with reference to experimental and numerical data,” in the 15th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, 2004.
- P. E. Roach, “The generation of nearly isotropic turbulence by means of grids,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 82–92, 1987.
- O. Ertunc, Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Axisymmetric Turbulence, Ph.D. thesis, Technical University Erlangen-Nürnberg, 2007.
- T. Geyer, E. Sarradj, and C. Fritzsche, “Measurement of the noise generation at the trailing edge of porous airfoils,” Experiments in Fluids, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 291–308, 2010.
- T. Geyer, E. Sarradj, and C. Fritzsche, “Porous airfoils: noise reduction and boundary layer effects,” International Journal of Aeroacoustics, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 787–820, 2010.
- ISO 9053, “Acoustics - materials for acoustical applications - determination of airow resistance,” Tech. Rep., International Organization for Standardization, 1993.
- R. Dougherty, “Beamforming in acoustic testing,” in Aeroacoustic Measurements, pp. 62–97, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2002.
- T. Suzuki, “A review of diagnostic studies on jet-noise sources and generation mechanisms of subsonically convecting jets,” Fluid Dynamics Research, vol. 42, no. 1, Article ID 014001, 2010.
- S. Oerlemans, L. Broersma, and P. Sijtsma, “Quantification of airframe noise using microphone arrays in open and closed wind tunnels,” International Journal of Aeroacoustics, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 309–331, 2007.
- P. Sijtsma and R. W. Stoker, “Determination of absolute contributions of aircraft noise components using y-over array measurements,” Tech. Rep. NLRTP-2004-167, National Aerospace Laboratory NLR, 2004.
- T. J. Mueller, Ed., Aeroacoustic Measurements, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2002.
- E. Sarradj, “A fast signal subspace approach for the determination of absolute levels from phased microphone array measurements,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 329, no. 9, pp. 1553–1569, 2010.
- T. F. Brooks and W. M. Humphreys, “A A deconvolution approach for the mapping of acoustic sources (DAMAS) determined from phased microphone arrays,” in the 10th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, pp. 1736–1753, May 2004.
- W. K. Blake, Mechanics of Flow-Induced Sound and Vibration, Volume II: Complex Flow-Structure Interactions, Academic Press, 1986.
- R. K. Amiet, “Refraction of sound by a shear layer,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 467–482, 1978.
- R. H. Schlinker and R. K. Amiet, “Refraction and scattering of sound by a shear layer,” Tech. Rep. NAS1-15339, NASA, Langley Research Center under Contract, 1980.
- J. Sanford, “Acoustic refraction: a three-dimensional shear layer correction for microphone measurements in an open-jet acoustic wind tunnel,” Journal of Undergraduate Research, vol. 10, no. 1, 2008.
- P. T. Soderman and C. S. Allen, “Microphone measurements in and out of airstream,” in Aeroacoustic Measurements, Springer Science/Business Media, Berlin, Germany, 2002.
- L. Sachs, Angewandte Statistik, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1984.
- J. Gershfeld, “Leading edge noise from thick foils in turbulent flows,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 1416–1426, 2004.